Duncans GT-Forte Scratch Build

I’ve finally gotten round to starting a build thread! After over a year of research into GT40’s (and several years of looking into other projects before that…) I’ve finally started on the GT40 build. I’ve gone with the chassis tube kit from GT-Forte which I’ve had for a few weeks - though progress has been fairly slow due to work commitments

The current plan is to keep things fairly simple and follow the well trodden path where possible. I figure a GT40 build is tough enough without making things even harder for myself! To that end I’m going Ford small block and 01E. I’ll be dropping the floor pans and bolting the seat direct to the floor to gain some head height, other than that not much has been decided. I still can’t decide Mk1 or Mk2 - availability of the correct Corvair lamps for the MK2 is a concern with that one. The build isn’t going to be particularly quick, I’m probably looking at 5 years or so.

Couple of pictures attached of current progress – The main “core” of the chassis has been tacked together, though progress is slowing as I’m still waiting for a lot of parts from GT-Forte. The chassis kit does go together very well though, and with the laser cut parts it’s possible to work to a high level of precision. Would like to thank some of the other GT-Forte builders for their help so far, it's really appreciated - especially Nick, David, Andrew, Darrin, Jayson and Lee.

Attachments

• 00001.jpg
    00001.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 1,380
  • 00002.jpg
    00002.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 1,526
Nice start Duncan.

My own build is based around a tiresome and tedious work schedule also.
But agreed with the wife, that unless there is something special going on, I get one day at the weekend, (when I am home) to "play" in the garage regardless. That agreeement cost me a new kitchen, but was worth it !

Andrew

Slowgress on going... Chassis getting there. Holding off on roll bar until it's flipped over for the lowered floor to be fitted.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 1,411

NickD

Supporter
Deja Vu indeed. That brings back the memories of my scratch build progress about a year ago. The Roll hoop is a real handful single handed ;-)

...why do you think I've been putting it off....

Not much progress this week, but girlfriend at the craft show at the NEC this weekend so hope to make some sparks.

NickD

Supporter
...why do you think I've been putting it off....

Not much progress this week, but girlfriend at the craft show at the NEC this weekend so hope to make some sparks.

Just for some guidance, the roll hoop will likely be slightly larger in size where it meets the chassis. I Used a Rachet Clamp with strap on mine to compress that extra half a centimeter or so. Without that I'd never have got it right.

Nick.

So I managed to get the roll bar to the correct dimension after a couple of tries. Should be self explanatory, basically it was hooked under a pile of concrete blocks and stretched using a bottle jack. A brace was added across one corner to bias the load to the bend that was at the more acute angle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 1,034
Chassis build trolley completed using off cuts from the build table and the crate the chassis kit came in, suitably beefed up. High to avoid back ache, will need to think about how to lift it off however!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 831
Chassis back from powdercoat - now the fun begins! Black satin on top off shot blasting and primer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 1,306
Back