Yukos KCC

Good morning Guys (and Girls)

I'm located in South Africa, where many GT40s come from (Superformance, CAV, Baileys and KCC(defunct). Unfortunately with the terrible rand/dollar and rand/euro exchange rate it has become almost impossible for most people in my country(even the wealthy) to even consider owning a GT40. I WANT one!! So the only way for me to get one is to build one myself, lucky for me there are usually quite a few abandoned GT40 projects for sale. I hope to get a second hand GT40 fiber body and then build the chassis and use donor parts. It does not have to be a perfect replica but it should have the spirit of a GT40. I realize that this is a long term project, probably between 5 to 10 years. But if you never start, then you will never finish. I'm so glad for this GT40 community, I have spend many hours reading what you guys are up to and I can see that your help will come in handy and will be appreciated.

HondaS2000_Yuko3-1024x768.jpg

For the last two years I have been working on my Honda S2000. I did all the work myself with some help from my Dad. I'm almost done with everything I wanted to do, and then it is time for my next project. The Awesome GT40.

Re: Hello, Goeiedag, Sanbonani Guys

Look what is standing in my garage… a Ford GT40 (KCC)! It still needs a lot of work, but one day it will be a Ferrari-killer again. My wife says: "As if raising a baby isn't challenging enough, now you do this!"

GT40_Yuko1.jpg

Its official, I bought an abandoned GT40 KCC project. Now it's time for building and fixing. :thumbsup:

Here are some photos of the abandoned GT40 that I acquired. As you can see there are many “why did they do that” or “damn that is crap” things on the car. Like, why would you build a GT40 with a V6, or tilt the radiator in the wrong direction. I perceive a lot of work and stripping!!

GT40_Yuko2.jpg

GT40_Yuko3.jpg

GT40_Yuko4.jpg

GT40_Yuko5.jpg

GT40_Yuko6.jpg

GT40_Yuko7.jpg

All of these problems are minor considering I'm one step closer.

Welcome to a fellow South African and good luck on the long and exciting road ahead!

KCC as acquired:

as bought.jpg

Some years later after suspension upgrade:

Suspension rebuild.JPG

Thanx Ian. I have spoken to Simon, he is a nice guy and was willing to share his chassis designs with me which will be very useful. Wow, I can’t believe how many spiders are hiding in my GT40, its one big spider nest :stunned:. Rob your KCC is looking great, can’t wait to be at that point. Are you part of a GT40 club?

I'm not in a GT 40 club Yuko, although there is one based in Durban I think. If you need expertise on Gt 40s in general and KCCs in particular let me know as we have the right person in Johannesburg.

Awesome, thanx Rob that will be useful. Hey Marc, mine won’t stay a V6 for long, I’m going to rip it out and change it to a Lexus V8 1uz-fe VVTi. This will be my cheapest option in South Africa. Later on I want to add a low boost forced induction system such as an Eaton M90 / M112 supercharger or a small twin turbo setup. I will be happy if I can reach 400-450bhp, but there is still allot of work before I get to that point. I would have liked to be much further by now with my restoration but I was held up with some repairs around my house. It is strange how everything seems to break at the same time. I have mainly been stripping the GT40 and buying tools and equipment I think I will need. I got a nice MIG welder, Air Compressor with a Media blasting gun, Coil Spring Compressors and a workshop vacuum cleaner. I’m still saving up for an Engine crane, Engine stand and a Pipe bender.

GT40_Yuko10-1024x768.jpg

Look at all the spider eggs I found hiding next to the fuel tank:
GT40_Yuko9-1024x768.jpg

I also installed some aluminium square tubing with steel cables hanging from garage ceiling for extra storage:
GT40_Yuko8-1024x768.jpg

I almost forgot, look what I found under my GT40. I couldn't understand why the previous owner of this GT40 made it higher than 40 inches. Someone installed a steel bucket under the seats to accommodate larger passengers at the expense of ground clearance. I will have to remove that.

GT40_Yuko11-1024x768.jpg

Looks like a great project, really looking forward to seeing it develop. I'm guessing spiders eggs in SA are more of an issue than here in the UK?...:eek:

Hi Yuko, I have what I think is the only KCC GT40 in the U.S. Feel free to email me at: [email protected] if you have questions and I'll tell you what I've learned on my car. I have a build manual from KCC that I could send you.

Mark Clapp

Adrian Starling

Supporter
Hi Yuko, any update on your refurbed KCC?
I have just imported mine from SA and had it registered and MOT’d in the UK. I am South African living in the UK and am very interested to get as much information on any KCC upgrades/ modifications particularly on the chassis and suspension. If there are any KCC owners in the UK, I would really like to hear about your experiences with your vehicle. A few pictures of mine and the following are priorities on upgrading to my vehicle -
1. Front and rear clip lower hinge upgrade,
2. Correct door latch fitment,
3. Chassis upgrade - does anybody still run the Cortina MK3 front and Granada MK2 rear semi trailing arm suspension?
4. Brakes - Wilwood upgrade
I look forward to hearing from you KCC owners!
kind regards,
Adrian

Attachments

• IMG_1854.jpeg
    IMG_1854.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1921.jpeg
    IMG_1921.jpeg
    741.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1861.jpeg
    IMG_1861.jpeg
    719.4 KB · Views: 79