GT40s.com
MK-I  MK-II  MK-III  MK-IV  GULF  MIRAGE  J-CAR  LOLA
GT40s.com
Home Forum Gallery Support GT40s.com  
Register FAQ Advertisers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GT40s.com > >

Notices

GT40 Build Logs For build threads and build diaries only.

Old 9th November 2015, 03:03 PM   #1
Don Nye
Lifetime Premier Supporter
United States

GT40: RCR GT40 Mk IV
Part 2 of Don's Mk IV Build

With the blow up of my first thread "Don's Mk IV Build" well I can't seem to post anything additionally and it has a blank screen when I go to the last page.

Progress on the car continues with more body related issues. One is I finally got the door louvers installed which I don't think I shared. The size and number of louvers agree with the original HM car.

The car has AC and I took an idea from a Pantera that had the condenser mounted at the rear of the car. In my case it worked out and fit where the FIA trunk would have been. It's working well although the weather has now turned cooler.

The last week has found me playing with the rear clam shell to see if I can't get it to fit better. How the hours go by. I think it is close but I thought that about 20 hours ago. I think sometimes you just have to let the body shop take it and say it's as good as you can get it.

Seats, I have seen so many people on this forum try different seats not only for the GT40 and SLC's. The seats that came with my car are very nice and have the nickle rings but I was looking for a higher backed seat like the original. Bill Hough makes a fiberglass shell GT40 seat that fits very well. You basically have to seat on the floor so your head will fit without a bubble being added and of course laid back.

Til next time.
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Part 2 of Don's Mk IV Build-002-jpg   Part 2 of Don's Mk IV Build-003-jpg   Part 2 of Don's Mk IV Build-ac-condenser-mount1-jpg   Part 2 of Don's Mk IV Build-ac-condenser-mount2-jpg   Part 2 of Don's Mk IV Build-ac-condenser-mount3-jpg  

Part 2 of Don's Mk IV Build-old-seats-jpg   Part 2 of Don's Mk IV Build-new-seats-jpg  
Don Nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2015, 03:18 PM   #2
Don Nye
United States

Re: Part 2 of Don's Mk IV Build

I have mounted my mirrors and I have tried to follow the pictures of the HM car before the crash, the first picture. I can tell you that when setting in the car you can not see the right hand mirror unless you move your heat towards the steering wheel. So I may want to make the car look like the original I also want to be able to see the mirror so it is now mounted where many of the replicas have mounted it and where the mirror now lives on the car in Boulder CO.

Just the way it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Part 2 of Don's Mk IV Build-mirror-left-location-jpg   Part 2 of Don's Mk IV Build-004-jpg  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mirror Location.jpg (12.7 KB, 111 views)
Old 10th November 2015, 05:20 PM   #3
dallas_
Silver Supporter
United States

GT40: SL-C

Thanks for starting a new thread. I thought I was the only one who couldn't see the last page of your old one. Very strange.

I was in Houston yesterday and was wondering how it's coming. Looking good!
dallas_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 05:59 PM   #4
Don Nye
United States

I hate going backwards but that's what you must do sometimes unless I guess you built a car 100 times. Maybe I'll take a picture of my junk pile of all the parts I have made which just didn't cut it.

Case and point was the air box. I have always planned on installing a clear plexi air box over the carbs just as the HM cars had in 1967. After having the car in one piece and motor and rear clam shell installed I found the air box was about 1" to high to not touch the rear window. So the last month I have reworked some things to make it all fit. Remember space is a minimum on these cars so if you move something you will need to move something else that effects something else and so on. That's why it take so long.

After that was fixed my air ducting I made to the box was to low and must be remade which is my current project. While doing all this I decided to install the rear clam hood pins and that moved on to a small project of making the rear glass have a small arch as it should. I made a 1" angle with a curve, installed it on the underside of the lower rear glass and got my results I was looking for. The rear fiberglass body is so wide and flat in that area it wants to sage under the weight of the rear glass. That was my solution to the problem I'm sure there are other ways to do the same thing.

I know how everyone likes pictures so hear are a few of current work.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Part 2 of Don's Mk IV Build-004-jpg   Part 2 of Don's Mk IV Build-005-jpg   Part 2 of Don's Mk IV Build-008-jpg   Part 2 of Don's Mk IV Build-011-jpg   Part 2 of Don's Mk IV Build-012-jpg  

Part 2 of Don's Mk IV Build-017-jpg  
Old 7th January 2016, 10:39 AM   #5
Don Nye
United States

Just to let everyone know whatís going on.

The GT40 continues to be worked on but the holidays put a slow factor on work in the garage. My drive down to the inspection garage in December for the required paperwork for the state showed me that driving in traffic I canít see anything behind me so on the drive back I just drove faster than anyone else or at least tried, there must be a lot of people that canít see behind them or they want to race the little MK IV. Driving in slow traffic also showed me the car wants to run hot which Iím working on a solution.
I replaced the inside rear view mirror with one that has a front and rear view camera. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwIxbhPnLb4 Although I have not driven it in traffic what I can see in the garage it is a 1000% better. This thing also records so I should be able to share a little video of driving the car when itís back on the road.

I have tried a belt driven water pump but it just not doing the job at low RPMís so I have decided to try an electric pump rated for 55 GPM. Iíll let you know how it works out.

Registration and Tags; What a mess! My custom tags came in so I made a trip to the downtown Houston court house thinking they would have the most experience with titling a custom car, wrong. First trip they told me the Certificate of Origin was not filled out correctly (Fran you did it right they just donít know what they are doing). Seconded trip they told me I must have a certified weight from a certified scale. The C of O has the weight listed but that does not matter it seems. So Saturday Iíll load the car up and get it weighed. This maybe a good thing because Iím often asked what it weighs so we will have the certified correct number for everyone to know what a RCR GT40 Mk IV weight is with Ford FE fully loaded with fuel etc.

Wish me luck next week when I try once more to make this thing legal.

Don
Old 7th January 2016, 10:51 AM   #6
YerDugliness
United States

GT40: 1/24 scale MKII

Hoping for the best next week, Don. Keep us posted, please.

Thanks!

Cheers from Doug

Retired twice, now back at work, but still attempting to age disgracefully
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YerDugliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 11:50 AM   #7
Larry L.
United States

GT40: none. YET.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Nye View Post
...showed me that driving in traffic I canít see anything behind me...
You've undoubtedly already thought of this, but, in case you haven't:

To avoid the chance of colliding with/cutting off a car you may not be able to SEE when changing lanes, first hit the gas...ahummm..."a tad"...THEN signal for and make the lane change. That way, before he can react, you'll have put 'a length or two' between you and the driver that always seems to be sitting in the blind spot off your rear quarter 'gawking'. 'Might save a 'paint swap' one day...
Larry L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 04:24 PM   #8
blueovalz
Skinny Man
United States

GT40: An orange car

x2...this tactic saved me a couple of times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blueovalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 04:41 PM   #9
dallas_
Silver Supporter
United States

Don,
You're getting closer for sure.
Sorry the air box didn't work out. I really liked that and thought it was a nice touch.
Old 11th January 2016, 09:28 AM   #10
Don Nye
United States

It's official the car weight is certified at 2,440 lbs with half tank of gas and everything mounted.

This is going to be a fun car! A twitch of the gas pedal should give me a chance to change lanes.

John, the air box is going on the car, it's just taking a lot of work to make it happen but worth it.

I'll report later if the court house will make this thing legally street-able.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Part 2 of Don's Mk IV Build-010-jpg  
Old 11th January 2016, 11:20 AM   #11
Don Nye
United States

It is now legal to drive on the street! Texas window sticker is in hand and will be placed on the windshield tonight.

I'm ready to party!
Old 11th January 2016, 12:42 PM   #12
dallas_
Silver Supporter
United States

Fantastic Don. Congratulations.
Old 11th January 2016, 07:44 PM   #13
silverback
A Tenth
United States

GT40: mk-1, mk-2,mk-4

Way to go Don! cant wait to see It painted...............
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 09:04 AM   #14
Don Nye
United States

I can't wait to see it painted either.
Old 12th January 2016, 09:09 AM   #15
dallas_
Silver Supporter
United States

You bringing it to the TCC spring meet this year?
Old 12th January 2016, 04:36 PM   #16
Don Nye
United States

Wife wants to ride in the Cobra and my trailer can't carry two cars. Unless I get a 45' trailer in the next month I don't see the Mk IV in the TCC meet this year.
Old 13th January 2016, 04:01 PM   #17
silverback
A Tenth
United States

GT40: mk-1, mk-2,mk-4

I have talked to your wife Don, How about she drives the mk-4 and you drive the truck and trailer? I am not sure which would work better for you but please do let me know............................m
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2016, 02:30 PM   #18
Don Nye
United States

It's a slow day on the forum and I got the new water pump and belts mounted so I took a picture to share.

Just more HP for me to enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Part 2 of Don's Mk IV Build-002-jpg  
Old 19th April 2016, 11:24 AM   #19
Don Nye
United States

I know itís been a while. Sometimes you just have to put the tools down and walk away to solve problems. The last month I have gone to Sebring for the 12 hour race and I have got back to the Mk IV and been working on the rear air ducting. The air box intakes are re-glassed in along with the rear brake cooling ducts. Iíll wait to make the final connection to the air box once the car is back from paint. Just a few days left on the rear and I will be moving to the front and install the ductwork there.
I have found a good painter so hoping color will be soon. Let me define ďsoonĒ in car building language, ďhope to have it painted this yearĒ.
Attached Thumbnails
Part 2 of Don's Mk IV Build-036-jpg   Part 2 of Don's Mk IV Build-037-jpg   Part 2 of Don's Mk IV Build-038-jpg   Part 2 of Don's Mk IV Build-039-jpg   Part 2 of Don's Mk IV Build-019-jpg  

Old 19th April 2016, 03:23 PM   #20
kgschrader
They're all silver
United States

GT40: SPF MkII 2155

Don,

Any luck with the paint shop I recommended?

Regards,
Kirby
16 GT350
17 Raptor

kgschrader is offline   Reply With Quote