Not GT40 - Porsche 550 - 220 hp Turbo Subaru

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a chance to build a one-off 904 with racecarreplicas. I bought this car instead of building one knowing that Fran Hall would eventually build a 904. Fran is ready to go (about a year before I expected). While I am not quite done enjoying this car, my wife won't let me have 4 toys. This is a hell of a lot of car for the money. I don't expect to sell before spring - I thought that I would post just in case someone is anxious to get a car.

So with regret, I am putting the 550 up for sale. I bought this one in March of last year. I made the following changes:

removed the gumball numbers;
added a removable roll bar (Fran at RCR);
Had the car tuned to improve cold start (Fran at RCR);
added some frame stiffening in the engine compartment (Fran at RCR);
added a muffler (Fran at RCR);

It is a 2004 Vintage Spyder.

Here are the specs.
2.0 4 cylinder subaru turbo 220hp
All chrome wheels
4 wheel disc brakes

Silver with Black darts
black seats with red belts
All aluminum custom 15 inch rims
50 anniversary nardi wheel
VDO 550 TAC and speedo 8000rpm and 200 mph
VDO clock
jacking points
plexi windscreen
Aluminum rear view mirror
Aluminum pedals
Aluminum shift nob
push button start
coco mats (black)
battery cut off switch
0-60 under 5 seconds according to original owner - never tested by me - it feels that fast
All correct lights front and back
All correct porsche emblems
original replica key leather ring
Titled as a 1955 porsche
Girots cover

PRICE: $36,500 or best offer

Pictures before mods
http://www.spyderclub.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=9349

Pictures after mods

www.spyderclub.com :: View topic - Vintage Subaru For Sale

Fran Hall is familiar with the car - call him for an unbiased view.

Also search on username "Frankbank" - he was the original owner.

E-mail me with questions. Thanks.

Mike

The Subaru motor is a flat 4. Apparently Porsche was involved in the development of the engine.

Vintage Spyders has built many of them both turbo and NA. There are a few other companies using them in Speedsters in both mid (SAS) and rear layouts (Boulder Speedster).

Intermeccanica and Beck Speedsters are using an Audi 1.8T.

Seems to be a trend towards lower maintenance engines.

Some like them and some don't.

Mike

I have had my Beck for almost 20 years with the original 2165cc Type 1. I hear people saying that they want "lower maintenance engines", but I don't get it. What could be lower cost to maintain than one of the Type 1s? I have had to do nothing to this engine except tune it up a couple of times.

Mike Dozier, I think Porsche purists, like any mark purists, range in spectrum of response - from disdain to appreciation with most being in the middle somewhere. I suspect, due to the fact that most Spyder owners tend to the $25k budget with type 1s or type 4s, and few of them have turbo subies, that the other Mike is targeting a fairly small potential market. He will find someone that appreciates the effort put into his particular car.

Mike, Have you driven a 904 yet? You might want to do that before sending the 550 off...If you did drive one, how would you describe the experience?

Regards,
Another Mike

Your experience with the T1 may not be shared by all.

I previously owned an Intermeccanica Speedster with a 2.7 RS engine (featured in Excellence in 2002 or so). The engine was purchased from Dave Avery - one of the founders of spyderclub. I had a hell of a time getting those Webers right. It was very frustrating. Finally sold it for a profit. I understand that these cars cost over $100k due to the currency changes. (I know - the T1 setup is less difficult).

You are right, this car is for a very specific audience.

This 904 will be a lot different than the originals. Fran has some tricks up his sleeve. The mechanicals will be different as well. Modern front and rear geometry. The chassis, brakes and suspension will be similar to the SL-C with some differences.

The engine is a Cayman 3.4 with a Boxster trans.

Should be interesting. I'll let you know when it's done. I have a lot of faith in Fran.

Mike

I actually have a few more Type 1s (currently 2 more - 1966 Beetle and 1970 Bus) and experience with quite a few of them over some 30 years and have never had a problem - one of the easiest and most inexpensive engines to maintain. I never understood the reason to spend more on a engine in a perceived notion that it will be cheaper (given how little these cars are driven). Oh well, it remains an enigma (to me at least).

I have a 911 with the FI 3.2 that I have had for as long as the spyder (it now has 242,000 miles on it)...no comparison in the cost of upkeep...there is a link in the design DNA between the two, but the cost of the realative equivalent parts is quantum leaps higher with the real P-car. That car has been rock solid as well. I have only done one valve job (at 200,000 miles) and had two alternators (one thanks to a cheap quality rebuild).

I agree that Webers can be a beyach; I have had a couple of sets and one was particularly difficult. The current setup on my spyder is rock solid though after a few year without me messing with it (that might be the clue).

I am familiar with your car - having seen it at a Vintage spot at Knotts right after completion (Frank's then). It looked the business.

Maybe you will find an overseas customer, like Simonster did, who will find it a relative bargain?!

Regards,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back