Superformance Mk 1 Heading Downunder

I don't know whether posting about a turnkey Superformance GT40 qualifies me to start a build log or not, however, here goes. I have recently ordered a Mk 1 (chassis # P2288) through the Australian agent, Colin Turner of Cobra Technology and last week I received 2 photo's of my car sitting in the paint shop at Hi-tech having its two gold GT stripes masked and painted. I have chosen the Alan Mann Racing colours of Monza Red with the Gold stripes. The engine is being built in Melbourne by Wellco and will be a 351 Windsor and the transaxle will be a Quaife ZFR. I'm expecting more photos re: the building process and, of course I will post lots of photos after the cars arrival in Australia, showing the final assembly.

The decision to order a Superformance GT40 was based on two simple factors, (1) I'm not mechanically gifted, so the option of a do-it-yourself kit car was not one I could consider and (2) the opportunity to buy a turn-key rolling chassis with 'continuation' status and chassis number, was an option to good to resist.

So when did the GT40 bug bite? well like many others, it struck me in 1965. Six years earlier I had gotten to know the late and great Aussie sports car driver, Paul Hawkins, quite well. Paul worked for my next door neighbour at his garage/ gas station in the Melbourne suburb of Heidelberg. I was eight at the time and I would hang around the garage ogling over all the sports cars that would decend on the place each Saturday, in particular, Paul's Austin-Healey 100/S. After Paul left for Europe to begin one of the best racing careers for an Aussie (along side Jack Brabham & Frank Gardner), he would regularly send back to his mates at the garage a cross section of English motoring magazines. It was by reading through those mag's that I not only got to appreciate Paul outstanding career, but it started my nearly 50 year long love affair with the GT40.

I can still remember seeing my first photo of a Mk 1 GT40 and thinking, "that has to be one of the most beautiful car's ever made" and I still think the same today. So; after nearly 50 years of dreaming about the best car Ford has ever made, I'm now about to be the proud owner of one.

I will look forward to further postings.

Rob Kann

Attachments

• GTP2288-01.jpg
    GTP2288-01.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 653
  • GTP2288-02.jpg
    GTP2288-02.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 583
I bet your like a dog with two tails.
How long will it be from order to on the road ?

It's a shame you Aussie dont know how to drive

Only Joking

Mark
Thank you. You have excellent taste in classic sports cars yourself; the P3/4 were two of the best Ferrari models raced.

Keith
To say that I am really looking forward to getting the car on the road would be a gross understatement. All going well it should arrive in Melbourne mid October and have the final assembly finished by mid to late November.
As for Aussie drivers, Mr Webber's not doing a bad job of keeping Mr Hamilton and Mr Button honest, don't you think?

Cheers,
Rob

I guess I can't argue with that.
I met Mark Webber when he was with Williams, I was on a jolly with RBS.
Nice guy I remember he had a handshake that ripped your arm off.

Keep us posted

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Rob,

Congratulation, i too love the Alan Mann colors!

I can tell from your posts that you will love your car.

Now comes the big wait, i know from April when I ordered her and the end of September when I picked P2264 up, seemed like years and years.

With the Aussie dollar going hard right now, buying in a completed car less motor/trans is a smart thing for sure.

How will you go for rego with a Superperformance? Am I right in guessing you'll be going the VIC club rego 90 day permit thing? Jealous we don't have that here in WA, but no matter for me now as I've already jumped through the ICV NCOP ADR hoops (enough acronymns there already?).

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Rob - Congratulations... Love the Mann Livery myself as well....

I must say that the shop it's pictured in is spankin' immaculate!

Jim,
Thank you for you best wishes and yes, I am eagerly awaiting the car's arrival in Australia.
I chose the Alan Mann colours because (1) they are a great colour combination that suits the shape of the GT40 and (2) because as you would well know,Alan Mann ran his two lightweight GT40's (AMGT 1 & AMGT 2) in those colours and AMGT 2 was later bought by Paul Hawkins. It's my way of paying tribute to one of the UK's best racing teams as well as one of Australia's best drivers (in my opinion).

Julian
All of the Superformance GT40's that are manufactured for Australia are ADR compliant. They have the side intrusion bars fitted, the strengthened door mountings etc, etc and they all have three point inernia reel seat belts fitted. All you have to do (as I've been reliably informed) to get them registered (in Victoria at least) is to fit a late model engine that complies with the emmision control reg's and an engineers certificate and then present it to Vicroads.
The dilemma I had was that whilst I wanted the car to be registered, I also wanted it to be 'period correct' in terms of the engine and transaxle. When the Victorian government changed the club registration rules in January this year to give cars like the GT40 a 90 day per annum permit, it solved my problem. Hence the 351W/ZFR combination.

Randy
Thank you for your best wishes. The paint shop in question is part of the Hi-tech factory in South Africa. If the rest of the factory is as immaculate as the paint shop, then its little wonder that their built quality is so good.

Back