Ferrari Powered GT40

The Car Designed To Beat Itself!

Time to let the cat out of the bag. I have just ordered a new Absolute Pace GT40, and will be powering it with my 3.6ltr Ferrari V8. For those not familiar with the Pace GT40, it features an aluminium chassis and push-rod suspension.

The car will also get a 6 speed sequential transmission, 5.5" triple plate clutch and flywheel from a 458 GT3, and will (at this stage) be running 15" rims and the Gulf-width rear clip. Yes, it'll be red...

More details and specs to come. I've attached some pics to get things started.

Delivery of the roller is scheduled for August, with the final assembly and registration hopefully completed by the end of the year.

I'm sure this will build will upset a few folks, but not me!

Attachments

• 20160108_094447 (1024x576).jpg
    20160108_094447 (1024x576).jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 1,472
  • 20160108_094335 (1024x576).jpg
    20160108_094335 (1024x576).jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 1,254
  • 12043076_10207265115041156_2922954870321221605_n.jpg
    12043076_10207265115041156_2922954870321221605_n.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 1,480
  • 20160123_125701 (1024x576).jpg
    20160123_125701 (1024x576).jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 1,285
It'll be prepped as a very basic roller in Queensland, before I head up to collect it, and to be finished here in Melbourne.

The transmission is on order in the UK, and will be sent direct to the Pace factory. It'll have the drive train dummy fitted for the drive home.

Road Trip!

Inboard rocker suspension on another AP GT40 being prepared at the factory. The Gelcoat finish polishes up nicely, me thinks.

Attachments

• blue.jpg
    blue.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 1,735
Gotta be the best glass finish me thinks. Well done on the new project. Looking forward to watching this thread......

OP,
Looks like a 360 motor. What kind of intake are you going to use? (motor is really tall with the stock intake) Do you have any other pics of the bare chassis? (looked on the Pace website, didn't see any) Will be watching with interest, Scott

The motor is a great fit in the chassis - even with the stock intake, which I will use to get it registered. You're right, it's a 360 V8, and is virtually brand new with super-low miles on it.

I have two options once it's all bedded in - either 8 Stack Jenvey arrangement (the trumpets will be very low under the rear clip), or twin turbo. I think a good naturally aspirated, high compression build will give a better sound (no need for cross-over exhausts with a flat-plane crank), even though the TT set up would net another couple hundred HP!

I'll have some photos shortly, of my engine in another chassis under construction. I'll post as soon as I have them. Being an engine from a mid-engine car already, it packages up really well in the frame, and we can get it really low as the crank centreline is already low, thanks to the factory dry sump arrangement.

Dave, another shot of the Glossy Gel Coat for you...

Attachments

• A87TwbADWRvrkNVDWo-dvFNezFdcBv7EwKJ7c2Ye-hg.jpg
    A87TwbADWRvrkNVDWo-dvFNezFdcBv7EwKJ7c2Ye-hg.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,284
Troy,
If I remember correctly the stock 360 motor is around 400hp. (so I can understand why you would turbo it) It WILL sound sweet!! Looking forward to the chassis pics and seeing the car on track when you get it all together, S

Hi Troy,

Good luck with your build. I think your setup is very amusing to say the least. Im thinking of buying Ferrari brakes for my build, with their logo on the calipers of coarse, and making a sticker saying something like "Thats all that was left of the Ferrari after my Ford was done with it" :)

In any case, Im sure it will be hell of a car once its done.

Cheers,
Marko

Hi Troy,

Good luck with your build. I think your setup is very amusing to say the least. Im thinking of buying Ferrari brakes for my build, with their logo on the calipers of coarse, and making a sticker saying something like "Thats all that was left of the Ferrari after my Ford was done with it" :)

In any case, Im sure it will be hell of a car once its done.

Cheers,
Marko

A little update..

The body and chassis are almost done, and the body detailing has begun. The guys redesigned the engine bay specifically for my drive line. The two round mounts started out as solid billets, being turned down to suit the factory Ferrari engine mounts.

The Pace factory have been onto it, keeping me updated with pics of the progress. More to come soon...

I was going to set it up for both the sequential Elite box, as well as the standard Ferrari 6spd H-Pattern transaxle, but may just stick with the sequential box only. That said, I may have a 6spd H Pattern Ferrari transaxle for sale very soon. It even has the shiny gated shifter and cables!

Attachments

• PACE GT-F Chassis 1.jpg
    PACE GT-F Chassis 1.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 1,793
  • PACE GT-F Chassis 3.jpg
    PACE GT-F Chassis 3.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 1,513
This was the engine being test fitted in a chassis, prior to mine getting started on the jig.

The sequential transmission is now officially underway, and will be done in around 6 weeks. The chassis has been modified to suit the gearbox, and the output flange locations.

Attachments

• eng in chassis.jpg
    eng in chassis.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 1,745

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
The 'Ferrari-in-a-GT40' concept brought a smile to my face...it's kinda the ultimate auto blasphemy, if you will. (You do realize that, once word of this project 'gets out', you just might end up being the target of professional 'hit men' hired by purist members of both camps...right?!)

'Anxious to see the finished package! :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

You're not wrong Larry!

Rick, I'm using a brand new ECU from EMS, the EM180. It has 8 ignition outputs and 16 injector outputs, as well as all the fruit found on the top end Motecs, including all the data logging, launch control and flat-shift cuts.

Inboard rocker suspension on another AP GT40 being prepared at the factory. The Gelcoat finish polishes up nicely, me thinks.

That's my mate Richard in that pic, the one closest to the camera.
He's a great guy and has worked for (among others) Aston Martin Racing, DJR and me too.
He really knows his stuff.

Ron Poast

Supporter
Hi Guys
I have a few questions. I have a 914 and 012 transaxle for my project. Which one would be stronger and better. Who would make a adapter setup for the 012. I talked to a gentleman at Kennedy and he knew nothing about a 012. Would a 01e adapter work? The 012 looks from the outside to be quite sturdy. Any help would be appreciated. The flywheel for the 012 looks to be my biggest headache right now.

I'm not sure. Might be best to start a new thread in the transmission sub-forum. Probably won't capture your target audience here. Cheers

Back