Geoff's KVA Rebuild Log

Hi All,

It's been suggested that I should belatedly start a log of the rebuild of my KVA C-type.

I have been dreaming of one day owning a GT40 since I attended Le Mans in 1967.

It was only as KVA/GTD appeared on the scene, that I realised that it was a possibility, but still beyond my finances.

However, last year, the situation changed, and after discussing it with my wife, we decided on a budget, which would allow me to buy a basic replica. I wanted one that required finishing, tidying or uprating.

Tony Hunt warned me off, saying it would be an expensive way of doing things........How right he was, but all my fault.

After a month or two, I found 'my' car in Bristol.

One look at it and I was in love again.

Basically, it was roughly as I would have built one myself, and just needed tidying and one or two things changing to suit my views of how a GT40 should look.

It turned out to be a (So far) 11 month rebuild.

The car as I first saw it:

Attachments

• KVA at R. NYES (2).JPG
    KVA at R. NYES (2).JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 455
Within minutes (OK - A bit longer) a deal was done.

A quick (very!!) trip around Bristol, and I at last owned my GT40.

My son, Andrew, and I trailered it home on cloud nine, and then crawled all over it.

hi, congrats, looking good.
and yes we like to see more pictures...
when you load them up on another photo website, you can copy the http? link and place that in the place when you click the square "insert image" button...

Nice log so far Geoff. Looking forward to more updates. It's good to see a kit of similar vintage to our KCC, although yours looks like it's in far better shape.

I THINK I've got the photos sorted!

These should show the front and rear suspension and the view with the rear clip off.

I was warned thast there was a bit of oil seepage - Thought to be from the crank rear main bearing seal.

So the first job was to remove the engine.

Attachments

• KVA - LH FRONT SUSPENSION 003.JPG
    KVA - LH FRONT SUSPENSION 003.JPG
    636.1 KB · Views: 551
  • KVA - REAR CLIP OFF 001.jpg
    KVA - REAR CLIP OFF 001.jpg
    641.4 KB · Views: 629
  • KVA - REAR CLIP OFF 003.jpg
    KVA - REAR CLIP OFF 003.jpg
    645.6 KB · Views: 497
Everybody said - No problem, just whip out the engine and gearbox!
With everything out, we turned over the engine (Very top heavy), and found that the pin in the rear main bearing cap had been removed. and the resulting hole not sealed up. Using Tom Monroe's excellent book, a new seal was installed, and the whole thing bolted up, and the engine and box dropped back in.
Now after two months, it was time to to drive it.

Attachments

• KVA - GEARBOX OUT.JPG
    KVA - GEARBOX OUT.JPG
    650 KB · Views: 659
  • CIMG5090.JPG
    CIMG5090.JPG
    645.3 KB · Views: 445
  • CIMG5095.JPG
    CIMG5095.JPG
    641.8 KB · Views: 398
Back