Gt40R

Somelee

Lifetime Supporter
haven't decided 100% if I want to sell my GT40R so I'm here gauging interest.
I've only driven the car on the track 1 time and not in a race situation just a track day. It handles amazingly well. Still in immaculate condition.

True GT40R by Pathfinder Motorsports. Olthoff assembled.
right hand drive
Guardsman Blue with Black stripes
real Holman Moody built 302
brake ducting
sound deadening
upgraded oil cooler with under car ducting
Bilstein adjustable racing shocks
updated sway bars
dry sump oil system (custom built for the GT40 by Olthoff)
custom racing seat
6 point racing harness
full roll cage
FIA fuel cells
rear adjustable spoiler
front Canard wings

almost too much to list.

full race car (not street legal) eligible for vintage racing.
for the money its about as close as you can get to the real thing.

if you are in the market for one of these this is the one....and you won't have to wait a year to get it.

$125,000

email me if you have any questions
[email protected]

thanks
Lee

Attachments

• rightside.jpg
    rightside.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 2,482
  • leftfront.jpg
    leftfront.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 2,243
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 2,114
  • engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 2,384
  • drysump.jpg
    drysump.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,973
  • interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 2,183
  • roll-cage.jpg
    roll-cage.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,971
I am at the exact reverse situation than you. Have not decided 100% if I want to buy a GT40R. I am certain though that I would have gotten it painted Guardsman Blue, albeit with white stripes. Why do you say yours is not street legal? Does it have a/c? Has Olthoff installed all the sound and water insulation? Is the dry sump legal for vintage racing? Yours seems like a carburetted engine. Would you know if fuel injection is legal for vintage racing in the US? Where is the car presently located? Thanks, John.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I am at the exact reverse situation than you. Have not decided 100% if I want to buy a GT40R. I am certain though that I would have gotten it painted Guardsman Blue, albeit with white stripes. Why do you say yours is not street legal? Does it have a/c? Has Olthoff installed all the sound and water insulation? Is the dry sump legal for vintage racing? Yours seems like a carburetted engine. Would you know if fuel injection is legal for vintage racing in the US? Where is the car presently located? Thanks, John.

GT "R"s are not designed for the street and there are liability issues with the roll cage due to unhelmeted heads contacting the bars. You can option a street GT40 to have much of the "R" content should want a dual purpose car.

The roll cage is not required with some (FIA) vintage groups if the car is a MK I and built to represent a pre-1966 car as Ford did no cages in those cars.

The dry sump is legal for most US vintage groups, the fuel injection would not be. "R" cars do not have A/C standard but it can be optioned.

Ron Earp

Admin
GT "R"s are not designed for the street and there are liability issues with the roll cage due to unhelmeted heads contacting the bars.

Clearly your state laws may differ from mine, but in NC there is no issue with the car having a roll cage and being registered for the street. My T70 replica has a full SCCA cage and is registered for street use. I don't think I'd let the cage deter you from registering the car.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Ron,

It is not a state issue but rather a distributor/insurance/liability issue. The MSO for an "R" comes with the legend "Not legal for street use" imprinted on it.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Ron,

It is not a state issue but rather a distributor/insurance/liability issue. The MSO for an "R" comes with the legend "Not legal for street use" imprinted on it.

Aren't most replicas registered as 'ASVE' (Assembled Vehicle)? Thus an MSO may not be a requirement to register the car in many states as it is considered a self build and not a manufactured.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
In most states an MSO is required for a "rolling chassis/major kit". However, that does not mean the MSO will be looked at/read/etc. I have taken new MSOs form major manufacturers to the NYS DMV with legends on them that would prevent legal registration and had then fly right thru...

Thanks everybody, very interesting comments. Rick, you would remember what happened to the pre-66 GT40 with no roll-cage, althought I see your point for road use. May not even have any room for padding... In any case, I am pretty sure that I would be able to register the car in Europe as an historic vehicle. That's a special class that allows for extremely limited road use, supposedly to/from events and shows. The driveability and reliability of a carburetted engine vs a fuel injected one is my main dilemma. When I owned CSX2431 it would have no serious problems keeping a respectable tune but then again I was much more hands on at that time. Conversely, I would guess that one would really want the dry sump even for just doing an occasional race. I am inclined towards a streetable race car but streetable should be more than just street legal. If that is not feasable than one would have to figure what a raceable street car should be.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
GT "R"s are not designed for the street and there are liability issues with the roll cage due to unhelmeted heads contacting the bars.

Is it simply the issue of the roll cage that makes it 'not legal for street use' or are there other issues in the 'design'? My Tornado GT40 has a cage and there were no issues in registering it, but that was 8 years ago.

My assumption was other than the cage and a\c delete, the 'rolling R' is a standard SPF MkI with suspension mods specific for racing. Happy to be corrected.

In most states an MSO is required for a "rolling chassis/major kit". However, that does not mean the MSO will be looked at/read/etc. I have taken new MSOs form major manufacturers to the NYS DMV with legends on them that would prevent legal registration and had then fly right thru...

I'm not aware if California requires an MSO (I don't even know what an MSO is :shrug: ) Like NYS, maybe it would fly through without any problem?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Is it simply the issue of the roll cage that makes it 'not legal for street use' or are there other issues in the 'design'? My Tornado GT40 has a cage and there were no issues in registering it, but that was 8 years ago.

My assumption was other than the cage and a\c delete, the 'rolling R' is a standard SPF MkI with suspension mods specific for racing. Happy to be corrected.

you are correct that the "R" is a standard GT40 with upgrades for the track and deleted "street" equipment. In New York Stste for example, there is no issue with the roll cage, the state does not even look at it. The "issue" is one of liability for the manufacturer, distributor and dealer. When you do a "Humpty-Dumpty" on your noggin street driving Al Fresco, your estate may decide that someone other than yourself is to blame. While you would sign a release a to race the car waiving recourse to the track and orginizer, you do no such release to street drive the car. It is merely a result of the legal situation in the US that makes the distributor brand the MSO "Not for Street Use".

I'm not aware if California requires an MSO (I don't even know what an MSO is ) Like NYS, maybe it would fly through without any problem?

"MSO"= Manufacturers Statement of Origin, also known as an "MCO", Manufacturers Certificate of Origin. This is the "birth certificate" for a car or chassis and is issued by the manufacturer or distributor to the dealer to be provided to the purchaser. You surrender thios document to the DMV when you register/title the vehicle.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
"MSO"= Manufacturers Statement of Origin, also known as an "MCO", Manufacturers Certificate of Origin.

Thanks Rick. Good to know.

Have any 'R's been registered in CA?

Ron Earp

Admin
In the end, many states do not need or use the MSO. The SPF cars, like all the replicas on this forum, are registered through the self assembled (kit car) rules of your state. As such, you may register the car for street use as you are following the self-assembly car route. I think Rick is trying to state that SPF's intention was for the car to not be used for street use, but in fact once you purchase the car you can do with it what you will.

Ron

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Thanks Rick. Good to know.

Have any 'R's been registered in CA?

Not for the street so far as I know.

What you do with the car after you purchase is between you and your god. We sell the "R" as an "on-track" vehicle but certainly have no control over the car once you purchase it.

Many states DO require an MSO/MCO for the chassis of an non-self built car, i.e. you purchased a chassis (not a frame) rather than welded up from scratch. All rollers should come with an MSO (which is why Shelby makes a big deal out of CS signing the MSOs.....but then you must surrender it to the DMV only to have it go into a box someplace)

Send me money, I'll send you a GT40 "R"...................

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Many states DO require an MSO/MCO for the chassis of an non-self built car, ........but then you must surrender it to the DMV only to have it go into a box someplace)

This is exactly the case in California. I can easily imagine their refusing
to register a car with a notation like "not legal for street use" written on the MSO, assuming they noticed it.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter

This is a good question, what if I ordered an optioned SPF MK1 with a roll cage, would it come with the "not street legal statement" i.e. at what point does it become deemed not legal for street use from SPF's liability concerns? The fact that it is a non DOT approved vehicle I think that would be somewhat of a legal blackhole anyway as SPF cannot warrant it to meet DOT standards?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Julian,

The optional street cage is different from the "R" unit and does not put bars in such close proximity to your noodle. The "R" cage must meet several regulations that require more and larger bars than a street unit woul;d, that is the difference.

The street cage is optional for the occaisonal track day and for those who feel it will provide additional protection on the street (honestly, if you are concerned about street protection you probably should not buy a GT40 to street drive!)

Different designs for different purposes..............

Back