Gulf GT Forte build

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Just a little update after a couple of weeks into my build. Alu panels coming along nicely, the floor was finished in a few days all rivited and sikaflexed. Now awaits delivery of chassi and the rest of small bits and pieces from Darren.

My 351W 1984 engine block has arrived from the US, and I will soon get started on that build as well soon.

Last edited:
Looking great, nice to see another local person too. I'm regularly in Basingstoke so come through Alton, old love to PPP in and say hello at some point, and likewise if you're ever in Chichester do pop in for a cuppa. Are you building the engine you're self?

Cheers

Paul

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Hi, and thanks for the cuppa invite Paul:)

Nick D: Yes I'm going LHD, mostly for driving in Europe and its my preferred driving position.
I will build the engine myself as a little "fall back" project with a 6 speed Audi gearbox. I already have the alu heads, but still missing many small pits and pieces and the roller cam.
I'm looking forward to get my chassi soon, as I'm working abroad, and need to plan ahead with parts and progress.

Cheers,
Morten

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Here is a quick update.

I got my body today, and already cut the spider, sanded the edges on the front clip, prepared rear clip for cutting to fit the Gulf flared arches, trial fitted the doors which will need some work to fit properly, but its only fibreglass and just like building and repairing my boats.

This weekend will be full on with finishing the alu panels, rivet them in situ, cut and epoxy/ fibreglass the rear arches in place. I only have 4 more days to play before I head back to the North Sea to work, so lets put some music on and bring it on!

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Thanks Nick,
I made good progress in the garage today. Started playing with my rear arches, and redid the top sill panels.

Last edited:

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
A couple of pics, cutting and installing the wide wheel arches. I hope to manage to drill and rivet the fron alu panels in tomorrow. I made the last two front panels in one go, I think it will work ok with a little "gentle persuation"and a heat torch to fit them without too many kinks.

Last edited:

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
A big thank you to Darren George at GT Forte for excellent customer service and great works done on my GT40 project. Looking forward to receive my next parts and get a rolling chassi soon.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
It's been a long evening finishing the rivets on the front panels with sikaflex bonding, and fibreglassing some more on the rear arches.
Her are a few pics, they are somewhat dark as I do not have any lights in the garage yet, but you get the idea.

Next will be to get the uprights on, rivet the top sill alu panels, figure out the cooling tube routing as I'm not too keen on having them in the cockpit. I think I will run them outside next to the fueltanks a'la RCR with an extra 45deg in the fueltanks and heat shield around the tube alongside the tanks.

Keep pushing forwards! Now 2 weeks offshore awaits.

Last edited:

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Well, my GT40 project is going forwards, atleast some of the days. The engine and gearbox is installed, now wheel offset remains to be measured, send the engine to machine shop for service and inside cleaning.

Work on fitting the fibreglass body will take some time as its lots of cutting and epoxying to do in order to get alignment how I want it....its not all that unfamiliar to boat repairs...

A big thank you to Mick at Southern GT for a great inspirational tour and invaluable info and parts - even if this build is not one of his.

Last edited:
Those last pics look fantastic and exactly the reason I'm going wide body too... Do you think you will have problems with IVA though? I'm not going to add my arches until it's passed as Mick has said getting the mirrors correct will be a real issue!

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Re: mirrors, well I have a few ideas. By reading, understanding, measure, trialfit mirrors with all the poles and cones inplace at correct distance according to the IVA regulations and IVA manual, I think this will be one of my least problematic hurdles to overcome on this project, not an easy one though.

For now all the cutting, fibreglassing/epoxy and getting correct gaps is a really big task, for me atleast. But having looked at the Southern GT bodyfit, and fibreglass work done I think you will be very happy.

Morten

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
I've had a good day fibreglassing the internal bracings to lock the width and shape in place.
Funny with the mirrors Paul. Now I'm looking at all passing cars for suitable mirrors. I think the best options will be either
Mazda RX7 new ones
Corvette C6
Honda S2000
When looking at Superformance GT40 orange mirrors one can clearly see a black adaptor piece between the door and the mirror to get it aligned level. It's also good raise the height some more to clear the rear Gulf arches.

Anyways, when I get my Image wheels on I will do some trials with IVA style cones according to the manual.
First need to figure out the wheel offset for the knock on Halibrands.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Hi all, due to some arsehole jumping and stomping on my Jaguar XKR bonnet and roof caving it all in, and on top of that pissing on my beloved Jag, possibly resulting in a writeoff, there will be no further photos, references or updates showing any parts of this build until its finished. Some people have no respect of others property.

Thank you for following the build.

Keith

Hi all, due to some arsehole jumping and stomping on my Jaguar XKR bonnet and roof caving it all in, and on top of that pissing on my beloved Jag, possibly resulting in a writeoff, there will be no further photos, references or updates showing any parts of this build until its finished. Some people have no respect of others property.

Thank you for following the build.

Whaaat? That's tragic mate. Are you saying that your build thread somehow compromised your security? :stunned:

Really ? Are you sure to link these acts of vandalism with the fact of showing your build here.

Well, anyway that's very sad (for you, your Jag and for all of us)...and I understand your anger.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
I hope my build location has not been compromized by being on here, but I'm not taking the risk. Sorry.

Back