Genty`s GTD40 Build Log

Part 1.

Well the (very) Daunting task of the GT40 build process begins.

I have a whole shed load of parts and body panels and brand New double garage in the build. some of the parts are good some not so good. somewhat of a 2 teps back to get going sort of build. The chassis and parts I have purchased have been dormant for 10yrs. a new lease of life heads now there way.

I have been trawling all the build logs and I have had great deal of support and advice from many members, trust me it is all heeded.
25 yrs in engineering design, fabrication and construction should see me through. I hope ??
I now work mainly from home designing and building water recycling and biological water treatment systems for industrial applications using my own polymeric UF membranes (little plug there, sorry ).

Job List 1 :

Remove all Ali uprights, brakes, coils and wishbones, strip and clean.
Shot balst corroded chassis / tub parts & treat

Spec at present :
GTD chassis ( at least I think It is )

Rose jointed
Roy Smart engine mounts
Anti roll bars
Ali uprights front and rear
Steering rack
6x piston Wilwood calipers front 4x piston rears
Front window screen (Cracked :furious:)

6x pin knock on hubs
Outer door handles
Front nose clip / full vent opening( want twin)

Rear clip
Roof spider
2x side sill / rocker panels
2x doors with inside pockets
Good second hand head lights (corroded )

1 Rear light (simca)

Demister vent
Battery isolation switch
Good second hand high torque starter motor
Motolite steering wheel
Side windows
Headlight covers
2x fuel filler caps.
Front to rear stainless cooling pipes

Propsed Engine/ trans body build spec

ford 302
ali heads
48 IDF webers
maybe Renault transaxle
electric water Pump
Maybe dry sump with oil cooler and pump.
Twin fuel pumps and filters.
aircon

so if any of you guys have any GT40 parts collecting dust on the shelves or not wanted give me a shout or if you can give me some good sources for parts I would welcome any feedback.

cheers for now

I have odds and sods around, if you need anything post on the forum, If I have something I dont need you can have it.
Advise of course is always there and FREE.
Post some pictures, GTD Chassis ? Someone will say ya or na

I thin it is. I think Simon Winter owned it at one point.

Genty, I am up your way soon camping in two weeks for a long weekend. If you wanted a chat I could always persuade the wife to go to a pub and meet you by chance ;) LOL

I have been building my GTD for 6-7 years now; but I readily admit I am a/easily distracted, b/ have other matters (family and work), c/ have other hobbies that take time (cycling) and also I have to save up for large ticket bits.

Brett

Hi Brett,

A chance meeting in our local pub would be great, and you would be welcome to come and visit the GTD, well that sounds bizarre !!
The Rose and crown in snettisham, norfolk is often frequented by myself and good lady.
Where are you camping ? maybe I could get that way ?

Im sure many people saw the GT project, it was on this site, still trying to locate chassis no, its not in the normal place on front cross member, next to check is inside inspection panel behind driver seat area ?. I understand an original invoice is required for the IVA test, not sure how toovercome this as I have no incoices for anything !

Mark

Keith,

Thanks for the offer.
Probably easier if you let me know what bits you have, as I need pretty much everything except as per list above.

cheers

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mark,

I will be sending your GT40 Enthusiasts Club membership pack out today. Sorry for the delay from last week, I wasn't about at the weekend (50% due to Goodwood FoS).

Cheers and welcome,

Max

Mark,
I think the wife has booked us into somewhere called Kelling Heath up by Holt. I reckon its about 30 miles away from you by the good church of Google...

Any recommendations in the local area. Maybe we could also 'chance' to be in the same pub as Andy Green as well...

I'll PM you my mobile number and email. If you send me pics, I will be able to tell you if its a GTD or not. We can also talk about invoices...

Brett

Brett,
I get over to Kelling Heath every year for a meet-up with the brother-in-law, a very pleasant area. Keep me posted on the dates and I'll see if I can get over
Rgds
Andy

Brett,

I have been to Kelling heath a couple of times, I am sure you will enjoy. and Holt is a very nice town. Let me know dates etc and I am sure a chance meeting ( Inc Andy ) could be arranged. I will find out some good venues in the locality.

Ps got your e mail and phone so will contact you.

cheers

Mark,

I live just over the border from you in Suffolk, just ten minutes from Snetterton circuit,
have built and worked on loads of GTDs and know the chassis/parts that you have just purchased from Saxmundham very well.

If i can be of any help just private mail me.

Regards,

Graham.

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Guys,

Earlier this year there was talk of an East Anglia regional group being set up within the club. I identified all the members in the region at the time, but there are a few more now. If anyone is intrested in taking this further, please send me a PM or email.

Cheers,

Max

Mark, Andy,
Forgot to say I'll be up at Kelling Heath this weekend. By pure coincidence there is beer festival at Sherringham this weekend... I'll be there tomrrow... ;)

Call me on my mobile if you fancy trying to grab a pint.

Brett

Back