GT40s.com
MK-I  MK-II  MK-III  MK-IV  GULF  MIRAGE  J-CAR  LOLA
GT40s.com
Home Forum Gallery Support GT40s.com  
Register FAQ Advertisers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GT40s.com > >

Notices

GT40 Build Logs For build threads and build diaries only.

Old 5th June 2018, 04:11 PM   #1
Louis
United States

GT40: RCR GT40
Louis' RCR MKII Build

The adventure has already begun but here are a few pictures of the start.

The "Forty", as it's known in the garage, is nesseled between a restored 1961 Renault Beach Car, my rebuilt 1983 Lotus Esprit and you can just see the nose of a Gen V Dodge Viper, affectionately known as the Torque Monster.

We quickly noticed the paint on the chassis did not stick. This RCR was to be a turn-key by the previous RCR client. So that meant a complete removal of the paint. I've been putting this off for a month and found other things to work on like the dash but I had to do it. It ended up not being a bad job. Aviation Paint Remover and a high pressure washer took care of it. Now I need to get the aluminum to a good consistent finish then parts will start going on!

I'll undercoat the car and also the wheel wells for protection and sound deadening.

I live in Starkville, MS about two hours from Birmingham, AL. Close enough for me to drive over once a month to the Barber Vintage Motorcycle Museum where I'm a volunteer docent. At the museum they have several RCR bodies. I'm standing next to a MKI.

The build is going to be a lot of fun. I've rebuilt a lot of cars but never built one so the MKII project will be a new challenge.

This group is amazing. I've read many of your build posts with tips and great advice. Expect many questions from me.

Hope I attached the pictures correctly??

All the best,
Louis
Attached Thumbnails
Louis' RCR MKII Build-gt40-shop-day-1-jpg   Louis' RCR MKII Build-poorpaintjob-jpg   Louis' RCR MKII Build-paintstripfront-jpg   Louis' RCR MKII Build-meatbarber-jpg  
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 08:59 AM   #2
Louis
United States

GT40: RCR GT40
Re: Louis' RCR MKII Build Chassis Primer?

Is a self-etching primer required when apply an undercoating like Line-X, Rhino Lining, etc. on the chassis? I want to coat the bottom and wheel wells with an undercoating for sound absorption and protection.

I assume that you would, but just checking. Tried calling and emailing Rhino Lining but never got a response.

Thank you!
Louis
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2018, 10:44 PM   #3
Cobra
Rookie
United States

GT40: RCR MK1
Re: Louis' RCR MKII Build

Hi Louis, looking forward to following your build. Nice group shot and nice shop...wish I had that much room...

Museum looks like something I need to visit at some point...

Tags
build, paint, pictures, rcr, rebuilt