Marko's GTD (I think) 40

Hello everyone. I'm Marko and I'm here to, quite unexpectedly, start my build log.

I like GT40s ever since I was a kid but I couldn't allow myself to even think about getting one. Then, 5 days ago while going through my daily classifieds routine, I find a GT40 replica for sale, just as I was about to buy a Carpi for a 302 Windsor I got some time ago. Chassis, fiberglass and a few odd pieces. Long story short, I got in my truck and picked it up.

The chassis seems like an older version, possibly a GTD. Bodywork is MkI. Got the headlights, brake lights, fuel caps, mirrors, some Granada suspension bits and 2 DVDs of material. Along with that material I also found GTD build plans.

I attached a few photos of D-day and D-day + 1. The car is currently stored at my best man's place some 200 miles away so I can't get to it. When I do I'll take some additional photos of the chassis itself and maybe someone can shed some light as to what I bought.

Anyways, I'm looking forward on talking to you guys. Been going through your forums a lot the last couple of days and it seems like a lovely place.

Cheers,
Marko

Attachments

• IMG_20150917_180216.jpg
    IMG_20150917_180216.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 728
  • IMG_20150917_180231.jpg
    IMG_20150917_180231.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 697
  • IMG_20150917_180240.jpg
    IMG_20150917_180240.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 589
  • IMG_20150918_071703.jpg
    IMG_20150918_071703.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 754
  • IMG_20150918_071736.jpg
    IMG_20150918_071736.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 792

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi Marko,
It does not look like a GTD from what I can see from your pics. It looks more like a KVA.If you can post some more pics showing the front and rear of the chassis it will be easier to identify and give you some information.
Cheers
Mike

I got my best man to take a few photos tomorrow so I'll post those here and hopefully find out what I got. For now though I'm quite happy knowing I have a GT40 hehe.

The chassis was bought a few years ago from a guy in Warsaw called Thom Michael. That guy has a brother in Hamburg, Germany who allegedly makes these kits. How true this information is I don't know. The person who sold me the car is a Czech guy living in Croatia who only has German nationality and I got this info from him. So it's all very confusing.

I did get some paperwork with the car from Greman "TUV SUD Automotive GmbH" apparently approving the bodywork. However, I don't have any paperwork for the chassis itself.

So I got a few photos. They're not the best but the panels are on the chassis so it's kinda hard to get a good angle. If this isn't enough for an identification I'll try to get a few more. The chassis seems to have one distinction over all the other ones I've seen pictures of, and that the double central support beam, the place where the handbrake and gearshift lever is located.

Every bit of information is helpful so knock yourselves out.

Thanks,
Marko

Attachments

• 20150920_142802.jpeg
    20150920_142802.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 586
  • 20150920_142819.jpeg
    20150920_142819.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 644
  • 20150920_142829.jpeg
    20150920_142829.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 589
Forgot to mention that the double beam I mentioned before is running through the whole length of the cabin. Probably can't see that from the photos.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Interesting find you have here Marko!
Noted that it looks like you have two spiders.. The spider being one of the most important parts of the body as everything lines up off of it. I found that if left unsupported in the middle, it will sag over time and you'll have a hard time fitting the windshield and doors properly.. Check my build log or website (link below) for more information..

The chassis does not appear to be bad from what I can tell. The double beam you mention appears to be forming the all familiar "Tunnel" in which your coolant lines will run from back to front. It does appear that the designer/builder had given some thought to the rigidity of the chassis by the triangulated bracing welded in.
While I can't help identify this chassis or design, you're probably in the only forum on the web with people that can..

Yup, it came with two spiders. One of em was mounted on the chassis but unfortunately it wasn't supported at all. When I tried to fit the other panels I noticed that that doors do not line up properly. However, the roof section of the doors is slightly bent towards the ground so that the spider's middle section is an inch or so above the ends of the doors that should line up with the spider. If I understood correctly this is the opposite of what happened to you.

Regarding the chassis I have a somewhat limited knowledge of structural integrity, but it did seem like everything is on its place. Welds also seem pretty decent and there's only some slight surface rust on the frame.

Apart from this forum I had a peek in few other places. None were as good as this one. Tons of information and people willing to help won me over. Hope you'll enjoy my company as much as I enjoy going through this forum.

Welcome to the forum Marko.

I did get some paperwork with the car from Greman "TUV SUD Automotive GmbH" apparently approving the bodywork. However, I don't have any paperwork for the chassis itself.

If you want I could take a look at this paperwork -- I'm very familiar with the German Law and regulations. I assume it is a "Gutachten" - so scan it in and sent it to me. I sent you a PM with my email address.

Good luck with your build!

Thanks Peter. I'll scan the paperwork tomorrow and send it your way. I'm a little freaked out as to what the Croatian authorities will have to say about my build. More so than from the build itself. Before doing anything I'll have to have a serious talk with someone in charge of the so called A-tests in Croatia.

Thanks for lending a hand mate.

Hi Marko

Welcome to the forum, beautiful country you live in, last year we went on holiday for the first time to Croatia, the Isle of St Nicholas Porec. We loved the country and people so much this year for our holiday we drove down to and then stayed at the Isle of St Nicholas Porec. We still loved it so much, next year we are plan to go on holiday to............you guessed it Dubrovnik :)

Good luck with the car.

Hi Nick, thanks. It is beautiful, I know. Most of the tourists end up in Dubrovnik sooner or later, and it's a great place to see, but the real jewels are the small island, not as popular with tourists. If you wanna see the Croatia at its best you should get a boat and sail around the coast for a week or two.

Keith

Hi Marko. I would think that at the very least for a GT40 you would want shocks with adjustable valving for bump and rebound. These appear to be very basic (and old). Not really worth the risk...

I quickly gave up on those. I'm looking over some Bilstein kits but they ain't cheap. Also on the lookout for a gearbox. I have some Audi box laying around somewhere. Gotta see what that is. Found an overhauled G50 for 3 grand though. Seems like a pretty good price.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi Marko,
I have looked through all my GT40 replica chassis files, even the Polish ones, but I can't find one like your chassis anywhere. It looks like you are going to have to build up from what you have. I would not buy any shock and springs until you have your suspension sorted out so you can then measure the open and closed lengths. If you are going to use the Granada Mk2 stuff then GTD parts might work for you. The GTD front wishbone pickup points were parallel to the chassis centreline but the KVA ones were angled in at the front like the original cars. If you can compare your front wishbone bracket locations to the GTD ones you can tell if GTD wishbones will work on your chassis. GTD wishbones should be relatively easy to find or you can make your own from scratch. The GTD type top and bottom pivots are available from the usual sources.
Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike,
So it seems like the frame is home built then. I must say I'm not happy about that, but on the other hand it does look like it's a job well done. Like you said, I'll have to work with what I got.

Thanks for the suspension tip. Advise like this is invaluable to me. I've never tackled a project of this magnitude before and first hand information like this will definitely save me a lot of headache. Along with the frame I got both wishbones and uprights. Also I got the steel round bars with threads on the inner side of both ends. I don't know the English word for those. I'll go take some photos of all the parts I got.

Also I made some progress on the gearbox. The guy I got the car from already had an Audi V8 4.2 and a 5 speed Audi gearbox, but it's a 01B I think. Came out of a '95 - '98 Audi I believe. He still owed some money to the guy so he never picked em up. Anyways, I got the guy on the phone today, he'll get me a 01E, buy the engine and 01B back from me, forget the debt and I'll still get some cash on top. Sweet deal. Judging by what I read so far, 01E along with a 302 Windsor I got should be a nice combo.

I'll go take those photos now.

Cheers,
Marko

Back