Mike's GT-R build thread

Well,"Ole #9" is on the truck on it's way! I realized that I do not know what the custom is with respect to a gratuity for the driver. Help please, Thanks.

Congrats Mike on the GT-R! Looking forward to another build thread. I have a GT-R coming next week and will tip based on (1) deliver earlier than expected. (2) If they call within 24hrs of delivery and again a couple hrs out. (3) How much time & care they take while unloading (4) How close they can get the vehicle to my shop - hard to access private road. Based on that $50-100 seems reasonable. The drivers I've talked to say people may tip only half the time and not always expected.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Tipping SHOULD be voluntary!!!

The drivers I've talked to say people may tip only half the time and not always expected.

If the purchaser was charged for delivery and the delivery company was paid by the sender, I would not expect to tip.

If delivery was paid for by the purchaser (directly to the shipping company), it MIGHT be appropriate to tip, depending on those types of things mentioned by member "fromoss".

I've always viewed a tip as being for exceptional service (not just "adequate") regarding a product/service for which I paid...it seems to me, however, that in certain fields of employment it has become expected to tip regardless of the level of satisfaction enjoyed (or not) by the receiving party...this seems to be particularly endemic to the food industry (restaurants, not grocery stores) where a tip is not only expected, it is often "imposed" by supervisors for large parties without regard for the quality of service. IMHO that seems to negate the concept of tipping, as I understand it. Restaurants should NOT expect customers to pay an employee's wages...the restaurant should consider that part of the cost of preparing and serving a meal, for which adequate compensation should have been determined when price was set.

Tips should NEVER be "backed out" of an employee's hourly compensation.

I frequent a few establishments where tipping is discouraged...the signs say their prices are set high enough to pay good wages for service employees (waitresses, etc). I can accept that...can make the decision to patronize such establishments and pay the higher prices or not...and must admit I like the responsible attitude of the employers who establish a no-tipping policy, particularly considering the unpredictable "soft" nature of tip-generated income.

I must admit, though, that if during the delivery problems arise and the driver is capable of overcoming those problems on his own, a gratuity might be a very nice way of saying "Thank you for going the EXTRA mile in performing your duties!"...although, again, I think it should be transmitted to the shipping company with directions to be paid to the driver as a symbol of our gratitude for having done a great job...again, the "tip" should be more of a "bonus" for the driver if the customer calls and reports good things...much like the boss might withhold part of a unsatisfactory employees wages if the employee was not performing satisfactorily.

When I do tip (which really is much more regularly than might be indicated by the tone of this post), I ALWAYS tip in cash...in hopes that the waitress might just find a way to conceal the tip from her employers (who might seize and divert those tips to pay wages) and get to keep it ALL!!

Cheers!

Dugly :cool:

Mike, Doug,
Thanks for the info. It provided me with what I needed.
Now, I need to get this "picture posting thing" sorted out so that I can report the delivery. I have learned many things on this forum, among them, "Without pics, it did not happen".
Thanks again,
Mike

Ole #9 has arrived!!

Attachments

• DSC_0181.JPG
    DSC_0181.JPG
    314 KB · Views: 513

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I'm always surprised by how good the body looks...not only the fit and finish, but the gel-coat colors, too!

Great buy, Mike...I'm sure looking forward to another GT-R build thread. The idea that we could complete a fiberglass component car build without having to do mega-bodywork is intriguing to me.

Cheers!!

Doug

Congratulations Mike! I am just getting started on mine. I am sure you will go faster then I am. I really look forward to following your build.

Back