David's GT-Forte Build

Well I've gone and done it the order is in for the chassis pack from GT-Forte so now I've got to get everything ready for the build starting with my shed that is trashed at the moment and got motorbike parts all over the place.

This is my first ever car build but my son races mini bikes so pretty much used to most of the processes involved just got to transfer it all from two wheels to
Four.

Need to get my chassis build table sorted once my shed has the room to accept it and go through all the extra information I just got access to any thoughts on the ideal size for the table?

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Hi David,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the order!

There is plenty of us with same chassis so you should not have a problem finding information.
The ideal size of the table would be a welders table big enough to fit the chassis, but few of us have the luxury of that. Try to get a table with level surface, possibly non flammable :laugh:. The sturdier, the better. The bigger, the better.

Good luck with your build!

Renato

This wait is horrible just want to get started half the shed is done but my aircon unit has been moved into the house by the wife and I really don't fancy working in there without it at the moment it's pretty much a sauna. Going to be busy this weekend Atleast I'm off racing with my son.

NickD

Supporter
Welcome aboard.

FYI, There are a group of Forte builders in the UK who also have a user group. If your interested in joining, drop me a message or email.

Nick D.

Still waiting on my chassis the suspense is driving me crazy I have purchased a few bits I now have a nice original lump out of a running 66 mustang which was running before it was removed and a few body parts couldn't resist for the price (spider,dash and sills) but I want to get started :(

Welding the chassis together is the fun part,

wait till you start the panelling.........

I've got a ton of cardboard templates you can borrow......

NickD

Supporter
David,

Tony is right, you will get the chassis done in no time. You can treat it as the calm before the storm as the paneling can be a little "testing" at times. Whatever you do, don't try to do the pot riveting by hand. You will not regret getting some form of power tool for that. ;-)

I'm actually looking forward to the paneling but then I'm wierd like that and don't worry I was planning on using the compressor for riveting I know the pain all to well.

I've got my sons motorbike racing to distract me at the moment he's been selected as well as 89 other riders to test for a new championship Dorna (MotoGP) are running next year called the British Talent Cup its the two days before silverstone if he gets through he will be riding a Honda moto3 all next year and I will have more time in my hands because I don't have to fix it

NickD

Supporter
The only part of the GT Forte chassis build that will require extra pairs of hands will be the rear roll over bar. Its the heaviest part of the chassis components (as it should be) and is a bitch to position and get the angle right if your alone as I was. Once that's in place everything starts to look better and feel better ;-)

Note that the roll bar may be too narrow or too wide as Nick and I have found out. I widened mine with breeze blocks and a bottle jack (see my thread), and Nick used a strap to narrow his. I found a couple of straps to the ceiling invaluable to help position the roll bar prior to welding.

Well I've gone and done it the order is in for the chassis pack from GT-Forte so now I've got to get everything ready for the build starting with my shed that is trashed at the moment and got motorbike parts all over the place.

This is my first ever car build but my son races mini bikes so pretty much used to most of the processes involved just got to transfer it all from two wheels to
Four.

Need to get my chassis build table sorted once my shed has the room to accept it and go through all the extra information I just got access to any thoughts on the ideal size for the table?
Did you get the chassis pack from GT Forte. I want buy one

Back