SPF GT40 MK1 for sale *SOLD*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you already know that I traded my RCR for this SPF GT40. The owner of this car bought the car at the Russo and Steele auction last fall. I decided to sell mine after he purchased this car. He wanted a track car and we worked out a trade. So, here I am with an SPF that I am going to sell. I will tell you that I really like the car and I have driven it to work on many occasions just because it is fun to drive and I can drive it in a suit and tie and feel comfortable. I am going to advertise it here first so if anyone is looking for a car, here it is. It is already SB100 compliant in California. Here are some of the details. There has been a lot of sorting out on the car and it is ready to go. It has about 800 miles on it right now. I am going to ask $78,500. I am not going to negotiate, thats the price. It is a great deal for a running, driving SPF. Here is what I know about the car.

The engine

Performance Engineering's 1969 Casting Ford 351 stroked 4.100 to 418, thermal cleaned magnafluxed, forged crank, aluminum heads and flywheel, JE pistons, ARP studs, Edlebrock manifold, aluminum roller rockers, Mighty Demon 650 Carb, MSD Distributor, Melling oil pump, polished valve covers. Dyno sheets: 496HP at 5600 RPM, 525 TQ at 3800. Ceramic coated "bundle of snakes" headers, five speed ZF transaxle and McCleod clutch.

Updates and sorting:
* Halon Fire suppression system installed
* Air conditioning: fully sorted including electrical re-wired and all 0-rings replaced to correct leakage
* Fuel pump rewired to separate circuit
* Tow Hooks installed
* Rear Sway bars and exhaust headers modified to fit chassis, rear suspension travel and bodywork
* Shift linkage completely reworked
* Hydraulic throttle linkage installed
* Pedal Assembly repaired and re-constructed
* Front Sway bar and A-arms re-positioned for proper clearance and alignment and minimize bump steer
* Steering re-timed and all Heim Joints re-set correctly
* All under-amperage fuses, relays for AC and engine fans re-wired and/or upgraded
* And much more!

Here are a few pictures.

3t.jpg

4t.jpg

1t.jpg

2t.jpg

Re: SPF GT40 MK1 for sale

I'm sorry Steve, they were there when I recieved the car. Don't know where they came from. I assumed they were SPF.

Hi Dean,

Is your Mk I still available? If so I would like to get in contact and discuss a possible deal (export to Denmark)

Regards

Ib

I'm just bumping this back to the top. Give me a call if you know anyone that might be looking. This is a real nice car. I had it out Saturday for a little spin.

dear Dean
your car looks superb, but interesting you are reselling it.
it has been advertised during at least a year on ebay, never reaching its reserve price
I was in nego to buy it from its prev Redwood calif owner, unfortunately he was firm above 80K$. Finally it went off the block at russo and steele auction.
could you give me a mobile phone where to reach you.
best regds
Lionel

I can be reached at 618 322 6046. I know the guy that bought the car at Russo and Steele. He wanted a race the car and it wasn't as "racey" as he wanted so we worked out a trade for my RCR which was a very fast car set up for the track. I never intended to keep this car. Give me a call, I'll make you a deal.

I don't get it. If SPFs are truly clones of the original, why would the front and rear sway bars, A-arms, and pedal box need any type of reworking? Are they clones of the '64 prototype that had no development?

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter

John, SPF is as close to and original as you can get being a production type car but it has some flaws, many are easy little fixes but still they need to be sorted out to be a reliable car. Nothing major but it is time consuming.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter

I don't get it. If SPFs are truly clones of the original, why would the front and rear sway bars, A-arms, and pedal box need any type of reworking? Are they clones of the '64 prototype that had no development?

This discussion really belongs in the SPF section, but....

I don't know specifically what Dean was referring to, and that's not quite what he said, but I know my own version of these, if any:

1. Front anti-roll bar: arm splines can strip. Assemble them more carefully, or just weld them.
  2. Rear anti-roll bar: With all the different engine possibilties there's no right way to route the bar through or around the bundle of snakes. Look at the originals: they're all different.
  3. A-arms "repositioned"? Never heard that one before, and I don't particularly believe it.
  4. Pedal cluster: No problems with mine; there was an easy to fix interference issue at the bottom of the brake pedal of some early ones, but other than that I've heard of no problems. Anyone?
As stated earlier, there is a lot of fiddly stuff to make them work perfectly (to paraphrase Rick Muck "they require some fettling"), but it's mostly mediocre-to-poor assembly practice, not design. IOW, the faithfulness to the original is there; the quality of assembly is not. They're called "turnkey minus" but I think of mine as a kit that was assembled by someone in a hurry who didn't care about the quality fo the result.

Nevada Classics

Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, my customer wants any color BUT Gulf livery . . . and it has to be an SPF MK I with a GT40P VIN. If you run across one, please let me know.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, my customer wants any color BUT Gulf livery . . . and it has to be an SPF MK I with a GT40P VIN. If you run across one, please let me know.

We can build to your order. Of course, it will be current specs and pricing, but you can choose color and equipment to taste.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

There is a difference between the pickup points for the A-arms on the original GT40 chassis and the ones that were built after Alan Mann worked out revisions for those points that improved anti-dive and anti-squat effects. As I understand it, those revisions were then incorporated into chassis built after that time, because they improved the handling of the cars and (my guess) led to better lap times. Those revisions were also built into the Safir Mark V chassis cars- that information had long since been added to the GT40 knowledge base, and when Len Bailey redesigned the chassis to build the Mark V cars, he built those changes into the plans.

Those changes are not part of the original GT40 plans from which David Brown built my chassis. As a result, the Mark V A-arms that were originally made for my car did not fit, and new ones (built on the original pattern) had to be made. I don't know what measurements SPF uses. You'd hope that they are the improved ones; there'd be hardly any point to copying a design that didn't work as well and had as its' only virtue that it was first- before someone improved it.

Come to think of it, Alan Mann owns one of the SPF cars. He'd be the one to ask, if anyone knew how to get in touch with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back