A Tornado in Yorkshire

Hi all.
Time to start a build log.
On saturday the 10th of March I collected my kit from Tornado.

I must say a big thanks to Andy for his excellent body fitting service, although I'm not convinced the parcel tape will pass IVA. :)
IMG_5909.jpg

And here it is in its home for the foreseeable future.
IMG_5914.jpg

I'm fortunate enough to have a good sized, well lit garage to build it in, and I already wish I had more space. My hat goes off to anyone building a car in a single garage, and the few builders I've seen working outdoors under tarpaulins should receive a medal.

More to follow soon.

Jason

Hi Jason, Good luck with the build keep all informed of the progress.
And yes the parcel tape will pass the IVA as long as the radias is ok
Andy's cars are usually only held together with tape anyway.

Joking !

Regards

Now I'm officially jealous :embarassed:

Must be awesome to have a quality GT40 manufacturer near you, no waiting and no shipping charges!!

Anyways, congratulations Jason, I'll follow your build with interest :thumbsup:

Hi all

Not much progress at the moment as I'm still waiting for an order of aluminium sheet to arrive so that I can start on the chassis.
Another job for me to start is the prep and painting of all the suspension components.
I'm not a huge fan of polished chrome, and my budget was a bit limited when I ordered the kit so I opted to tackle these myself.
I'm going to sand blast them, then etch prime them before painting with high quality dark chrome paint and 2 pack laquer. I'm hoping for an effect that still looks like metal, without the mirror finish of chrome.
More pics to come when I get some paint on them.
IMG_5916.jpg

Hi Jason,
Congratulations on your purchase. I’m sure that you’ll have a rewarding and frustrating few years ahead of you.
Before you paint your suspension parts, you may want to spend a few hours with a grinder/flap wheel dressing all the welds. The rear yokes specifically look so much better with a bit of TLC (see below)
Regards,
Andy

Attachments

• Rear Yokes.JPG
    Rear Yokes.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 956
Hi all

Some good progress today. All the suspension parts are now painted. I originally planed to do the uprights in black, but I liked the silver so much they got painted as well. Tomorrow the uprights will get a coat of cavity wax on the inside.
IMG_0636.jpgIMG_0643.jpg

I also managed to panel the underside of the chassis. A fairly easy job as half of it is already done by the lowered floorpans. Tomorrow, I'll coat all the underside in underseal, then it can be put back on its stand ready for the main paneling.
IMG_0648.jpgIMG_0651.jpg

More progress with the build.
The underside of the chassis has been sprayed with anti stone chip paint.
IMG_0766.jpg

Today the car went back on its stand and I got the tanks fitted.
IMG_0768.jpg

I've started making templates for the paneling. I'll start cutting tomorrow.

Thanks Jon. The paint I used on the suspension parts is black chrome from outrageousfinishes.co.uk, the under chasis paint is Dinitrol black stone chip paint.
Jason

Hi Jason,
Why are you making the ally panelling, Tornado supply the panels pre made dont they ?
It's far easier and probably by the time you bugger up a few panels probably cheaper.
To form angles and cut straight sharp lines you should have the right equipment or use of it.
Or is it the challenge ?
I made all the pannelling on one of my Ultimas and although it did look good, wish I'd bought them ready made.

Hi Jason,
Why are you making the ally panelling, Tornado supply the panels pre made dont they ?
It's far easier and probably by the time you bugger up a few panels probably cheaper.
To form angles and cut straight sharp lines you should have the right equipment or use of it.
Or is it the challenge ?
I made all the pannelling on one of my Ultimas and although it did look good, wish I'd bought them ready made.

Only SGT panels are pre bent, Tornado require you to make your own from scratch, one on the reasons I think I will be going with a SGT:undecided:

Hi Paul, You wont go far wrong with the SGT.
Although in honesty you will need to trim some of the SGT panels depending on how fussy you are. And I am fussy.
There are so many panels on a 40 I can't see why folks dont buy them ready made unless Tornado are charging a fortune for them, they shouldn't do, as once you have the patterns there a doddle.
Perhaps manufacturers should supply downloadable patterns for those who want to self make !

Jason, If you do make your own use the correct ally I believe it's NS4 16 gauge others may know better !
There's a web site Aluminium warehouse that's good value.
Theres loads of advise on this forum on fitting them. Also consider sikaflex sealing some panels during construction it will stop vibrations and save time later, all making for a better car at the end.
Good Luck, Keep posting

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Keith

Please do not use our customers build threads to recommend other companies products especially when they are not paying vendors on GT40s.com.

All of our panel dimensions are contained in the build manual in the form of drawings.

Our monocoue chassis does not require any panelling.

Thanks

Andy

Throughout history, (not quite, but stay with me), build threads have contained discussions of other ways of doing job A, or how other manufacturers make part B etc etc. Are build threads officially sponsored by kit suppliers now?

Frankly, IMO, other peoples build threads are the single best place to see, discuss, and perhaps decide how to aproach your own build.

If kit makers were to stop such healthy debate, this would become carmakerx.com

Back