Tony's GT40 Mk1 build

Hi all!

Just a short intro for now, will pad out the thread shortly.

I've nearly completed the basic welding on my GT Forte chassis kit:

I'll post some pics this evening.

It goes without saying that you guys are a great inspiration and help, thanks to you all!

Last edited:
Hi Tony!
Welcome to the select group of those of us who have but from plans/chassis kits. Looking forward to the pictures! Please shout if there's anything you need help with, I know from experience there's a few bits of information missing from the drawings so between us we can help I'm sure.
Duncan

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase!

Happy building!

Renato

Some pics of the start of my chassis build:

IMG_3746_zpsqc5ulw42.jpg

IMG_3759_zpsic939flb.jpg

IMG_3773_zpseaofccox.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3746.jpg
    IMG_3746.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_3759.jpg
    IMG_3759.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_3773.jpg
    IMG_3773.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 381
Quick update.

Have been cracking on with the ali panels since October last year. Quite enjoying the process, though who knows how long that will last.

Here's some pics........

Attachments

• Chassis OSF.jpg
    Chassis OSF.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 558
  • Chassis NSF.jpg
    Chassis NSF.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 401
  • Chassis Front Close.jpg
    Chassis Front Close.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 525
  • Chassis Front.jpg
    Chassis Front.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 472
  • Chassis OSF Close.jpg
    Chassis OSF Close.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 498
Hi all

Some pics of where I'm at with the chassis panelling.

Just the rear firewall/rollhoop area to do, and the front footwell area to panel out.

Attachments

• Chassis side 1.jpg
    Chassis side 1.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 467
  • Chassis rear 1.jpg
    Chassis rear 1.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 397
  • Rear hubs.JPG
    Rear hubs.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 503
  • Suspension mock up.JPG
    Suspension mock up.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 538

NickD

Supporter
That's looking great Tony. At the rate your going you'll soon be catching up with the rest of us.

Talk Soon.

Nick.

Thanks Nick!

Yep, I'll be putting the water tubes down the centre soon.

Out of interest, which od are you guys using, 38mm?

I'd heard that 35mm would be ok?

NickD

Supporter
Thanks Nick!

Yep, I'll be putting the water tubes down the centre soon.

Out of interest, which od are you guys using, 38mm?

I'd heard that 35mm would be ok?

Hi, I'm using 38mm OD pipes down the centre for the main radiator pipes. You are going to have to consider the additional services that you want to run down the centre with the Forte if you have the same fuel tank design I went for. Really compromised my options as the Sills area are completely filled with the tanks, no room for even an additional cigarette paper in there ;-(

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
put heat reflective foil on the inside of the panels around the tunnel too help keep the heat out the cockpit.

Ian

FWIW, I switched from aluminum pipe to the low thermal conductive stainless. It was about a 1lb per pipe weight penalty but well worth it! There is little to none heat passing through the aluminum center spine on my RCR.

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
FWIW, I switched from aluminum pipe to the non-conductive stainless. It was about a 1lb per pipe weight penalty but well worth it! There is little to none heat passing through the aluminum center spine on my RCR.

I've never heard of non-conductive stainless steel tubing - more info please!
--- or ---
Could you be talking about stainless steel braided hose?

I've never heard of non-conductive stainless steel tubing - more info please!
--- or ---
Could you be talking about stainless steel braided hose?
Sorry, meant to say the thermal conductivity compared to aluminum is low, it's still electrically conductive but that's not the issue here. :)

I used the 6ft thin-wall 304/304L Stainless Steel Pipe and rolled a bead on both ends...

Morning all

Not much to report. I'll be sorting out how to fit the ali hot water tubes today, along with making a start on the rear of the rear firewall area.

And couldn't resist purchasing an old Myford ML7 lathe for all those suspension spacers and anything else that's round that I need to make.

Pics also show a piece of the front footwell ali panelling, took a bit of thought, but have finished this area now. Also is a pic from a while back. Had to cut and file my own locating plates for the horseshoe area, as were missing from kit........

Oh, and a pic with the spyder placed on the chassis, very near to making brm brm noises whilst sat in the tub.....

Hope you all have a fruitful build weekend!

Regards

Tony

Attachments

• Myford ML7.JPG
    Myford ML7.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 409
  • Footwell.jpg
    Footwell.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 451
  • Rear brackets.jpg
    Rear brackets.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 455
  • Chassis with spyder.JPG
    Chassis with spyder.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 614
Last edited:
Hi all

Not too much of an update, just some pics of front suspension/rack/column mock ups.

Been using the Myford to knock up some bits and pieces for the rear suspension.

Attachments

• Front with suspension mock up.JPG
    Front with suspension mock up.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 420
  • Bracket.JPG
    Bracket.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 391
  • Bracket 1.JPG
    Bracket 1.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 333
  • Upper tie rod bolt 2.jpg
    Upper tie rod bolt 2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 409
  • Large washer.JPG
    Large washer.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 316
Tony,

I just joined your discussion group. One suggestion that I would like to make - put in a full roll cage - these cars are low and the added protection would help. You seem to have the rear portion of the cage but nothing in the front of the cabin!

John
:thumbsup:

Full roll cage is a contentious issue. Very easy to have "life changing" injury from even a small bump to the head and after consideration of just how close my head is to where the cage sits and how easy it would be to crack your head off it I decided I wouldn't want one without wearing a helmet *every* time. IMO that is OTT for the road and a totally unreasonable expectation for any passengers.

So I made mine that I could easily fit a cage with the spider in place but I'll not have one normally.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Quite true David... As we may have seen with the loss of at least one beloved member here on GT40s...

Back