Race / Street Lola T70 replica *SOLD*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just listed my race prepared Lola T70 replica. It is also streetable with minor mods with parts I have - e.g. turn signals, softer springs, Georgia Tag, etc.

Also have some spares I'll separate if not sold with car.

Thanks and welcome discussion on history, condition, and riding very pissed off bull in the HSR Group 5 races!
Ward Witkowski in Atlanta (Marietta actually!).

1965 Lola T70 Spyder replica Spec Sheet

Re: Race / Street Lola T70 replica for sale in Atlanta

Ward,
Good looking car.

Can the car run on pump gas or does it require race fuel?

The specs note there is only an 8 gallon fuel tank. How difficult would it be to get a larger one put in?

Who originally made the chassis?

Hi Ward, looks like a beautifully prepared (and looking) Lola replica. And it looks like you've had a lot of fun with her.

Mind me asking how the audi box has held up under race conditions? Is that an 016? standard or improved somehow?

Thank you.

Ward,
Good looking car.

Can the car run on pump gas or does it require race fuel?

The specs note there is only an 8 gallon fuel tank. How difficult would it be to get a larger one put in?

Who originally made the chassis?

Ward here:
The race motor was set up to run on pump gas so on the street 93 octane is fine. At the track I use a 50/50 mix with or 100% of 112 race gas and see an improvement in pickup out of the corners at top end 6800 rpm especially.

The car's original specs said it had a 14 gallon tank, but the bladder was replaced by the time I got it and it only carries just over 8 gallons in the right side pontoon (under the passenger side door). A second tank could be fitted below the driver's door if one re-routed the water lines through the center. I also contemplated putting another fuel-safe tank in place of the passenger's seat if I ever did enduros.

The chassis was built by John Gyann (CanAm Exotics) who built it and won the Run & Gun in 2003 in it. (see article in KitCar July and November issues) as is the Heritage spare chassis I believe. They appear the same from basic measurements taken.

Hi Ward, looks like a beautifully prepared (and looking) Lola replica. And it looks like you've had a lot of fun with her.

Mind me asking how the audi box has held up under race conditions? Is that an 016? standard or improved somehow?

Thank you.

Apparently it is a highly modified 016 box from England with stregnthened shafts and gears as the motor puts out 420 lbs of torque and 460 hp as built by Hypercision then. It's been fine since it was built by Gyann and run in the Run & Gun competitions.

On the street the gears are great. When I moved towards more of just Racing, I find I only use 1-2-3 for the short track like Hutchison Island and then also 4th on longer tracks like Road Atlanta and Sebring. I got stuck in 3rd one time and the shop replaced a synchro and some detents and it's fine now. We just pulled it to check and also to replace the old hard boots on the CV joints. Should be ready to go in a week or two.

If I raced it more seriously I would install the ZF Pantera 5 Speed & Kennedy bell housing that I have as I been advised that's the way to go. Or maybe the 01E, don't much about those though.

Thanks for the questions. Telling you everything I know.

It's actually a blast to drive, but I miss the smaller Lola 88/90 I had and am going back to that racing this year. Ward.

Lola T70 replica race/street for sale in forum

Just a link over to the FOR SALE forum for a T70.....hope this points you there. Ward.

Just listed my race prepared Lola T70 replica. It is also streetable with minor mods with parts I have - e.g. turn signals, softer springs, Georgia Tag, etc.

Also have some spares I'll separate if not sold with car.

Thanks and welcome discussion on history, condition, and riding very pissed off bull in the HSR Group 5 races!
Ward Witkowski in Atlanta (Marietta actually!).

1965 Lola T70 Spyder replica Spec Sheet

Hello Ward,I might have interest in the Heritage chassis and more spares,could we communicate by phone,my phone is Germany-172-4588485.Best regards,Franz.

Franz, Thanks for interest. I will sell the racecar first and so any spares package needs to go there first (if I was the racecar buyer I would want most of the spares!!). Whatever I still have after the racecar is gone I will contact you and list in the Parts forum.

Race car price reduced to $80,000. Please have a look and pm me here or contact me at [email protected] directly.

Thanks in Advance and I am listing the Heritage Chassis, body, "real" Lola Sypder body, ZF Trans, 4 Weber IDA on Aluminum intake for small block Chevy, and other Spares in a new Post later today.

Ward in Atlanta

Lola T70 Spyder Project for Sale

Regarding the Heritage Engineering Lola T70 Replica Chassis, spares, and body made in England I provide the following information.

I own the "first" chassis Heritage Engineering built. It was used to set up the original Heritage Engineering JIG Table to produce other chassis. A total of 3 chassis were built. In between each build, my chassis was put back into the JIG Table to ensure all the measuring and connection points of the JIG Table were put back to exactly correct. My chassis was also used to "dry fit" all other parts made for the prototype described below. As you'll read in the GT40s site on the "Lola T70 Lounge" page Johan Woerheide of Atlanta Georgia bought the Spyder race car described after it had done very well in Europe in vintage races. Johan bought the race car, my chassis and the third chassis and some spares.

Whilst I bought the "first" chassis, the "second" chassis continued racing in the US as a Spyder under Johan then was sold to Byron Defoor as well as the "third" chassis as a spare. Byron then re-bodied the Spyder race car with the "second" chassis ainto a Mark IIIb Coupe - see article by John Starkey below and his site with it for sale today at $225,000.

History of the "second" Chassis Heritage Engineering built as Spyder full race car in Europe then USA under Johan Woerheide:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/lola-t70-lounge/23697-heritage-engineering-t70-spyder.html

Johan's log and pictures are EXACTLY what my Heritage Engineering chassis, spares, and body will look like when complete if you do a good job.

Article by John Starkey on the Heritage Lola T70 Spider then rebodies as a Coupe:

JOHN STARKEY CARS :: GRYFON INC.

And now a few years and races later it is For Sale by John Starkey - Heritage Lola T70 Coupe:

JOHN STARKEY CARS :: CARS FOR SALE

Back to my Heritage Engineering "second" Chassis and Spare for sale:

1) Complete Heritage Chassis from England. Steel tube chassis. Designed with Wide pontoons for bigger fuel cells and narrow cockpit. The chassis has inner aluminum pan, under body aluminum pan, lots of heim jointed arms (looks about right number for set for uprights, but may lack just a few), couple boxes of other aluminum panels but surely not complete set, 2 rear uprights, 6 front uprights, and full Heritage body - nose, cowl, pontoons, doors, tail in black gel-coat. $20,000.

2) Complete real LOLA Spyder body including MarkII wide flare kit and seats from Mac MacClendon molds that are used in his T70 Restoration shop. $12,000

3) Brand new rebuild by Ron McCall: ZF Pantera gearbox with CV axles and neat shift linkage, 1st=2.23, 2nd=1.47, 3rd=1.04, 4th=.846 and 5th=.705, Final Drive = 4.22 and Reverse=2.86, a new Kennedy bellhousing/clutch slave for ZF to small-block Chevy, plus light steel or Aluminum flywheel and Tilton clutch setup. $10,000

4) New, barely used 4 IDA downdrafts, linkage, jets, fuel lines on aluminum intake for small block Chevy, grate covers for trumpets that just came off Woerheide real T70 car he shifted to FI. $4,000

Transport is on your responsibility, but all will fit in 10 foot by 20 foot trailer no problem. I can help load the trailer if you have it delivered and shipped to you.

If you take it all, then we can negotiate a combined reduced price.

I will attach pictures here as I can or send via email.

I'm going back to my roots racing the smaller Lola T88/90.

Please contact me at:

[email protected]

Attachments

• Sunoco body 2.jpg
    Sunoco body 2.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 1,422
  • DSC03920.jpg
    DSC03920.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 998
  • DSC03915.jpg
    DSC03915.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 942
  • DSC03910.jpg
    DSC03910.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 844
  • DSC03908.jpg
    DSC03908.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 810
  • DSC03912.jpg
    DSC03912.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 877
  • DSC03917.jpg
    DSC03917.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 775
  • Ward Nov 2011 to Dec 2012 123.jpg
    Ward Nov 2011 to Dec 2012 123.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 837
  • Ward Nov 2011 to Dec 2012 124.jpg
    Ward Nov 2011 to Dec 2012 124.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 795
  • Ward Nov 2011 to Dec 2012 122.jpg
    Ward Nov 2011 to Dec 2012 122.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 811
  • Ward Nov 2011 to Dec 2012 160.jpg
    Ward Nov 2011 to Dec 2012 160.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 707
  • Ward Nov 2011 to Dec 2012 121.jpg
    Ward Nov 2011 to Dec 2012 121.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 733
  • Ward Nov 2011 to Dec 2012 161.jpg
    Ward Nov 2011 to Dec 2012 161.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 745
  • Ward Nov 2011 to Dec 2012 162.jpg
    Ward Nov 2011 to Dec 2012 162.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 930
  • DSC03921.jpg
    DSC03921.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 778

Here is the link to the Heritage Chassis, body, spares, and "real" Lola T70 body I am selling separately:

Lola T70 Spyder Project for Sale

Here is a great article on the CanAm Exotics Lola T70 Racecar listed above that was then modified further for Vintage Racing.

Canam Lola T70 Kit Car - Lightning Lola-Palooza

Canam Exotics' New T-70 Is Race-Worthy And Streetable
From the November, 2003 issue of Kit Car
By Mike Blake
Photography by John Lacko

Lollapalooza is a slang word that means "something striking or exceptional." That word is brought to life by CanAm Exotics' new T-70, a Lola-inspired car that is exceptional and striking on the street and track. It is one Lola-palooza, and it is lightning fast.

The original Lola T-70, from which the CanAm Exotics' takes its inspiration, dominated the CanAm Group 7 series for most of the '60s, putting Lola on the same nostalgic plane as GT40, Cobra, McLaren, and Chaparral. Propelled by strong, throaty, heavily muscled Chevy V-8s, the T-70 was a perfect '60s combination of sweet, sexy, awesome looks, formidable power, and a chassis and suspension package that subjugated the opposition to "also-ran" designation. On the most competitive circuits around the world and on such historical sites as Indianapolis and Daytona, driven by such world-class drivers as Bruce McLaren, Mario Andretti, A.J. Foyt, John Surtees, Denis Hulme, Jackie Stewart, Bob Bondurant, Parnelli Jones, and Dan Gurney, the Lola T-70 produced victories, head-turning beauty, and sense-vibrating sound.

Surtees kicked off the Lola's success in 1966 by winning the inaugural North American CanAm Championship in a Lola T-70 MKII. Later that year, Formula 1 World Champion Graham Hill won the Indianapolis 500 in a Lola T-90.

Lola's racing success continued, winning the Japanese Formula 3000 Championship eight times from 1987 to 1997. In 1990, Lola won the European Formula 3000 Championship, and in 1991, 1992, and 1993, Lola won the Indy Car Championship titles with Andretti and Nigel Mansell at the helm.

In 1996, Lola's chassis won 50 percent of the Indy Car races and Lola notched up its 100th Indy Car race win.

That brings us to THIS T-70, created by John Gyann of CanAm Exotics. While this car is marketed as a T-70, it is Lola-esqe in its inspiration. That name and configuration belongs to Eric Broadley, who established Lola Cars in 1958 and who helped design the Ford GT40. In 1965, Broadley built the first T-70 and was responsible for the history and success we chronicled above. Gyann's T-70 is built in that Lola tradition and muse.

However, back to Gyann, who has made this magazine before with his delicious Mustang GT350 (May '02) and numerous successful runs at Run and Gun. Gyann helped make this year's Carlisle Kit Car Nationals an exciting show with the debut of his T-70. At the show he became the first owner/builder to be presented with his SECOND Editor's Choice Car of the Show trophy (he had previously won the coveted honor at the '01 Run and Gun with his Mustang GT350). The award was presented, despite some tough competition, because of the T-70's design, sexiness, power, overall look, and expected impact on the industry. Yes, this Chevy-powered beauty could be a REAL force in the kit car world.

Gyann took the T-70 concept and re-engineered it from the ground up. Its high-quality fiberglass body faithfully recalls the original design. The Darien, Illinois, resident was helped by Brett Monson, Corey Shaw, and John O'Connor during a six-month build to get it right. He chose the T-70 as a project as he was looking for a '60s-era non-Cobra to drive at Run and Gun and to offer to the public. Gyann's design team retained the nostalgic, timeless styling, while improving handling, grip, braking, and refinements beyond current accepted performance limits. The team produced a car that provides amateur drivers and race-seasoned pros with a vehicle in which they can achieve their own levels of personal performance, excitement, and fun. This particular '66 T-70 body was painted DuPont Torch Red by Cain Customs.

CanAm Exotics built the modern CAD-CAN designed, triangulated space frame with 1.25-inch .083 steel. The wheelbase of 95 inches makes for a smooth ride, helped by a '92 Getrag five-speed rearend. A custom antiroll bar and fuel-safe 14-gallon cell complement the frame.

A proven engine and transmission combination make this one lightning kit. Bow Tie powered by a 350ci Chevy V-8 that has been stroked to 383 ci, the mill produces 460 hp at 6,800 rpm (on dyno). An Eagle crankshaft, custom 2-inch headers, Speed Pro 10.5 pistons, Edelbrock heads, Jessel shaft-mount rockers, five-speed Getrag transaxle, and custom cam, motor mounts, and valve covers make for one beefy package that also produces 420 lb-ft of torque at 3,500 rpm. A Mallory distributor, MSD coil and wires, Enderle manifold, and fast gas injector round out the system.

Stopping power is achieved with Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, and AP six-piston brakes with 13-inch rotors, and a Wilwood pedal assembly was installed.

The interior is accented by ST-1 computer gauges, CanAm Exotics custom dash and seats, and Sparco steering wheel.

If your dream is one of building and owning your own lightning-quick, sexy, stylish race car/street car that pays due homage to the golden age of '60s racing, then take a long look at the CanAm Exotics T-70. This is one Lola-palooza.

Read more: Canam Lola T70 Kit Car - Indy Street Car - Kit Car Magazine

Lollapalooza is a slang word that means "something striking or exceptional." That word is brought to life by CanAm Exotics' new T-70, a Lola-inspired car that is exceptional and striking on the street and track. It is one Lola-palooza, and it is lightning fast.

The original Lola T-70, from which the CanAm Exotics' takes its inspiration, dominated the CanAm Group 7 series for most of the '60s, putting Lola on the same nostalgic plane as GT40, Cobra, McLaren, and Chaparral. Propelled by strong, throaty, heavily muscled Chevy V-8s, the T-70 was a perfect '60s combination of sweet, sexy, awesome looks, formidable power, and a chassis and suspension package that subjugated the opposition to "also-ran" designation. On the most competitive circuits around the world and on such historical sites as Indianapolis and Daytona, driven by such world-class drivers as Bruce McLaren, Mario Andretti, A.J. Foyt, John Surtees, Denis Hulme, Jackie Stewart, Bob Bondurant, Parnelli Jones, and Dan Gurney, the Lola T-70 produced victories, head-turning beauty, and sense-vibrating sound.

Surtees kicked off the Lola's success in 1966 by winning the inaugural North American CanAm Championship in a Lola T-70 MKII. Later that year, Formula 1 World Champion Graham Hill won the Indianapolis 500 in a Lola T-90.

Lola's racing success continued, winning the Japanese Formula 3000 Championship eight times from 1987 to 1997. In 1990, Lola won the European Formula 3000 Championship, and in 1991, 1992, and 1993, Lola won the Indy Car Championship titles with Andretti and Nigel Mansell at the helm.

In 1996, Lola's chassis won 50 percent of the Indy Car races and Lola notched up its 100th Indy Car race win.

That brings us to THIS T-70, created by John Gyann of CanAm Exotics. While this car is marketed as a T-70, it is Lola-esqe in its inspiration. That name and configuration belongs to Eric Broadley, who established Lola Cars in 1958 and who helped design the Ford GT40. In 1965, Broadley built the first T-70 and was responsible for the history and success we chronicled above. Gyann's T-70 is built in that Lola tradition and muse.

However, back to Gyann, who has made this magazine before with his delicious Mustang GT350 (May '02) and numerous successful runs at Run and Gun. Gyann helped make this year's Carlisle Kit Car Nationals an exciting show with the debut of his T-70. At the show he became the first owner/builder to be presented with his SECOND Editor's Choice Car of the Show trophy (he had previously won the coveted honor at the '01 Run and Gun with his Mustang GT350). The award was presented, despite some tough competition, because of the T-70's design, sexiness, power, overall look, and expected impact on the industry. Yes, this Chevy-powered beauty could be a REAL force in the kit car world.

Gyann took the T-70 concept and re-engineered it from the ground up. Its high-quality fiberglass body faithfully recalls the original design. The Darien, Illinois, resident was helped by Brett Monson, Corey Shaw, and John O'Connor during a six-month build to get it right. He chose the T-70 as a project as he was looking for a '60s-era non-Cobra to drive at Run and Gun and to offer to the public. Gyann's design team retained the nostalgic, timeless styling, while improving handling, grip, braking, and refinements beyond current accepted performance limits. The team produced a car that provides amateur drivers and race-seasoned pros with a vehicle in which they can achieve their own levels of personal performance, excitement, and fun. This particular '66 T-70 body was painted DuPont Torch Red by Cain Customs.

CanAm Exotics built the modern CAD-CAN designed, triangulated space frame with 1.25-inch .083 steel. The wheelbase of 95 inches makes for a smooth ride, helped by a '92 Getrag five-speed rearend. A custom antiroll bar and fuel-safe 14-gallon cell complement the frame.

A unique independent suspension system, under license from Corey Shaw Technologies, was designed utilizing an engineering methodology called Reactive Kinematics. The result is a thoroughly integrated four-corner suspension system that provides automatic grip biasing, which reacts to inputs from both the driver and the environment.

A proven engine and transmission combination make this one lightning kit. Bow Tie powered by a 350ci Chevy V-8 that has been stroked to 383 ci, the mill produces 460 hp at 6,800 rpm (on dyno). An Eagle crankshaft, custom 2-inch headers, Speed Pro 10.5 pistons, Edelbrock heads, Jessel shaft-mount rockers, five-speed Getrag transaxle, and custom cam, motor mounts, and valve covers make for one beefy package that also produces 420 lb-ft of torque at 3,500 rpm. A Mallory distributor, MSD coil and wires, Enderle manifold, and fast gas injector round out the system.

Stopping power is achieved with Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, and AP six-piston brakes with 13-inch rotors, and a Wilwood pedal assembly was installed.

The interior is accented by ST-1 computer gauges, CanAm Exotics custom dash and seats, and Sparco steering wheel.

If your dream is one of building and owning your own lightning-quick, sexy, stylish race car/street car that pays due homage to the golden age of '60s racing, then take a long look at the CanAm Exotics T-70. This is one Lola-palooza.

Re: Lola T70 Spyder Project for Sale

Quick Update:
I've had a couple of inquiries about selling the ZF Transaxle and Weber IDA setup separately. Of course I'd rather sell all of the above one package deal to get someone on the road to a solid build. The whole package price is negotiable starting at $40k. If someone just picks up the Heritage Engineering Chasis, body, spares, and/or "real" Lola body, then I'd be splitting up the rest. But not 'till then. Hope this clears things up a bit. Just want the big package to set someone on a clear road/track!

Cheers,
Ward in Atlanta.
[email protected]

Answering to the best of my knowledge and ability which may be limited and any errors are completely unintentional:

Question being asked: what is the difference between my CanAm Exotics Lola T70 race/street car and this Heritage Engineering Lola T70 chassis/body/jigs/spares.

The Heritage Engineering cars came first. 3 chassis were produced as desicribed above. 1 full race car as described above (Europe as sypder, Woerheide as spyder, Predator rebodied as coupe, now for sale at John Starkey) and one spare chassis with Coupe race car for sale and my chassis, jigs, pattern aluminum plates, uprights, etc, etc. Secondly the chassis are a bit different in that the Heritage Engineering chassis is more closely precise to the original in that the pontoons are wider (for fuel) and the cockpit narrower but follows racing rules. The CanAm race car was a close copy but has narrower pontoons to provide more room for 2 actual size occupants as it was going for the street market.

Question being asked: will the "real" (from the same molds as real, and currently used for restorations) Lola T70 body fit on the Heritage Engineering Chassis and spares.

Yes, it has the same 95" wheelbase, and widths, has already been proven by fitting, and proven by Predator as they have done this with the Coupe body onto the Heritage Spyder chassis above. Of course this body is perfect for restoration/repair for existing "proper" T70 or as body for other application.

Question being asked: more pictures!!!!

have more and will compress to fit onto site.

Hope this helps,
Ward in Atlanta
[email protected]

Attempting attachment of resized pictures.

Attachments

• heritage 1 - Copy.JPG
    heritage 1 - Copy.JPG
    348.6 KB · Views: 576
  • heritage 2 dup.jpg
    heritage 2 dup.jpg
    582.7 KB · Views: 696
  • heritage 4 dup.jpg
    heritage 4 dup.jpg
    559.8 KB · Views: 622
  • heritage 3 dup.jpg
    heritage 3 dup.jpg
    568.1 KB · Views: 768
  • heritage 5 dup.jpg
    heritage 5 dup.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 581

Rest of Heritage Engineering package. Bit of a jigsaw puzzle, but EVERYTHING that came over from Europe is here and should be a great start to building up a fine street or race car. One could also pick up the more "real" Lola T70 body (bit longer nose, proper superlite body) used in Restorations and repairs in US.

Attachments

• heritage 6 dup.jpg
    heritage 6 dup.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 579
  • Heritage 7 dup.jpg
    Heritage 7 dup.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 552
  • Heritage 8 dup.jpg
    Heritage 8 dup.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 530
  • Heritage 9 dup.jpg
    Heritage 9 dup.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 572
  • Heritage 10 dup.jpg
    Heritage 10 dup.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 587
  • heritage 11 dup.jpg
    heritage 11 dup.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 592
  • Heritage 12 dup.jpg
    Heritage 12 dup.jpg
    441.7 KB · Views: 500
  • Heritage 13 dup.jpg
    Heritage 13 dup.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 548
  • Heritage 14 dup.jpg
    Heritage 14 dup.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 536
  • Heritage 17 dup.jpg
    Heritage 17 dup.jpg
    607.1 KB · Views: 456
  • heritage extras dup.jpg
    heritage extras dup.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 557
  • Heritage 16 dup.jpg
    Heritage 16 dup.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 519

Closest "real" Lola T70 body from new build/restoration/repair mold.
Cowl section shown in a couple of pictures is wrong, this belongs to the Heritage Engineering Body. The "correct" cowl and sidepods are pictured next and in total this body weighs probably half of the Heritage Engineering body. "Orange" fiberglass is the inner rear wheel wells. The "white" kit is the WIDE flares from a Mark II, usually an extra cost.
Hope this helps too.
Ward in Atlanta
[email protected]

Attachments

• real lola 2 wrong cowl dup.jpg
    real lola 2 wrong cowl dup.jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 633
  • real lola 1 wrong cowl dup.jpg
    real lola 1 wrong cowl dup.jpg
    566.2 KB · Views: 1,021
  • real lola 3 correct cowl pontoons dup.jpg
    real lola 3 correct cowl pontoons dup.jpg