Francesco (fra75) gt40 project

Hello to everyone, excuse my english.
I write from the Italian, and following an incident that was not my fault, in which I destroyed the shelby gt 500 of 2011, I decided to give life to the engine building my dream .... the gt 40, this is my gt40 project.
I built the chassis to accommodate a 5.4 liters gt500 engine,the transmission will be a g97 / 31 aisin, taken by a porsche 997 carrera 4 of 2008.
I struggled to put the engine that is very large in the GT 40 chassis, and even more I'm struggling to make the transmission, because the big engine does not leave me much room for the g97.
I also have to fix the problem of rotation of the transmission (I think I will mount the gearbox upside down, for otherwise I will have 6 gears only in reverse)
About this issue, who of you mounted a porsche g50 or g60 or similar like fixing the problem?
Work is still long, thanks to your help I hope to learn a lot , in this beautiful forum

I'm not practical in the forum, but I try to put some photos.
The pieces I've built or bought for the project

the engine:ford SVT 5,4 L 32 -Valve 4V DOHC SUPERCHARGED

Last edited:

Mike Pass

Supporter
Check if the crown wheel can be flipped rather than inverting the box. I understand it can be done on 915 and G50 boxes.

Cheers
Mike

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Check if the crown wheel can be flipped rather than inverting the box. I understand it can be done on 915 and G50 boxes.

Cheers
Mike

I think that's the first I've read that a G50 crown wheel could be flipped.
Curious how that can be since it is bolted in and shimmed via side cover. Can the output shaft / pinion be installed after the crown wheel being installed?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
It cannot be flipped on a G50 ...only 930 and 915

The Aisan box shown also requires the starter motor to come in from the engine side much like the G96/01...this is more troublesome than the usual transaxle mounted G50 style package...

The Asian is also not as serviceable/upgradable as the earlier Porsche transaxles either...

In the beginning I had considered both Renault UN1 and Audi 01E but I had many doubts about the ability to withstand the torque and the horses of the engine and as far as the Audi which model had been shown (many changes have 01E but are different one from the 'other)
I later thought of the Cayman's transaxle but a mechanical porsche friend told me to be these delicate transmissions, while the transmission of the 997 told me to be very durable.
Certainly I have to solve some problems, such as the starter and the length that is at the limit (between the engine that is very large and the gear box that is long enough, the risk of going out a few inches)
For sure you can not turn the differential on this gearbox, to reverse the rotation I thought the only solution was to turn the entire box upside down, use the vent as a point to draw the oil and through a pump to carry it over and practice a Safety lubrication
But this is my idea, if anyone knows me better, I'm here to listen.
I would have a question, but who does the g50 that I can use, how is it? Turns it upside down or is there another solution?

Hello Fran Hall rcr, thanks for the clarifications, You can produce gorgeous parts and also a beautiful GT 40 kit, really compliments!
I also sent an email to your company to ask if you have in production a motor / transaxle coupling plate for my project, I hope you will be able to help me.
Ultimately, I can consider changing broadcasts if someone advises me, selling a 997 change is not a big problem.

Thank you

<FONT size=3><FONT face=Calibri>Not sure if I am able to help or not.<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
o:p><BR><A href=
http://www.bncproducts.com.au/transaxle_adaptor_kits.html<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
ask Chris, “Flat Chat” on here, he may be able to help. You will need to for Modular bell housing bolt pattern for the engine side of things.The gearbox side I think may be the same as the G86 which Flat Chat has listed as available for the LS1?<o:p></o:p>
As you have the Carrera 4 gear box you will need to remove the rear cover, remove the entre differential and then install a locking device that allows the output shaft of the gearbox to be locked to the pinion shaft that runs concentrically within the output shaft. I don’t know if anyone makes such a product for the G97.31?<o:p></o:p>
The are available for some of the other 4wd transaxles that Porsche make as well as the Subaru gear boxes. <o:p></o:p>
I believe that what Fran is saying about the G97 being not serviceable may well be the case at this point in time. However when the 996 generation was new it was exactly the same with the G96 not being serviceable.At this stage in the life cycle all the cars were still under warranty and failures/spare parts or service needs were not required.As the thousands of 996’s have got older parts and service components have been necessary and I believe that you can now get parts for these, or people are working out how to fix them.Things like the bearings being a non-serviceable item have been shown to leak the grease out of them and fail.This is different to the G50, as the bearings in the G50 are not sealed and use the gearbox oil for lubrication.The solution seems to be that the bearings in the G96 and presumably G97 need to get replaced at some stage with non-sealed items.<o:p></o:p>
If it was me I would invert the gear box, I would also open it up, and install a particle catching magnet at the new low point as this is otherwise held in what becomes the top of the box. This will catch the small metal particles and stop them circulating around the gearbox.You are going to have to get in there anyway to lock the shafts.May as well open it up and remove the side seals out of the bearings that are there to they stay lubricated.I posted some links previously to some you tube videos showing the boxes being disassembled and repaired. <o:p></o:p>
I’m confident that more spare parts, service tools, upgrade parts and gear sets will become available for these boxes in due course.<o:p></o:p>
I know Albins have done a different crown wheel and pinion for a G96 that went into an Ultima. This reduced the revs and increased the top speed capability of the car.This would also solve your problem of the 4wd to 2wd conversion.<o:p></o:p>
http://www.albinsgear.com.au/<o:p></o:p>
I will try and find the other thread where I posted the you tube video links.<o:p></o:p>
Regards Ryan<o:p></o:p>

thanks for the advices . For now I decided to continue on my way and use what I have at the workshop.
The g97 / 31 will not be the easiest choice but I think it's good rugged, at least so it looks like an optical gear test.
I'm designing the junction plate between the transmission and the engine.I'm not discouraged

thanks for the advices . For now I decided to continue on my way and use what I have at the workshop.
The g97 / 31 will not be the easiest choice but I think it's good rugged, at least so it looks like an optical gear test.
I'm designing the junction plate between the transmission and the engine.I'm not discouraged

It's always good to try other options and see what works and what doesn't.
Please keep posting your progress to add to the knowledge base for future builders.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
John's right...
I was told that a G50/03 was too long to fit within the bodywork of the GT40. After much research, we decided to shorten the nose-cone and shift rod to be the same length as the G50/01. It fits within the bodywork just fine.
Check out my website (below) and you'll see how I did it...

John's right...
I was told that a G50/03 was too long to fit within the bodywork of the GT40. After much research, we decided to shorten the nose-cone and shift rod to be the same length as the G50/01. It fits within the bodywork just fine.
Check out my website (below) and you'll see how I did it...

Beautifully your site! Compliments !! just got time to read and look at everything
thank you

Back