Just did it - awesome

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Arrived home last night with a Dax40 after 465 miles of driving heaven. Awesome! and I fit perfectly. I'll post the story and pictures soon.
Thanks to all who responded and best of luck to sell your cars.
Dave

Excellent news Dave! Look forward to the pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rob
PS I was told that DAX GT40s were slightly taller than the original. That might be why you fit so well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.
PPS Does anyone know how many DAX GT40s were built? And why they stopped building them?

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
I was told that 10 were sold, but only 5 recorded as being completed, so maybe there are 5 languishing somewhere. Mine is chassis number 5.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Rob, I read a thread by Chris Melia which said the dax was 1.5" taller. It's in the bottom part of the door which you can see if you compare photographs. Which reminds me I'm going to measure mine to compare. I was at Stephen Barker's, and we measured his KVA - sure enough 40 inches.
I think it also means the steering wheel is 1.5" further up, because there was less room for me in Stephens which has a smaller steering wheel than mine.
Dave

Your really changed my reco 'just do it' into 'just did it'
I am sure you really will enjoy this and tell your wife myne accepted this road too!
Good luck and hope to see you at the August GT40 reunion at Goodwood.
Fred /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Fred, thanks for your encouragement, the August GT40 reunion seems a good idea. Are you coming over from Belgium?

Hi again Dave

It was Chris who mentioned the height to me. The chassis of my car (which was Chris's car) was I believe designed/built by John Tojeiro as a prototype for the DAX GT40, although this prototype chassis produced a 40" high car, unlike the production car. Sounds like DAX was keen to cater for the taller driver. Shame they only built a few (but at least your car has found a good home /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

Cheers!

Rob

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Rob, I'm bowled over by the whole experience, not to mention being a passenger in Stephen Barkers car. It made the whole weekend just magic.
Dave

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Hi Roy, yes it was Richards car, and I took a photo for the album with Richard just before I left. I am so pleased with it, it has been well looked after and drove so well all 465miles home, a joy.
Dave

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Here is the pic with Richard just before I left.

Attachments

• 30954-richard.jpg
    30954-richard.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 287
Wasn't the story behind Dax, that they sent a load to the US, which got put through testing and failed, they binned the project after that.

I beleive also that Dave Guest of Thunderbird used to have one of the DAX's, but I think he is in the US now.

Brett

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
No idea about that one Brett. Maybe someone else can shed light on the Dax story. It gets my rubber stamp anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 30985-megt40.JPG
    30985-megt40.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 320
Dave,

Congratulations on the purchase, looks great! I think I still have a kit car magazine review on the Dax 40 when it was first released, I'll have a dig around & see if I can find it....

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Thanks Chuck, Julian. I'm really impressed with the car so far, getting an immobiliser fitted tuesday to comply with insurance requirements. Would be interested in seeing the Dax article Julian. Be grateful if you could scan it for me if you can find it?

Dave

Attachments

• 31088-interior.jpg
    31088-interior.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 313
Hi Dave,

great car - congrats! I have also some information about the DJ Sportscars DAX GT40 in 3 old replica magazines, will try to scan them during the next week.

Regards,
Volker

Dave After your epic trip home, I hope you cleaned / steamed the underneath of your car, 450 miles of salt encrusted roads will eat your car alive, remember as Neil Young sang "Live Rust Never Sleeps".
Anyway congratulations on your purchase, a man out of my own heart, You Came you saw You drove home ! Magic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Regards
Ian

Back