FOR SALE - DRB SABRE MKII (GT40)

DRB SABRE MKII (GT40)Fitted to a Volkswagen Type 3 chassis - Subaru 1800 EA81 Engine.
This car was completed in 1993 and I purchased it in March 1997 from the Original Builder.
The Sabre has done 36,400 klm, is currently registered in Queensland and is based on the Gold Coast. It has a current Road Worthy Certificate and is ready for immediate sale and driveaway.
I am selling the car because my wife finds it too difficult to drive a manual with her hip problems and we need a second car that we both can drive.
All reasonable offers will be considered.

Please note: My mechanical knowledge of the vehicle is restricted to the information provided.

Photo supplied.

You can contact me at: [email protected]

Regards
Greg Page

Attachments

• 56739-caradd.jpg
    56739-caradd.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 2,648
That may be the next step in the process. As far as I know not many of this models were made.

Greg

Ron Earp

Admin
Is it really a DRB made car? Or Sabre? I assume you know, but DRB is a GT40 manufactuer and so was Sabre (for a short time in the US).

What do you mean is it really a DRB made Car? or Sabre?

The information given was taken from the original builders papers approved and stamped by the Motor Transport Department here in Queensland Australia.

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, DRB used to be a manufactuer of GT40s but I did not know that they produced anything else. And Sabre was one in the US but did not make anything but GT40s. Both Sabre and DRB GT40s were true replicas in the sense that he body was correct. Therefore, it just seemed odd that this car carries the names of two manufactuers that never made anything that looked like the car you have for sale.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I believe that this car was John Donnelley's first kit product (or one of the earlier ones anyway.) To my knowledge it was originally designed and built in South Africa. John, who also built Cobras for a while, then bought tooling and other equipment at a tax sale of the former Integrity Motor Works, who had purchased much of the equipment from KVA (Ken Atwell.) After quite some time of reworking/replacing much of that tooling John started producing the Sabre GT. Coincidentally, he also produce the American GT351, for a marketing company. The principal in that company has posted on this forum in the past.

John had an example of this Sabre at his shop in Jensen Beach. I may be wrong in this, but my shaky memory says that it was built upon Nissan fwd running gear in a mid-engine position. I suppose this car along with John's remaining tooling (having sold molds to John Hester and Dan White) disappeared with him a couple of years ago. John reportedly went back to England (he had been having immigration issues the last I heard) to be involved with an automotive venture that I never did get any details on.

Regards,
Lynn

Just received the following message from Peter Ransom at GT40 Australia in response to a question to him about it.

"Denis (Bedford) manufactured over 100 Sabres (could be 200) during the 1990's, both Coupe and Roadster versions and these were very popular cars and there a number you see regularly on the roads. These were well appointed cars with wind-up-windows etc."

So it would appear to be another of the many cars from the DRB stable in addition to the GT40, the DRB Cobra, the XJ13 replica etc. As flatchat said, have a look at the copycatcars website.

This Car was built by a friend here on the Gold Coast and it was the second one he built. His first one was built for his daughter. He built the second one for himself then he had some health issues. I liked the car when I saw it and not being mechanically minded myself I knew the car was well made and would need little maintenance. That has proved correct in the time I have owned it. I am sure the next owner will have as much fun driving it as I have.
Regards
Greg

Saw the mention of wind up windows and thought I'd mention that my car has electric windows. It also has a disarming system to prevent the car being stolen.

Regards
Greg

The Car is now For Sale in the Trading Post (Brisbane) (19/1/06) and the price is $9,500 AUS.

You can email [email protected] for more details or read earlier post.

Purchased another car and this needs to be sold.

To ME!!! Just discovered this forum, thought you might like a little more info on this car.

Denis tells me that the rear third of the car is 'loosely' based on the GT40, the front two thirds on the mid 60's Ferrari 250 LM. This is an incredibly well constructed body kit, much better than any other kit car of the time.

And Greg is right, MUCH FUN to drive!!

Back