Belinda's build chassis 17

QWMGwaBl.jpg
So this is her new home.

This is how we bought the KVA, will be living here for a while, we have stripped off panels and sold the chassis with the engine to Claude from Dijon in France. So as previously said build has gone backwards. We made the decision to buy a new chassis from Mick at Southern GT. Chassis number 17.

Glenn M

Supporter
Good move Belinda, you won't regret that decision. It's a brilliant chassis and they're a really helpful bunch.

Good luck

Glenn

Excellent progress so far, not sure I will be going as quick as you! How have you found the panel fit so far? Is there much fettling to do?

Quite a bit on some of the panels.Had to take couple of the panels back to Mick for re shaping. We are pleased with how it is coming along. We used a drill template to space all the rivets out evenly, may sound a bit of a faff, but think it is worth it.

Quite a bit on some of the panels.Had to take couple of the panels back to Mick for re shaping. We are pleased with how it is coming along. We used a drill template to space all the rivets out evenly, may sound a bit of a faff, but think it is worth it.

Ahh, I was hoping they would fit like a glove, still must be easier than starting from scratch and at least I work only a few miles away from mick :) what are you using to trim the panels where required?

I hear you/your husband were talking to Chris Cole today, I have had my gearbox reconditioned by him, he seems like a bloody nice and helpful chap. I should get my box back on Thursday so if you would like I will do you some before and after pictures as Chris said you were keen to see one.

What did you make your rivet spacer out of, is it piece of angle ally? And what spacing are you using? Sorry for all the questions but that will teach you for doing such a good job on yours that I want to copy it:laugh:

Paul

Unfortunately some of the panels need quite a lot of minor adjustment. That would be helpful to see photos before and after the rebuild on the gearbox. Our gearbox should go up to Chris soon, we were going to refurb ourselves but it seems a lot easier to send to Chris. Our spacer is from roof trim from when we built our garage it just makes life so much easier if you clamp it before drilling the holes.Will post more photos soon.

Unfortunately some of the panels need quite a lot of minor adjustment. That would be helpful to see photos before and after the rebuild on the gearbox. Our gearbox should go up to Chris soon, we were going to refurb ourselves but it seems a lot easier to send to Chris. Our spacer is from roof trim from when we built our garage it just makes life so much easier if you clamp it before drilling the holes.Will post more photos soon.

Just posted some pics in my build thread of Chris's hard work:thumbsup:

Hi Belinda,

This might be too late, but if your chassis is powder coated it is much easier to ream out the holes in the locating brackets on the chassis for the front wishbones before putting on all of the aluminium panels. I had to do it after and it was a pig though possible. The lower attachments were much more difficult than the upper.

In fact with hindsight (I have SGT 15) I should have cleaned out all the holes and threads on the chassis before I started, but it gave me a good excuse to curse loudly!

Regards,

Neil

Hi Neil,

Prob a daft question but how do you ream them out? I was planning to just run a file through my holes, oooerr....

Paul

Hi Belinda,

This might be too late, but if your chassis is powder coated it is much easier to ream out the holes in the locating brackets on the chassis for the front wishbones before putting on all of the aluminium panels. I had to do it after and it was a pig though possible. The lower attachments were much more difficult than the upper.

In fact with hindsight (I have SGT 15) I should have cleaned out all the holes and threads on the chassis before I started, but it gave me a good excuse to curse loudly!

Regards,

Neil

Back