Reproduction GT40 for sale in California - SB100 *SOLD*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the time has come to make this post. We are considering to sell our beloved GTD GT40 for $65K. We've had a lot of fun with it over the last 3 years (it such an awesome "time machine"), and due to personal circumstances have arrived at this decision. This is also a good time to thank the local Bay Area GT40 community (as well as the GT40 Forum community in general) who has always been welcoming and extremely helpful - online and in the "real world". Some of you have seen and heard the car in person - feel free to comment about your impressions of it.

The car is turnkey and needs nothing. It's been super reliable (except one issue with the pulley bolts that broke at some point - remember Howard?). Hop in a drive it. If you are from California you will appreciate the SB-100 for it, which will make it really easy to register the car at the DMV office.

A few "rules of engagement" to keep the BS to a minimum and make this transaction as efficient and pleasurable as possible:
  • We feel our asking price is very reasonable. We've done this to minimize the back-and-forth negotiations. We will sell at the price listed and not below. We may entertain (partial) trades.
  • Please contact me only if you are seriously considering to purchase a reproduction GT40. We'll be happy to answer any reasonable questions to the best of our knowledge.
  • We have no plans to sell any parts of this car individually.
  • Car is located in the SF Bay Area. If you are serious about buying it, we'll be very happy to arrange a viewing. No test drives without money in hand.
  • We do not sell or ship to Nigeria.
Some specs for y'all:

GTD40 #293 - (originally) factory-built by GT Developments Limited in Poole, England
  • Originally built in 1992, then delivered to the original buyer in the US (Kentucky, if I remember correctly). It was owned by a doctor and he had it until 2002. It was then purchased by a car collector here in CA (Marin County) who registered it in 2002 under SB100. We bought it from him.
  • I have performance spec sheets, brake/transmission/wiring manuals as well as full parts list
  • Over $80,000 in receipts for total restoration performed in (mostly) 2002/2003 (incl. build and install of new engine and much other custom fabrication/restoration work)
    • $ 16K for full SVT aluminum race engine (long block)
    • $ 8K for custom, knock-off BRM wheels with period-correct Dunlop racing tires
    • $ 12K for a beautiful, high-quality paint job, (paint is still spectacular, even though there are few tiny paint chips on the "nose" from driving it)
  • Driven around 3K miles since install of new engine and total restoration
  • Mileage: Body ~5,000/Engine ~3,000
  • Currently registered in California under SB100 as a 2002 Special Vehicle with a 1966 Ford engine
Body:
  • MKI body in blue and orange racing colors with high quality vinyl roundels (#6) and Gulf livery
  • Body panels with kevlar weave reinforcement
  • Driver-side Gurney Bubble option (for extra head room)
  • Custom powder coated front, side and rear grilles
  • MKII rear, functional engine air intake snorkels

Suspension, Brakes, Tires:
  • Adjustable Spax racing shocks (no leaks)
  • 4 wheel vented power disc brakes
  • Custom-made and painted 15" x 8.5" (front)/10" (rear) BRM knock-off wheels
  • Custom-machined knock-off hubs with safety-wired knock-offs
  • Dunlop period-correct race tires (4.75/10.00-15 fronts and 6.00/12.00-15 rears)

Frame:
  • Full jig-welded, steel space frame
  • Zinc-metal sprayed and powder coated
  • Riveted aluminum panels

Interior:
  • Left-hand drive
  • Full leather interior option
  • Full carpet kit option
  • Dual gas tanks with dashboard switch for two electric fuel pumps
  • Upgraded high-capacity A/C and heater
  • Adjustable steering column with quick-release steering wheel
  • Side windows with custom-built, adjustable vents
  • Custom short shift lever and center console with leather boot
  • Custom pedal assembly (spaced to allow more foot room)

Engine:
  • New engine built by TOE Performance with ~3000 miles
  • All-Aluminum (SVT block & heads) 347 cu Ford stroker engine with 8.9 : 1 compression
  • Dynoed 406 hp at 5,500 rpm
  • Dynoed 424 lb-ft torque at 4,600 rpm
  • (4) 48mm IDA Weber carburetors with nickel-plated stacks and individual K&N air filters
  • Cobra vintage Valve covers
  • Braided-steel lines/hoses all around
  • "Jet-Hot" covered, open exhaust system (a very "useable" system as it is reasonably quiet at cruising speed, not so quiet when you are on the gas)
  • New, Die-Hard high-performance battery

Transaxle
  • Custom-built R30 Type 369 transaxle with LSD
  • 5-speed with reverse lock-out
Please contact me via PM or email ([email protected]). Please include your contact info (i.e. phone#), if you want to talk. Thanks.

A few photos (taken 08/21/2012):

DSC_9878.JPG

DSC_9880.JPG

DSC_9884.JPG

DSC_9893.JPG

DSC_9895.JPG

DSC_9898.JPG

DSC_9905.JPG

DSC_9907.JPG

DSC_9914.JPG

DSC_9920.JPG

DSC_9923.JPG

DSC_9926.JPG

DSC_9943.JPG

DSC_9945.JPG

Re: Reproduction GT40 for sale in California - SB100 - $65K

Very nice. I bought my latto ticket yesterday... just a mater of time:) good luck richard

Correction: I made a typo - it is build# 297 (not 293).

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter

That looks like one heck of a deal for someone...

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter

Erich,

I'm sorry to hear that you are selling your car, it must be a very hard decision.

I have seen this car in person several times, the photos do not show what a beautiful car this is. This is a very well put together 40, head turning car. Whoever ends up with this beauty will be a very lucky person.

Erich, always upsetting to see someone sell off a car that has obvioulsy meant a lot to them. This is one damn fine looking 40. Good Luck with the sale. I'm just trying to figure out if two 40's would fit in my garage. Hmmmmm

Howard Jones

Supporter

I know this car, if you are looking for a complete, extremely finished and clean, ready to own car, this is it. If you are in California then this is a simple title transfer, no DMV bullshit.

Thank you for all your nice comments gentlemen...and thank you for your help & advice throughout this awesome experience of owning and driving our 40!

It was a tough call to put the car up for sale. We put a lot of "love" into it and it runs and sounds like a beast!

...back to the sale of the car. I've responded to all emails and PM's I received.

Last edited:

Hey Erich,
How you been? I had to chuckle at your "rules of engagement". You won't part it out and you won't ship to Nigeria.LOL I can't blame you. Can I rent it for 30 days @ 17cents per mile?

Hate to see you let it go. Good luck with the sale. It won't last at that price.

TTYL Ray

Hi Ray, great to hear from you - all is well. YOU can rent it for...heck, I would even let you drive it for free if you were a bit closer!

How much space does the Gurney bubble and custom pedals give? I.e. how tall driver?

And do you have records showing the 1992 build date? I am in Canada, and that should help with import.

Thanks
Robin

How much space does the Gurney bubble and custom pedals give? I.e. how tall driver?

And do you have records showing the 1992 build date? I am in Canada, and that should help with import.

Thanks
Robin

The Gurney bubble gives you an extra couple of inches. I am 6' and it's very comfortable for me; I imagine if you are not taller than 6'2" you'll be fine.

Yes, I have paperwork showing the (factory) build to be 1992.

Feel free to PM or email me at [email protected] if you have more questions. Thanks.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter

I really like the MKI body with the MKII snorkels!

Going out to buy my Lotto tickets within the next hour!

Cheers, and good luck with the sale (I hope it is to me :2thumbsup: )

Doug

Call me please with details. I emailed you my number. I will PM my number too.

WOW what a car! So much attention to details, and I love the air vents mounted lateral to the rear window/engine cover!

I can't believe this beauty is still on the market..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back