JaseH's GTForte

Hi all

I picked up my GT Forte froms Darrens the other week. Placed my order at the end of February and had an email when I was over in Australia at my fiancee's sisters wedding at the beginning of April saying that it was ready to pickup! It said 8 - 12 weeks delivery time so I wasnt ready for the kit as you can see by my garage photo! Nice one to Darren for the fast delivery time and for all the help in getting it in the van, top bloke and has been kind enough to send me a set of panel drawings too! Cheers Darren.

I thought a Movano would be big enough to pickup the carbut we couldnt get the Ali sheet in as well as the other bits, brother is working in the area this week so will hopefully pickup the sheet plus the black springs (They sent Darren yellow by mistake!) and some suspension fixings.
I havent had chance to do much yet as I was away last week and was'nt prepared for the kit. Garage is nearly clear and organised and when I get the sheet I will be starting on the floor pan. I'm a complete noob at this sort of thing so you will probably find me asking alot of very dumb questions over the years so apologies in advance. I'm not putting any time limits on my build but if I can get it done within 5 years then I'll be chuffed.

So here's a few pic's of me picking up the car.

PS Thanks to Dave (Fastdruid) for helping me with my questions etc

Attachments

• IMAG0208.jpg
    IMAG0208.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 1,075
  • IMAG0209.jpg
    IMAG0209.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 1,144
  • IMAG0217.jpg
    IMAG0217.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 1,072

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations Jayson!

Looks like you've got a bit of a tight squeeze in that shed!

Great JaseH! Congrats, I can see some panels inside the rear clip's wheel wells, Does Darren includes those already molded in the clip?? If so great!! Darren its really imroving really fast!

Yeah Dave is a great guy, he answers every silly/noobish question that I throw at him :thumbsup:

Hi Enrique, yes, those panels are moulded inside the clip.

Randy. Rooms bloody tight but it will do for the time being, its actually a bit better now as Ive moved some more stuff out.

Still awaiting my aluminium so Ive been getting a few more tools courtesy of CBS and machinemart and making some panel templates out of card. Ive been using the drawings supplied and then double checking them and amending them as necessary and putting them into a build folder. These drawings will be sent to a shop to be laser/water cut when I get my ali. Concentrating on the 1.5mm panels first so done sill tops and will do underfloor panels when I get to turn the car. I'm awaiting the ali before I do this so I can get the whole floor panel process done asap so the chassis is inverted for the minimal amount of time necessary.

Ive got some pics of my templates in place but left phone at home today so will upload later :).

Just a few pics of my template progress so far. Going to do a few more tonight.

Attachments

• IMAG0292.jpg
    IMAG0292.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 878
Hi Dave

Not sure what its called. Its backing card for picture frames and is about 1.5mm thick. My friend owns a picture frame shop so let me have a few large sheets for cost and a whole bag of smaller sized old sheets for free.

Cut the front bulkhead template out lastnight.

Last edited:
Still awaiting my aluminium so Ive been getting a few more tools...

Pretty sure Darren is offering a pre-cut version now so if it hasn't shipped and you want to go that route it might be something to look into.

I'm waiting to hear back from a couple local metal cutters (use lasers and robots) to see which way I will go, but for the 25 or so panels you need, I think Darren's quote was pretty fair.

My car should ship early next month so I am really interested in your build log! Thanks for it.

Darrin

Hi Darrin

Darrens price is very good, I was tempted but it was something I fancied trying, I did get some drawings from him (Not quite complete set) which I have checked and amended as was necessary for my chassis. Ive been re-doing the drawings as I go, I think Ive done about 75% of the panel templates now which is good and a good timing because my ali turned up on monday. Got to turn the chassis over tonight to do the underside panels.

Ive been getting quotes to get the panels laser/water cut and for the 1.5mm panels only (10 panels) Ive had quotes ranging from £80.00 - £150.00 plus tax (20%). What do you guys think? Should I just go ahead and cut them myself?

Do you guys have an overlap between panels A & B (See drawing) on your wheel arches or did you just butt them together then apply some sealant between? Panel C has been awkward because there is no vertical bar to attach to at the back, I think Ive got a panel worked out now though :)
Also did you make your footwell front panel out of 2 sheets or one with a 90 deg bend?

Cheers

Jase

Attachments

• IMAG0308 - Edit.jpg
    IMAG0308 - Edit.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 761
Ive been getting quotes to get the panels laser/water cut and for the 1.5mm panels only (10 panels) Ive had quotes ranging from £80.00 - £150.00 plus tax (20%). What do you guys think? Should I just go ahead and cut them myself?

I'm planning to cut the panels with one of these. No doubt it will be a bit fiddly setting up an edge for the machine to run against the first few times. But after a few cuts and I've got the hang of it, I'm hoping it will be a reasonably simple and quick process. Time will tell....

Hi James,
Cut them yourself & save the money. That circular saw look complete overkill for alumium panels a few mm thick. I used a B&D jisaw, with (and the important bit) 18 or 20Tpi blades. If your worried about a wobbly line (like a few of mine are, but is not notiecable on the finished product) work against a straight edge.
Regards,
Andy

Looks like a nice bit of kit. Will you use a nibbler/shears etc for the more fiddly bits then? As an alternative to getting them done I was thinking of the jigsaw or 1mm disc/Angle griner to cut.

Back