Andrew's GT Forte build.

Ok, maybe a bit early to start the build thread but i am too excited.
Order is placed and kit is due 1st June 2014. This is the long awaited realisation of a long held dream to have one of these iconic cars ever since it caprtured my heart when i was a small boy in the late 60's.

So I have about 8 weeks to kick my garage into shape and get all the tools required.

Andrew

Andrew, would normally say go for it, but you've done that bit, congrats and welcome to the club. If you need any advice, there are loads of helpful people around here, even the silliest question can generate meaningful answers. K

Good luck with the build. Several of us here are building this same car (with a few of us in the US building the Coyote powered version) so if you have questions hopefully we will be able to answer them for you.

NickD

Supporter
Good luck bud.

Were not too far apart time wise. What have you gone for given the varied options ?

Best, Nick D.

Good luck bud.

Were not too far apart time wise. What have you gone for given the varied options ?

Best, Nick D.

So far, Mk 1 body, maybe need gurney bubble.
Will be trying to stick to original spec where possible including the wheel and knock on spinners, but they are away off yet.

Are you building the Gt Forte too ?
What stage you at ?

Just got the manual yesterday, but not had time to read it yet.

Andrew

Congratulations! Good luck with the build. Hope you can contain your excitment - I know it's quite hard too :)

I am going to burst when it gets here !
Just going to content myself with getting the garage and the tools sorted out first.

Im am lucky enough to have a triple garage, but think the wifes car is going to have to live outside during the summer.

Have attached a couple of pictures of the garage to this post !
Needs a dam good clean !

Andrew

Attachments

• IMAG0370.jpg
    IMAG0370.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 877
  • IMAG0371.jpg
    IMAG0371.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 782
Picked up an Audi 01E gearbox of the internet with 60K miles on the clock. You can never tell but it appears to be in good condition, but has sat for a year or two and not turned over.
Planning to open it up and give it a bit of a rebuild, although i doubt it will need it, but would hate to put it in the car and find out it has an issue.

Anyone done this before, or got words of wisdom on how to check it over with out the need for open heart surgery ?

Andrew

Last edited:
I decided that with the relatively low cost of the 01E and the cost, lack of spares and expertise required to rebuild that with a relatively low powered engine it wasn't worth even opening it up as long as all the gears engaged. I just made sure I could engage all and turning the input shaft resulted in the output shafts turning with no nasty noises or grinding.

If it does have issues I'll pull it and either rebuild or replace, it's probably cheaper to replace as I don't believe you can get all the spares for it and by the time you're replaced only a few another s/h box would be cheaper.

I will replace the oil though and just checking that should tell you if there are any major issues (remains of teeth etc).

I decided that with the relatively low cost of the 01E and the cost, lack of spares and expertise required to rebuild that with a relatively low powered engine it wasn't worth even opening it up as long as all the gears engaged. I just made sure I could engage all and turning the input shaft resulted in the output shafts turning with no nasty noises or grinding.

If it does have issues I'll pull it and either rebuild or replace, it's probably cheaper to replace as I don't believe you can get all the spares for it and by the time you're replaced only a few another s/h box would be cheaper.

I will replace the oil though and just checking that should tell you if there are any major issues (remains of teeth etc).

I think you are right, a clean and change of oil and a quick turnover maybe the way forward. Opening it up may do more harm than good.

Andrew

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your build.

Start clearing the garage out now, you'll never have enough room for all the stuff...
The two motorcycles are great for storing front clip on the top of them... ask me how I know... :laugh:

I have a two bay (I don't call it two car because a car was never in it) garage and wish it was a 20 bay...

Enjoy the build!

Regards,
Renato

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your build.

Start clearing the garage out now, you'll never have enough room for all the stuff...
The two motorcycles are great for storing front clip on the top of them... ask me how I know... :laugh:

I have a two bay (I don't call it two car because a car was never in it) garage and wish it was a 20 bay...

Enjoy the build!

Regards,
Renato

I can imagine how the bike become useful tables, but what did you do ?

Andrew

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Well, I had a similar situation as you and when the kit came the bikes couldn't go outside so they became a shelf... :)
Between work, car build and other stuff unfortunately I don't get to ride the bikes often...

Beside the bikes I have two race karts (they became shelves also) mill and a lathe... it gets crowded really quick. I suppose most of us lack enough space to comfortably build the car... but, that makes it more fun...

BTW, I'm also using a 01E. Are you planning to put an LSD in it?

Regards,
Renato

Congtats Andrew.

You should make a rolling build table , about knee height with storage area underneath.
When the weather is good you can roll it out and work outside.
Plus if you need to rearrange things within the shop its easier to move the car out.

Jim

I think almost all of us wish we had a larger garage! I wish I had room for a milling machine but there is no chance.

Seems I'm not the only one using the bikes as shelves! My build has been slacking at the moment due to (amongst other things) sorting out one of the bikes to sell. :) I'm not looking forward to getting it out past the GT40 though, this was when the garage was nice and empty and it would have been tricky to get it out then!
DSC07494.JPG

(that's the tail of it on the left btw).

I have a factory and still runout of space.
The trick is put wheels on everything so you can move stuff out of the work area.

All the heavy stuff I have brackets down low to get the speedy jacks on and pump it up and just lift it of the ground to move it

Jim

Congtats Andrew.

You should make a rolling build table , about knee height with storage area underneath.
When the weather is good you can roll it out and work outside.
Plus if you need to rearrange things within the shop its easier to move the car out.

Jim

I was planning that, but i do like the idea of being able to roll it outside to work on in the good weather.

Andrew

I think almost all of us wish we had a larger garage! I wish I had room for a milling machine but there is no chance.

Seems I'm not the only one using the bikes as shelves! My build has been slacking at the moment due to (amongst other things) sorting out one of the bikes to sell. :) I'm not looking forward to getting it out past the GT40 though, this was when the garage was nice and empty and it would have been tricky to get it out then!
DSC07494.JPG

(that's the tail of it on the left btw).

Get the bike out now and ride it !
Thats going to be a tight fit.
Andrew

Back