Bob's DRB Build #112

Time to start a build log, I picked up my BCU on Thursday late afternoon, and with the help of Peter, and Gary and Mirnes, managed to get the unit strapped down on to the trailer, I had to transport it on the caster frames, as access to my garage is a challenge. I had to reverse up a steep drive, then 90 degree turn, tested my manoeuvring skills, but got it first go.
But is now in and the build can start, I have 3 weeks holiday over Christmas, so have lots of time.
I have done a few ground up restorations on vehicles over the years but this is my first ICV.

Attachments

• IMG_6273.jpg
    IMG_6273.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 568
  • photo (5).jpg
    photo (5).jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 499
  • 20131219_165751.jpg
    20131219_165751.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 458
Bob, I'm new to this and want to know what a DRB is and BCU. I to have
a couple of restorations under my belt. I'm looking at what GT40 I want to Build.
Good Luck, John

Hi John,
DRB is the company that manufactures the GT40 kit, and a BCU is the Body and Chassis Unit. There are a few in the US and owners are active in this forum.

Hey Bob,
Good on ya there are afew of us around the Brisbane suburbs. Myself (RF) Pete McCluskey's (DRB) happy to help with any tips.

I will send you my mobile on private email

Well it's been a while, I have been busy, working my way through the first tasks.
Cross member is made and fitted, steering column is mounted, centre tunnel and seats in but not fastened, waiting for my pedals to arrive, should be on Monday, so I can position everything, fuel tanks are in, and just working on the filler and breather tubes.

I have made the parts for the door locks, exterior handles are nearly finished, but I have a question about the interior door handles, I would like to put them in the position shown, as I think the shape sort of follows the door quite well, but everyone seems to put them at the bottom of the door, am I missing something?

Cheers
Bob

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 474
Bob,
The reason they are usually installed (door pulls) at the bottom of the door is because they are easiest to reach there. (and if you were strapped in tight, you could shove out with your elbow while pulling the handle if something were to go wrong)

Just what I have seen/heard, Scott

Bob,
Looks like you are making good progress. Slow and easy is the way. You have some good local support for your build. Wish I had had some at times.(local that is) Mine is DRB#5 and probably the oldest of the DRBs running. You will go through some trials and tribulations but the end result is worth it. My build thread is not a complete one as other threads were started with individual problems that arose during the build. Mine was a rather long build. If I can be of assistance just drop me a line. Glad to help out. I think you will love the seats you have chosen. They will give you great side support. Just what you need.
BTW Your interior handles look very nice. I chose the bottom of the door front for mine. It seemed to be more of a natural reach for me. I used Toyota handles and had to incorporate a turn buckle to get it up to the opener. All Toyota parts. When you get your seat belts in, see if you have to reach forward with them on for the handle . That may help you make up your mind. Think about adding door poppers to help get the doors started when opening. I mounted mine at the rear of the doors.

Bill

Thanks for the advice, I will need to work out where they go, good idea to get strapped in and see if I can reach the handle, thanks Bill and Scott

Cheers

Bob

Hi bob ive done the same thing to my drb gt40 if you want an engine adapter try BNC products Chris Hatfield on 0418 731 528 he has the plates but you will need to grind away some of the backing plate to clear the rear crank sensor also i needed to move the engine mounts back 20mm on the chassis and cut 20mm out of the head frame to fit the motor in the bay as the 5.0 is 50mm longer than the 5.4

also bnc make the clevis,s for the rear suspension. and there is a bolt place in oxenford on the eastern side of the motorway that supply's all the bolts for drb (sorry i can't remember the name) and have them a bit cheaper, and try Paul from rage racing in nerang he makes the sway bar bits and steering link you will need also he's very helpful for custom stuff and try mcdonald bros racing for the heim joints you will need for the rear suspension

Thanks Darren,

I know Chris quite well, I his bought his manufacturing company 8 odd years ago, and keep in touch with him, I have bought an adaptor plate set and clutch from him recently.
BNC Products supply high quality parts with the best service.

Back