R5 Turbo 2 for sale

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I am selling my 1985 Renault R5 turbo 2, I have owned the car for years and its been one of my favorites. It has between 18-19,000 miles on the car and I have put most of them on it. I have driven from CA to AR and its back in CA now, its a very reliable car. I will be picking up the little rocket and bring it back to Arkansas at the end of this month so I will be able to post more pictures of it when I get to CA. The car is far from stock, and has many modifications which makes this car more reliable, powerful and safer. The original turbo system consisted of a throttle body on the intake side of the turbo which fed through a CIS injection system and through an air to air intercooler. My car has the throttle body on the output of the turbo (correct way) using a GMC Typhoon throttle body and water to air intercooler. The water to air intercooler is cooled by a small radiator and pump. The CIS has been replaced by Electromotive EFI (3 bar MAP sensor)and MSD DIS2 distribuless ignition with individual coils per cylinder, Electromotive program included with the car. The boost is controlled by a knob on the dash (14-26PSI) The water pump was removed and a remote mounted electric pump installed with a bypass thermostat for proper cooling of the engine. The air to oil cooler (fire hazard and destroyed my cars) was removed and replaced by a water to oil cooler. The old fuel system consisted of 3 pumps was replaced by one Bosch 044. The plastic fuel tank under the drivers side is removed but included with the car. The 55 amp Bosch Alternator has been replace with a 105 amp GM 1 wire to accommodate the electrical needs.

The car is black on black, the paint is a re-shoot and on a scale of 1-10 a 6.5, but if you ever seen the cars from new the bodies were not perfect. The interior is a 7 and is typical plastic R5 with Recaro seats. If you looking for Porsche turbo quality, you need to quit reading. These cars were made for racing and this one is fixed up as much as a race car can be. It has a radio, it works, you can hear it when the engine is off. No AC, never heard of one with it.
It has cross drilled rotors and the brakes are fine, it has new tires (less than 300 miles) and Gotti wheels. The transaxle is fine, no odd noises but has a slight leak on the right rear seal after changing to Mobil 1. The engine has not been apart as far as I know, it runs perfect. It was imported by Sun International. I believe that there were little over 200 cars made total I have been told. Many have burnt because of fuel and oil problems I have fixed. These cars have sold at auction for $43,000 for a stock car with 14000 miles on it.

I am selling my car for $29,000. You can not register this car in CA, this is why I got to buy it. Its now registered in Arkansas. The link below is the auction results, I have seen them on Ebay for the same amount.

Here are the only pictures I have of it here in AR. Please ask any questions. The picture of the engine is before the Typhoon throttle body and intercooler.

1986 Renault R5 Turbo 2 Images, Information and History. Bonhams & Butterfields Sale of Exceptional Motorcars and Automobilia | Conceptcarz.com

Attachments

• AUT_6935.JPG
    AUT_6935.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 2,193
  • IMG_7062.jpg
    IMG_7062.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 2,343
  • r5 002.jpg
    r5 002.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 2,646
  • r5 001.jpg
    r5 001.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 2,275
Last edited:
Jack,

I am new to this board and also an R5 Turbo II owner.
Can you send me a PM regarding a question I have regarding the R5.
Regards

AJ Costa

Wow, super cool car Jack. I remember seeing one in some James Bond movie - I believe it was racing around Monaco in the typical Bond chase scene - and thinking "man, I'd love to have one of those someday!"

Looks like you have the matching shagadellic groovy (sunken) pad to go with the time period. If those walls could talk......

Kidding you of course Jack!

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Ajco, Welcome to the forum. That being said my car is in Ukiah, CA. Just sent you a PM.

Cliff that is a theater that I display my cars on the outside area, the seating area is sunken but thats so the cars are at eye level. I built the house in 95 when I was single, I have urinals in my bathrooms. :) That is my only area I can do what I want the rest of the house is foo foo now. (Remarried)

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I have had it 20 years, its 1980 LP 400s low body. I took all the carbs off and Mike Trusty and I put EFI on 92, I have put over 18k miles on the car. Jean-Claude I do own one of the 3 twin turbo LP400s motors that Bob Wallace built, its for sale.

The only reason I am selling the R5 is due to a unexpected stay at the hospital for 6 days with my wife. As you know Insurance only pays so much, sometimes you must part with treasures.

Attachments

• gr40 and countach pic 111.jpg
    gr40 and countach pic 111.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 795
Very nice pic, but do you really think swapping the carbs for an EFI was the right decision?
I personally would never do this, the sound of opening throttles, up until full load, can in no way be compared to an EFI slurp.
And for the originality of the car, they are an absolut must.But thats just my plain personal thinking. Anyway, an awfully good looking car.(or cars..)
Mine is a 1984 5000S, wirh 64000 km on the odo, and the carbs are no hassle at all. Just calibrate them at the beginning of the season, and let the bull roar.
But sad to hear for the health issue of your spouse, hope she`s doing better.
Bad thing to trade in a car for health.....thats the bad side of the American way.
We over here are fully covered, no matter what happens, but gas is double the price as in the US, so we too, we have our negative area.:drunk:

The Turbo engine coud be of interest, what is it up for?
However i don`t think the Countach is for sale, isn`t it?:D

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Well, I must say a little in defence of Jack's injection system on the Countach. As he said we put the system on it in '92(actually I think it was '93 but who's counting) and he can correct me but it starts on the first crank and the injection has never been touched since we finished setting it up in whatever year it was. It has the same plugs in it as well because we also installed a distributorless ignition system. As for the sound it still has individual throttle bodies for each cylinder so it has the same sound as the carbs. And on top of that it is much more driver friendly and runs much stronger.

So, except for the originality side(which can be reduplicated), it is a much better car. At least in my opinion.

as said, this is only my opinion and Mike, yes i do partially agree with you concerning reliability, fuel economy ect., But i like to keep my baby as original as possible and that with no hassle at all upto date.
But the most important factor is, that we all love our cars, injected or carbed, sink alot of cash into them and sometimes get wet eyes or even wet pants or angry wifes, as the case may be.
mhhh, it runs much stronger on EFI.... would like to challange this one....:cool::cool2::chug:

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jean-Claude:

If the challenge is which one makes the most power, injection or carb. Well I'm not that stupid to fall into a discussion like that. The answer is "Neither". Each system properly set up will produce the engines maximum potential under a given combination. But, I can assure you that an injection system that produces the same "maximum" hp from an engine can be made much easier to drive than a carb setup of the same "maxium" potential. You can have your cake and eat it too with a proper injection system. But, in this case, comparied to the "stock" carbs and ignition it really is "stronger". Change the chokes on the Webers, mess with the jets and imulsion tubs and yes probably could make it as "strong" on the top end but again, I assure you that it would not be a very fun drive around town.

We need some input from the owner of this car that is more than aware of the before and after on this "particular" application which has "nothing" to do with the world class discussion on "carbs vs. injection". That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Is that a picture of your car in the above message? Would like to see more.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Jean-Claude, the beauty of the injections system is that it will unbolt and carbs and distributors can go back on. I do like the performance of EFI as it allows you to tune the engine on all load-rpm scale to max performance for a given air fuel ratio. As Mike said with Carbs you can not cover the entire load rpm scale efficiently. Yes the sound is somewhat different but not much. In the case of the Countach I am not afraid to jump in it and drive it 2 thousand miles with EFI distribuless ignition. With carbs and distributor I would have to take a tool box. :)

Domenico, VERY NICE R5!

ok ok Mike, i believe you.....of course, injection is better, otherwise it wouldn`t have been developed, but it falls under the same discussion as what is better, Vinyl discs or CD-Roms.....a purist will always say the good old black round is somewhat better.:D
btw my GT40 has a throttle injection too, but i`m thinking about replacing it with 45 Webers......and here we go again.......no, no...:lipsrsealed:
of course, i will be proud of inserting some more pics of my GT 40, but we have to wait until i will pik it up from its German storage. Think around end of March or beginning of April.
Bur i putted some more pics in the building threat "Dennis GT40 from NZ" which is the car i`m speaking of.

Domenico, i see you have a Hermes GT40:idea:, i too have one sitting in my garage, awaiting its completion.How about some thought exchanges on that one? Maybe in a new separate thread !
btw, Turbo 5`s are awesome stuff, either production model 1 or 2.
same league as the Alpine 110

Jack, i know you`re right, diesel or E-powered trains are ways more efficiant than coal powered, but..........:dead:
In the end, we love our cars, no matter the way they are fed with this expensive food.

:2thumbsup:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I know this is tread jump but it is my R5 for sale. :) Its not original for sure but better in my thoughts.

Here is picture of Countach engine with injection on it and one of the 3 together.

Jack

Attachments

• gt40 theater pics.jpg
    gt40 theater pics.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 811
  • AUT_6936.JPG
    AUT_6936.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 695
Jean Claude, what are doing with this sitting?
Better open a thread.
I do'nt like this sitting model, but they are new.

My 5 Maxiturbo is a 1 , very quick on short kart tracks.
(I own also the A110)

Back