Dan's GTD Getting some attention

Dan Kasten

Supporter
I have been working on a GTD that was passed down to me from my dad. The car sat in his garage for about 15 years. My dad having a collection of classic Fords let this one get left behind because of frustration of the car not going into reverse and some electrical issues. I took possession of the car in July of 2017 and was determined to get everything in order.
First problem - I knew nothing about the car at all except for the beautiful ford motor sitting in it. I decided to drain and flush all fluids get the plugs out and get some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders. After about a week of soaking the cylinders and turning the motor by hand it was time to put in some fresh fuel and fire it up, success!
Next- Shifter is real tight and will not go in reverse. I disconnected the cables and put the car in reverse by hand, went in easy but went to put the cables back on and guess what? cables are junk. I had some custom cables made and a couple of adjustments and I was good to go.
Electrical- My brother makes a living wiring boats. We had lights, signals after about a day of going through it. Winter set in time to wait for a break in the weather. My next post will be about where I am present and the great folks that have been helping me out and giving me great advise and knowledge.

Great to hear the project is coming together. No doubt your dad would be pleased to see the car getting the attention and improvements she deserves.

Post some pictures as you go - can be very helpful to members sharing some insights and advice.

Summer is on the way - hopefully you get some "seat time" with your GTD over the summer!

Dan Kasten

Supporter
Yes he is very pleased and it has brought us closer than ever.

I am going to work on some pictures, I have lots of them but I think they are in the wrong format.

I am close to getting seat time but am still working on replacing the tires first.I did take a very slow test drive around my block but the tires have flat spots from sitting and I don't want to take any chances.

Dan Kasten

Supporter
Before I make one more post I think it is important to thank a few guys who are members on this forum.

Fran from RCR who took time out of his day to help me out with sending me in the right direction to acquiring some parts I need to replace.

Mick Sollis from Southern GT who also took time out of his day to look at some photos of my car and confirm it was in fact a GTD and sent me a rundown on what components my car was equipped with when it was built. Because of him I now know what brakes are in the car and what and wear to get things such as brake pads

Mike Pass- Thank you for helping me out with the tires and I look forward to asking you for advise in the future.

Dan Kasten

Supporter
Here is a pic, Just a test

Attachments

• gt40 2.jpg
    gt40 2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 613

Howard Jones

Supporter
Take some pictures of you, your dad, and the car all together. Get the best one blown up to poster size and give it to your dad for his birthday.

Dan Kasten

Supporter
Ok so where I am at now is I replaced the throttle cable, seemed really stiff so I had a custom cable made. I have been going out in the shop every night for the last few weeks and working on the engine bay. My car seems to have been built with great detail but the sitting thing took away its luster. I have been lucky enough to have a lot of items that were chromed. All suspension arms are chrome except the uppers on the front. the exhaust is jet hot coated in silver. I have been hand polishing all the aluminum panels in the engine bay to a high shine, fortunately everything is coming back to life. I replaced the cap, rotor, wires, and updated the air filter assembly. Everything that comes off the car gets bagged and tagged.

Ok so where I am at now is I replaced the throttle cable, seemed really stiff so I had a custom cable made. I have been going out in the shop every night for the last few weeks and working on the engine bay. My car seems to have been built with great detail but the sitting thing took away its luster. I have been lucky enough to have a lot of items that were chromed. All suspension arms are chrome except the uppers on the front. the exhaust is jet hot coated in silver. I have been hand polishing all the aluminum panels in the engine bay to a high shine, fortunately everything is coming back to life. I replaced the cap, rotor, wires, and updated the air filter assembly. Everything that comes off the car gets bagged and tagged.

Hi Dan what polish did you use on the aluminium as that is a job I need to do to my panels under the front clip.

Dan Kasten

Supporter
Nick, I use a product called x-treem polish you can find it on ebay. The polish works the best I have ever seen. I use buffing pads on a drill to get oxidation off then it is all by hand. Rough surfaces I use a triple zero steel wool lightly and carefully to get where the aluminum can be polished. My advise would be obvious, do a test piece and get a feel for it first. I have also done a 1000 grit wet sand on the aluminum but never had to do it on the this car.

Attachments

• engine bay before.jpg
    engine bay before.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 672
  • engine bay2.jpg
    engine bay2.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 593

Dan Kasten

Supporter
Nick, I use a product called xtreem polish. You can find it on ebay. I use buffing pads/cones to clean it up then its all by hand after that. Areas in bad shape I use a triple zero steel wool very carefully it is even possible to do really bad areas with 1000 grit sandpaper. I suggest to try the steel wool or sandpaper on test panel first not the car until you get used to it.

Attachments

• engine bay before.jpg
    engine bay before.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 619
  • engine bay2.jpg
    engine bay2.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 478
Dan, the pictures show you have done a great job bringing things back to life. I am sure you will find a lot of pleasure behind the wheel. The mk l has such a beautiful shape I could look at it for hours. More pictures if you can.

Richard

Good job dan,

i can appreciate the amount of work that is required to bring that car back to life. It is a labor of love.. Hope you have it on the road soon.

Dan Kasten

Supporter
Richard- Walter,
Thank you for the kind comments.
I switched it up today, it was too nice out. I decided to do a wash and wax on the car. I am in a little trouble. I needed 9 towels to plug up all the scoops, vents, and windows so no water would get in. My wife came home early and noticed I had used 4 of her "good towels" to wash the car, not going to be a good day for me. Here is another pic.

Attachments

• gt40 spring 2018.jpg
    gt40 spring 2018.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 529

Mike Pass

Supporter
Looking good Dan. Hopefully you can get to drive it soon. Don't worry about a bit of water - sooner or later it will be out in the rain. My GTD has been washed and hosed down dozens of times and been in many a downpour with no ill effects and is still going strong after 20 years.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers
Mike

Dan Kasten

Supporter
Looking good Dan. Hopefully you can get to drive it soon. Don't worry about a bit of water - sooner or later it will be out in the rain. My GTD has been washed and hosed down dozens of times and been in many a downpour with no ill effects and is still going strong after 20 years.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers
Mike

I hope to never have it out in the rain, I treat it like it's a motorcycle. I feel like having this car is the best day of my life, I always loved the GT40. I still have the aurora slot car I got as a kid, I still have the model kit me and my dad would work on on Friday nights, literature, magazines, newspaper clipings it goes on and on.

Dan Kasten

Supporter
Well I think it's time to call it a day. I finished the engine bay for now and tomorrow morning I am going to start polishing the front bay, I figure the front should take a few days to complete.

Attachments

• engine pic.jpg
    engine pic.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 644
  • polished left.jpg
    polished left.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 578

Dan Kasten

Supporter
Update
Did not start on the aluminum panels in the front. I put on the what I am guessing is the Granada seatbelt and the receptacle would not release the belt and I ended up destroying it. My dad had given me a Willans 3 point seatbelt harness that he had in his shop (1) and I am now on a new mission. My Uncle is a metal fabricator, he came over and he is making a custom harness bar to mount to the existing upper seatbelt mounts. I reached out to Willans and once the bar is mounted they are going to make me some custom belts to go with it. I will send some pics when the bar is installed.

Dan Kasten

Supporter
Dan,
Great looking car! Do you happen to know the paint color ??

Thanks,
Ron

Not yet, however I have a couple of small chips in the paint. My dad gave me another hood that has the open front scoop instead of the nostrils painted the same time as the car so I am bringing it to the paint supply place to have it analyzed for paint code. I will be happy to share the results with you.

From your screen name do you own a Pantera also? My dad handed down a 1974 Pantera to my brother who is bringing that one up to par.

Back