P1076 1968 replica

At last, she's nearly ready. Some photos of the journey are below...

Firstly, I needed to correct the existing bodywork. Key issues were :

- poor shut lines
- misalignment of bodywork
- door tops sitting way too high

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 418
I cut a slot at the base of the door pillar, and a slot from the top. Glassing from each side, I ensured that the new glass formed a solid section for strength...

It looks messy, but worth doing...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 354
Then for the wide arches. I spent over a day working out exactly where to cut the bodywork and trim the arches.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 367
The new arches were butt-jointed and temporarily held in place with aluminium strips pop riveted into place. These will be ground out when the glass is built up and profiled.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 360
Next to the panel gaps. In each instance, I ground through the paint and gel coat to get to the glass. I built up 90% of the gap with glass and resin, and then used 3mm bendy foamex (as a guide) and carbon reinforced filler to create consistent panel gaps. This took weeks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 330
Now for something more radical...

I needed to make a single nostril, so I thought I'd make it as deep as possible.

I used the top of the original twin nostril, cutting away the rest. Using a cardboard template, I cnc'd some sides in mdf to which I attached some strengthening battens and skinned it with flexi ply. I filled, sanded and painted this, creating a perfect mould.

I clamped the mould and remaining nostril together and glassed over the mould, paying close attention to creatin strength at the joins.

The resulting nostril looks awesome!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 288
Stripes done!

I've opted to do the black edging stripe in a 3M black vinyl wrap material. Even the best cars show some signs of movement, which is usually most seen on the black stripes. This way, I can simply peel off and fix new if I get any settlement

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 345
And she's home!

Lots of jobs still to do, but getting there.

I must give Dick Townsend a massive thank you for his help throughout the build. I couldn't have done this without you, dad!!

Home at last!

Stickers and finishing touches are still required.

Note the reversing lights - they are the bolts that hold on the rear spoiler!

Attachments

• IMG_0258.JPG
    IMG_0258.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_0263.JPG
    IMG_0263.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_0260.JPG
    IMG_0260.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_0265.JPG
    IMG_0265.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 261

Keith

I must admit I do like the Gulf orange (Marigold?) stripes edged with a contrasting stripe. Another member here has just done one in a dark blue stripe which just sets off the orange a treat. Running the orange straight into the light blue, to be, looks a little unfinished if you get my meaning, but whatever, the paint job is very good... :)

This:

Thanks guys

Keith, per my earlier post, I'll put the black line on using vinyl wrap. If the car 'moves' in the future (as most seem to), I can peel off and put new ones on.

I'll post again next week when all is done

Keith

Hey yes Darren, that's what I thought you were referring to then I thought you meant just the sill stripes but yes, a vinyl strip makes sense...:thumbsup:

Back