1965 GTD GT40 For Sale - Ex Iron Sheik Car and Well Sorted *SOLD*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1965 cav gt40

looks indeed like a good deal, nice car.
does it come with some mufflers or only the straight pipes, just wondering.
(not that I can buy this car, sadly...)

indeed very confusing...
because the toppic title and some CAV books in the pictures etc but not a CAV stainless chassis so I thought also its a GTD (also GTD have some in stainless chassis but those are rare and I could not spot that)

indeed (forgot about that)

what about this>>
90.jpg

looked about that FAV but thats the old factory?
came across some nice old pictures from real 40's so a bit confused.

but it looks interesting still, also the 1965 plate? that means no road tax in my country :drunk:

but still if you want to bring such car here you have to pay import tax and other taxes...:lipsrsealed:

hm...then maybe it is a early CAV/GTD...seeing the CA number? (short for CAV? at that time?)

perhaps the build took a long time (just guessing a bit)

I think I've found the answer...

Thanks for viewing our STUNNING 1966 CAV GTD 40 MK-I with just 127 miles, serial #CAV010***.

so the one advertised is problably also "both" its a GTD from CAV named CAV :D

came across another one for sale although I see now it uses all letters CAV and not only CA but a special plate on the chassis says it all, GTD GT40 made by Cape Adva....etc but I'm not gonna poste that ad because of break in this for sale thread from Andy but never seen such plate.

then maybe it is a early CAV/GTD...seeing the CA number?

Normally no ... a early CAV (with GTD frame) should have a "S" in the middle of the VIN #... S for Steel tubular (and "MONO" for the ss monocoques).

Maybe a CAV/GTD despite the VIN...

Last edited:

Julian

Lifetime Supporter

This number may have nothing to do with the manufacturer or their sequential chassis number, what it may be is an assigned VIN# for an replica/kit/ASVE (Assembled vehicle) issued by the state it was first titled in. CA would designate California, my KVA has a similar assigned VIN# starting with MA it being first registered in Massachusetts.

Julian

This is definitely a GTD imported from GTD, Poole by me. It was the Iron Shiek's car. The build was started by me and the majority of the build was completed by Farhad. The car had nothing to do with CAV. The number you are looking at is the vin given by California during the SB 100 process and has nothing to do with the GTD serial number.

Howard Jones

Supporter

Bud is correct, I "know this car personally" nothing wrong, just a nice fake plate with a SB100 California ID number stenciled onto it and a little confusion as to the original "kit" manufacture. I have a plate just like it on mine. The car is FOR SURE a GTD. I forget who had these plates made up and sold then pretty cheap to several of us here on the forum.

Cool looking little plate, and unless someone is stupid enough to try and pass a replica off as a real car then no harm is done. The car is a nice one and would be fun to own. The fair price is whatever is agreed to by a willing buyer and seller.

Hi Bud!

thanks, so its a GTD for sure but that CA number is a California number but not the GTD chassis number...makes some sence.
then what is the GTD chassis number, and is this a panneled spaceframe? or one of a few stainless monocoque.

thanks, so its a GTD for sure but that CA number is a California number but not the GTD chassis number...makes some sence.
then what is the GTD chassis number, and is this a panneled spaceframe? or one of a few stainless monocoque.

Pannelled spaceframe chassis. As far as the chassis number, you would have to ask the seller.

Ian

This is my old car, for sure. I got full price for it when I sold it. Add to that the extra trans and lots of other bits I sold on ebay,,,I got about $69K.

The new owner, painted the center wheels, changed the instruments, battery, intake and carburation to make it a much more of a "daily driver". IMHO, he did a good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back