Keith Baker's Southern gt on the build

Hi all, started the build on the new southern gt in Jan this year and making good progress.
Hoping to have it ready for SVA / IVA around October and in paint over the winter.
So far chassis is all panelled, suspension 90%, steering finished, brake and clutch lines,pedal box 80%, all water pipes and radiator modified and in,fuel tanks and pumps in, loom 50%in. I'm pleased with the progress so far and Mick at Southern seems to keeping me supplied with the parts as and when I need them. Not much to complain about really , well done Mick.
Waiting for the AP brakes at the moment.
Just picked up the air con and other bits
Will get some photos on shortly, this is planned to be a relatively quick build so the photos will be flowing thick and fast.
Going on Holiday for a week tommorrow in the sun to read about cars, life couldn't be better !

Spec... Southern GT chassis
Knight racing services @ Daventry 450 H.P engine ... on build as we speak
Wicked fuel injection system
ZFQ ... sitting in the workshop ready

Re: New southern gt on the build

this is planned to be a relatively quick build

You're not kidding Keith. Jeez it'll be finished by tomorrow at that rate!

What are you planning to do with the car when finished? Any track plans? Look forward to seeing the pics.

Hi all, Here's an update on the Southern GT build with pictures.
Mainly early pictures of the chassis panelled and some of the air con assembly under the dashboard.
note the covers in the cockpit / under the dash which is an IVA requirement to seal the fuel tank area completely from anywhere else.
These are supplied by Southern GT and are a tight but good fit.

Attachments

• web 5932.jpg
    web 5932.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 2,921
  • web 5937.jpg
    web 5937.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 2,546
  • web 5940.jpg
    web 5940.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 2,416
  • web 6275.jpg
    web 6275.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 2,455
  • web 6284.jpg
    web 6284.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 2,293
  • web 6291.jpg
    web 6291.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 2,260
  • web _6281.jpg
    web _6281.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 2,354

Keith

Wow! Doesn't that look neat and tidy! :thumbsup:

I'm off to the Hamble next week to see a yot. How far is SGT from there?

The dash board had to be cut to fit around the roll cage.
The water and air con hoses are all now in, just the fittings to be hydraulically clamped ( this is done at a later date when the final position is confirmed.
I have settled on a colour just got to get the correct specification for it. Metallic blue same as the 2010 Peugeot 908 lemans hybrid.
At this stage I know what wheels are needed and these have been ordered BRM in Matt black, Avon tyres ordered.
Waiting for AP brakes & black seats.

Attachments

• web 6267.jpg
    web 6267.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 2,819

Hamble is not that far fron Southampton so the trip will be well worth it. Mick usually has a few cars in his workshop and ask to see Glenn Masons car, Gulf livery and every bit as good as they get.

Jumped the gun a bit .
Here's a few pics 1,2, & 3 are about 4 weeks or so after the bare chassis arrived ( not powder coated at all ).
The last two are more recent.

Attachments

• web 5842.jpg
    web 5842.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 1,954
  • web 5845.jpg
    web 5845.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 2,011
  • web 2795.jpg
    web 2795.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 1,851
  • web 2796.jpg
    web 2796.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,833
  • web 2797.jpg
    web 2797.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 2,434

Note the spacers on the front and rear suspension.
These are aluminium, they were always stainless on GTD's but Southern GT suggest that the suspension is better for them and less noise transmitted.

Attachments

• web ally 5932.jpg
    web ally 5932.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,807

Today managed to complete the air con system.
Not being able to install the air con unit side ways due to the pedal box it had to go in length ways. Not a problem with space but the routing of the hoses and making them tidy was not easy. Anyway all in and looking good.
Due to the panels under the dash that seal off the fuel area there becomes a restriction for the air vents, therefore I used an alternative vent and the hose has minimal restriction now.

Wiper motor now mounted driver side.

going in to watch the F1 now.

Keith-- Very clean spotless and meticulous work. You're doing a great job. That's really going to look beautiful when you're finished. And I thought I was a killer for cleanliness.

Decided to mount the battery in the front so I needed to make a suitable box.

The dash wiring is installed and marked up ready for the squeezzzzing down , laying upside down for connecting to the gauges.

The wiper motor has been mounted onto a suitable aluminium bracket.
Lastly the air con and heater tubes are all in.

Picked up some parts today, Shocks, springs, seats and tyres.
waiting for the wheels and a few bits.

Attachments

• web 2892.jpg
    web 2892.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 2,039
  • web 2890.jpg
    web 2890.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 2,384
  • web 2856.jpg
    web 2856.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,862
  • web _2850.jpg
    web _2850.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,913

Good job Keith. Looks like your workspace is cleaner than an operating theatre!

I have decided to add an additional aluminium section to the front of the car to tidy it up and look a bit more GT40 'ish'
Having balls'd up the 1st top section by drilling two holes incorrectly I had to make another section, in the end it all fits well and I'm happy with the result. When it's polished a bit it will look good.
pictures 1-4 are before trimming all the edges.
5-8 are nearly there, just a bit more work then the edging trims to fit.
Missing a few countersunk M6 inserts to finish the job.
Trial fitted a seat and then realised how much I'd forgot how cramped these cars are.
As the seat is fixed to the floor the only adjustment will be with the pedal box position.
I could fit an adjustable seat runner but that would raise the seat about 1". so I'll have to think on it.

Attachments

• web j 1.jpg
    web j 1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,619
  • web j 2.jpg
    web j 2.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,702
  • web j 3.jpg
    web j 3.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 1,854
  • web j 4.jpg
    web j 4.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 1,688
  • web j 5.jpg
    web j 5.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,744
  • web j 6.jpg
    web j 6.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 1,638
  • web j 7.jpg
    web j 7.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 1,496
  • web j 8.jpg
    web j 8.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,500

Testament to Southern GT that you get parts that fit first time. Try building an MDA ! That would turn your hair grey real quick (or in my case fall out).
Wished I'd gone for a Southern GT. Shame they weren't on my radar when I made my decision. It would have saved me a lot of pain.
Good luck with the build, looks great.

Martin

Southern Gt has just tried putting an MDA through IVA and it failed, I think they will get it through with extra work ???
Not all the panelling fits 1st time that would be asking too much.
I think most of the panels needed a little trim to get them as I wanted, Southern GT would probably agree. Fortunately I have a manual guilotine and a folder which helps when making another panel when I mess up, which I have done on occasions.
Mark of MDA seems to have made a name for himself but by all accounts not a good one !

Back