Widebody RCR40

I blame all of you for this! I sold some stuff and ordered a RCR40.

Every other option was weighed and many hairs turned gray but the conclusion was a P1084 build with an ITB injected 347 ish motor and a 930 gearbox. It will have the wide front and gulf rear fenders installed by RCR with some double adjustables and cage for the track. I want something that will see a few miles and provides a certain level of experience each time out. There was nothing "new" that tickled the dingle.

So in the next few months I'll plan out some of the details and preemtively order some parts but until then it's code red to finish up other projects and get ready for this thing.

I only have one question for the fine people of this forum. Who can build me a Dart based 347 with Borla injection for a "reasonable" price without drama... you know, the "after a year I got 289 in a box but paid for a forged injected 347" drama???? I've talked to a couple engine builders but have no reference point.

Adam,

My engine builder has built several Dart blocks. My engine is a 363 although we considered a 347. I have the Borla fuel injection system with a Performance Electronics ECU. The engine is already built but I haven't installed the EFI or started the engine yet.

Now, even though I haven't run my engine, we could share engine maps and experiences.

He lives in Arlington Texas. Let me know if you want to contact him.

-Bob Woods

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
Keith Craft
Keith Craft Performance Engines

we have several guys with his 408 and 482 motors. I have been to his shop several times. Watched a 361 dyno one day. I think it made 499.5 hp. I ask Lance if he was going to do one more pull to get it over the 500 mark and he said no. That was good enough.

Keith's street motor makes more torque than hp. He uses the best parts and his warranty is good. We've had issue with lifters on a couple of FE. He fixed them.

I'll second Keith Craft who was recommended to me by Fran at RCR. They built me an ali Dart blocked 347 with AFR 205 heads. I shipped Lance a Dailey Engineering dry sump and a Classic Injection system; they were not critical as to what you want bolted to their build. They used FAST electronics to make a fairly radical cam streetable. Lance apologized for only making a little over 500 hp., the limiting factor being the Classic induction system restricting ultimate flow. As my expectation was in the mid 400's, I assured Lance I would be happy with what he gave me for a 2,400 lb. car.

I'll second Keith Craft who was recommended to me by Fran at RCR. They built me an ali Dart blocked 347 with AFR 205 heads. I shipped Lance a Dailey Engineering dry sump and a Classic Injection system; they were not critical as to what you want bolted to their build. They used FAST electronics to make a fairly radical cam streetable. Lance apologized for only making a little over 500 hp., the limiting factor being the Classic induction system restricting ultimate flow. As my expectation was in the mid 400's, I assured Lance I would be happy with what he gave me for a 2,400 lb. car.

500 Hp is more than enough for me right now. I've heard good things about Keith Kraft but have also read that it can take quite some time to get a custom build done. They will be one of the first I contact when I get to that phase.

That may be a testament to their popularity as builders. It did take several months in queue but they were waiting as dimension were fired back and forth to build the dry sump to order so some of the delay was on my end. They weren't especially happy with the time spent removing a lot of metal from the intake ports to match the AFR heads. All in, they stuck to their cost estimate so I give them the recommend.

I wish I had some pictures to post. At only 1 month into the rcr order I can't imagine there is a lot to see. Maybe Fran can get me a pict of a hood or bag of hardware for inspiration.

Adam,

I have an all alum 6L engine built by Elan that I may be interested in selling. I can remove the intake so you can the add the Borla injection

It uses a custom carbon fiber cross ram intake and built for a Riley and Scott LMP1 prototype for LeMans endurance racing.

Fran will be familiar with this engine as it's also used on the Davidson Racing RCR racecar. This a new build with zero hours ... and it took a long time to get it done!

For much less $ I also have an engine that may be similar to what you're looking for listed here http://www.gt40s.com/forum/garage-sale/44991-341-ford-kinsler-ir-intake-efi-technology-ecu-new.html.

It uses a Kinsler IR intake. And I'd also be open to selling this one w/o the intake.

Dave

Adam,

I have an all alum 6L engine built by Elan that I may be interested in selling. I can remove the intake so you can the add the Borla injection

It uses a custom carbon fiber cross ram intake and built for a Riley and Scott LMP1 prototype for LeMans endurance racing.

Fran will be familiar with this engine as it's also used on the Davidson Racing RCR racecar. This a new build with zero hours ... and it took a long time to get it done!

For much less $ I also have an engine that may be similar to what you're looking for listed here http://www.gt40s.com/forum/garage-sale/44991-341-ford-kinsler-ir-intake-efi-technology-ecu-new.html.

It uses a Kinsler IR intake. And I'd also be open to selling this one w/o the intake.

Dave

I have read that add several times before. I read it a couple additional times hoping the listed compression dropped to a more streetable value. It never did. I have a feeling that is a little too much motor for me.

Sounds like we are on the same path, I have a +4 RCR on order also. I am hustling to finish my Coyote 69 Bronco to clear the garage for my Coyote RCR build!

I had great luck with Ford Strokers out of Chicago on my Dart 427/FAST EFI in my 68 GT-350. He is pretty popular on corral.net. You may want to get a quote from him for a comparison.

I think I am through several build threads for the 3rd or 4th time now in anticipation!
Dennis

I'll have to say, it took me some time to get over the replica car stigma. I loved the 50's and 60's race cars more than anything modern but had NO fighting chance of owning anything authentic. Even if I did I would be afraid to use it. A lot of the stuff I researched online made me cringe. Even the nicer tube frame stuff didn't get me going.

I was on the fence for about 2 years reading articles and foraging through this site hoping the answer would come. It wasn't until my brother in law set up a visit to RCR last summer when we were up in Michigan for the Dream Cruise. I left there with a decision made. I'm an engineer and work in a large industry so knowing when a supplier has their stuff together is my job. RCR has their stuff together! I can tell Fran is passionate about what his company is doing. He's happy to show someone around the shop and just talk like a fellow car guy.

I can't wait to get this thing in my garage and get started.

I starting the process of gathering some ancillary parts and stumbled on Cushman Competition which seems (online) to make some nice GT40 original style parts. I gave them a call...

I'm a little concerned about the probability of ever getting any parts from them. Does that seem like a valid concern? I've talked to someone a couple times but he seems somewhat disinterested in the proposition of selling things. Should I go elsewhere for some front brake ducts, radiator tank, and spoiler?

Adam,
If you haven't figured it out yet, there is a lot of fabrication that goes into a build. Sort of your stamp on things. Check out a build thread or two on some of the older cars and some in progress and you will see what I mean. crank up that welder and torch, get some fiberglass, and jump in. It is a lot of fum and if you don't have a lot of experience, you will by the time you finish. Good luck and have a lot of fun. Ask questions here and keep searching.

Bill

Adam,
If you haven't figured it out yet, there is a lot of fabrication that goes into a build. Sort of your stamp on things. Check out a build thread or two on some of the older cars and some in progress and you will see what I mean. crank up that welder and torch, get some fiberglass, and jump in. It is a lot of fum and if you don't have a lot of experience, you will by the time you finish. Good luck and have a lot of fun. Ask questions here and keep searching.

Bill

Oh yes, I know. I've read every build thread on this site and Tom's thread at least 15 times. I'm a design engineer at a major welding company and build other vehicles on the side. The construction of the car is not a problem. There are a few parts that are not worth me recreating so I'm looking for a place to buy them. We are having our 2nd child in the next month so time is going to be pinched.

My plan now is to build Tom's car, essentially. Many of his key points are what matter to me also.

I think there are plenty of "projects" to do on a kit. I, like Adam, was hoping on buying pre-made front scoops, side ducts, rear spoiler, door boxes etc. From what I have seen even if you get those parts pre-made, there is still a ton of work making them fit, bonding them and finishing them. There are other sources besides Cushman, but he makes a lot of cool pieces. To bad he was not more centrally located, he probably would have a lucrative cash and carry business.

Hi Adam,
I'd recommend contacting Brent Lykins from Lykins Motorsports, LLC

He has built magazine feature engines, but mor importantly he spends a lot of time talking his customers through the options available. In conversations on the Cobra forum, it's fascinating to learn from his knowledge and experience.

Where I've seen an international customer have issues with Keith Craft, I've heard nothing but positive comments about Brent bending over backwards to help his clients.

Craig

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Thanks Bill,
If i have the time, you know i like to help.
Happy with your car now ?
Btw Adam, that RCR won't disappoint you
& Fran is a great guy, worked with him helping
him when he was in the UK promoting RCR,
years ago.

I got lucky when (Ben) Smeding Performance moved operations from Sacramento CA, to San Antonio, TX. It's right down the street, the shop is immaculate, the price is fair and the motors rock! They are everything you are looking for (almost like you were reading my playbook!).

Back