GT40s.com
MK-I  MK-II  MK-III  MK-IV  GULF  MIRAGE  J-CAR  LOLA
GT40s.com
Home Forum Gallery Support GT40s.com  
Register FAQ Advertisers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GT40s.com > >

Notices

GT40 Build Logs For build threads and build diaries only.

Old 10th December 2017, 11:24 PM   #81
Big-Foot
Administrator
United States

GT40: Gulf Cart
Re: Dwight's RCR GT 40

Persistence pays off... Hang in there Dwight.
Oh and yes, I think a heat shield in the back clip will pay dividends... I had made a template to copy onto ~20g Stainless Steel (to be polished). That steel was to be screwed/bolted in place using the Oak structure we both glassed in place.
GT40 RCR40 #45 G50-331-Weber IDAs ((Sold))
My build site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Big-Foot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017, 09:58 AM   #82
Dwight
Silver Supporter
United States

GT40: RCR GT 40
Smile Re: Dwight's RCR GT 40

For the last few weeks I have worked on my alignment. Last week I took it to a local alignment shop but after an hour they gave up. I think with so many ways to adjust everything the technician was overwhelmed and gave up. I called the roll back to take the car back to my shop where I used string, protractor and levels to get it close enough to put the body on for body alignment.
Keith Wilson is coming over later this month with his Snap On alignment tools to finish.

I made two stand offs for the front clip using Keith's design. I glassed in 20 holes on the two sills yesterday. That will be the last thing I'll do to the body. Everything else will be done by the painter.

Yesterday I took the front clip and nostril to the paint shop just so I would feel like I'm getting something done.The nostril was high on the corners and low in the middle. I guess he is going to grind and bondo to make it fit better. I think as he looked at this small part of the project the price doubled. We will see. Just as long as it looks great when he finishes.
When we traded, me assembling his paint booth for a paint job we both missed the amount of work involved. We though I could put the booth together in three weeks. It took seven. When he finishes the paint job we see who got the better deal.

The front clip had been sand down in another shop a few years ago. Tommy my new painter told me the red stuff we could see was lacquer primer and would have to be sanded off so it would not bleed through. He did say that the Epoxy primer may cover it but he did want to take a chance.
He said they would work on it this weekend.

Oh, we talked about fiberglass repairs shrinking under the paint. A problem I had with my Cobra. For the last two summers I have left the body outside in the sun hoping that would help in curing the fiberglass.
So he is going to put the body pieces in the paint booth and bake them at 160 degrees before he primes them.
I like the way he is taking a serious interest in my car. I'm hoping for a great paint job.

Dwight

Just found a box on the front porch with my new side window and headlight / turn signal covers

Thanks Mark
They look perfect and well boxed.

Last edited by Dwight; 29th December 2017 at 10:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2017, 01:52 PM   #83
Big-Foot
Administrator
United States

GT40: Gulf Cart

Progress! Keep chipping away....

Aligning cars like this with all rod-ends is an absolute bugger... I drilled holes in the front of my RCR tub way back in 2007 in order to make it easier to get the front lower control arm bolts out/in during adjustment... Now it appears RCR is delivering them that way as I’ve seen a few others with similar holes.
BTW - We’ve aligned 200 mph race cars with strings and it worked just fine...
GT40 RCR40 #45 G50-331-Weber IDAs ((Sold))
My build site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Big-Foot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2018, 01:29 AM   #84
Robert Rauch
Rookie
United States

GT40: Project

Nice work.
Robert Rauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2018, 08:54 PM   #85
Dwight
Silver Supporter
United States

GT40: RCR GT 40
Smile Re: Dwight's RCR GT 40

Today Keith Wilson drove over from Huntsville ( about 80 miles from Florence) to help me align my GT 40.
We spend the first half hour looking around my shop, checking out my shooting pit and BS'ing. Next half hour we unloaded his Snap On tools, two 2" x 12" x 10' and set up the car. Then we went to lunch.
After lunch he went to work. An hour and half later he was finished.

He made it look easy. I've spend a lot of hours try to get it close only to get frustrated and quit.

So a big thanks to Keith for his help.
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote