Cav gt40 for sale uk ***SOLD***

Status
Not open for further replies.
CAV for sale, built as a kit supplied by Autofutura, Chassis number 1A93MONOB66. Professional paint job by Bodytone of Wokingham, Le Mans Blue, double Bright White stripe. 347 stroker engine, reconditioned block originally manufactured in 1991. Audi gearbox code APP/APN, also spare unused code 5N gearbox. A/C, locking fuel fillers, Holley carb, electronic ignition, standard brakes, quick release wheels with spinners.

Car completed in 2004 and registered as new, less than 500 miles on the clock.

Many detail improvements by Frank Catt and Geoff Taylor, including:
i) reworked front and rear suspension using CAV Canada four corner suspension kit upgrades, rear chassis cross beam and anti roll bar mods
ii) electric rear view door mirrors from BMW Mini
iii) improved gear change linkages
iv) raised coolant tank and improved coolant bleeding.

Based in the Guildford area. OIRO £55,000.

Attachments

• DSC04407.jpg
    DSC04407.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 3,409
  • DSC04408.jpg
    DSC04408.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 2,309
  • DSC04409.jpg
    DSC04409.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 2,099
  • DSC04410.jpg
    DSC04410.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 2,288
  • DSC04412.jpg
    DSC04412.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 1,909
  • DSC04413.jpg
    DSC04413.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 1,955
  • DSC04415.jpg
    DSC04415.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 1,845
  • DSC04416.jpg
    DSC04416.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 1,981
  • DSC04419.jpg
    DSC04419.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 1,683
  • DSC04420.jpg
    DSC04420.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 1,850
  • DSC04423.jpg
    DSC04423.jpg
    497.8 KB · Views: 2,462
  • DSC04425.jpg
    DSC04425.jpg
    441.7 KB · Views: 1,978

Pat

Supporter
Wow, that is a beautiful car with all the right mods. With the current exchange rate that is a fantastic deal for a buyer in the USA.

Can see its is up for sale now for 90k.... on total head turners

I have been looking for a car like this for 2 years! Dam!

They have form in this. The red Tornado they have up for sale for £70,000 was sold a week earlier on eBay for £43,000
Sadly this it taking the cost of these cars out of the reach of the real enthusiasts.
Simon

I missed the red one on eBay,sold ŵithin 24 hours, I tried to buy the CAV car, but the vendor chose to sell to a dealer and not an enthusiast,
There is a limit to the cars he takes into stock, however, if the dealer makes about 50% profit on each car, his war chest will be bigger than mine unfortunately

Pity these cars are going to a dealer and not to enthusiasts

Will

Unfortunately, once a Q plate has been registered to a vehicle, it's impossible to remove.

As I understand, when the vehicle is registered, if you cannot prove its age and origin and at the same time using the majority of mechanical components,then it will be given a Q plate by the DVLA

I'm sure more knowledgable forum members will be able to clarify further

Will

I wouldn't be put off by a Q plate....remember that a GT40 race car we all aspire to, wouldn't of had a registration on it in the first place.

I was in the same position last year looking for a 40, but the prices were skyrocketing and having been gazumped twice by THT snatching a car from under my nose, I had given up hope. Fortunately I managed to locate a superb GTD version, but was on a Q plate. The owner was and enthusiast who was keen to pass on the car to a fellow enthusiast and did not put the car on the open market....and so I got it for an absolute bargain. The Q plate does devalue the car but there was no way I could have afforded even half of what THT are asking for GT40s now.
Once you accept the Q reg, you can get on and enjoy the car.....Believe me, when you get behind the wheel, the Q plate is the last thing on your mind. If I hadn't of made the jump for this car, I would had given up and spent the money elsewhere and may never had ticked this car off my 'bucket list'

Strangely, if the builder of my car had kept more detailed building note and all receipts for the parts which appear new, he would have got an age related plate back in 1991 when the car was completed. I think the problem back then was that builders did not think to far ahead to what the IVA test involved and the ramifications of not keeping a proper build log.

Happy hunting Will

IMG_3808.JPG

Can somebody explain to non-UK citizens why a Q-plate is so poorly appreciated ?

Is it a question of insurance ? MOT ? or only snobbery about having an age-related plate (the "my original replica is older than your bastard kit car" thing ?)

Malcolm

Supporter
This

only snobbery about having an age-related plate (the "my original replica is older than your bastard kit car" thing

Any car with a Q plate is one with an unknown age. It applies to non kit cars too but generally is perceived to be a moniker of a cheaper quality kit car which may not actually be the case.

The Q plate make no different to the insurance so it is down to perception and myth...strangely, its is an age thing.. people over 40 in the UK tend to remember the Q plates being on the bastard built vehicle from scrap yard parts....nowadays, this just isn't practical which is why we see Toyota MR2s in ferrari party dresses.... The Q is now saved for an vehicle which has an undefined age or the model/make does not replicate the log book...imported cars are the favorite for the Q plate and hot rods....
Quite a number of old GT40 replicas are registered on an bought log book from a scraped 1960's Ford Coupe or Mustang from the US, just so the registration can match the era of the GT40..... I was offered a KVA with a 1960's reg but it had Mustang on the log book.....at least a Q plate is Honest.
My kids, and for that matter, most of the general public, have no idea what a Q plate means...My kids thought it was a private plate and 'cool' because they had never seen the letter Q in a registration before....

I wouldn't be put off by a Q plate....remember that a GT40 race car we all aspire to, wouldn't of had a registration on it in the first place.

I was in the same position last year looking for a 40, but the prices were skyrocketing and having been gazumped twice by THT snatching a car from under my nose, I had given up hope. Fortunately I managed to locate a superb GTD version, but was on a Q plate. The owner was and enthusiast who was keen to pass on the car to a fellow enthusiast and did not put the car on the open market....and so I got it for an absolute bargain. The Q plate does devalue the car but there was no way I could have afforded even half of what THT are asking for GT40s now.
Once you accept the Q reg, you can get on and enjoy the car.....Believe me, when you get behind the wheel, the Q plate is the last thing on your mind. If I hadn't of made the jump for this car, I would had given up and spent the money elsewhere and may never had ticked this car off my 'bucket list'

Strangely, if the builder of my car had kept more detailed building note and all receipts for the parts which appear new, he would have got an age related plate back in 1991 when the car was completed. I think the problem back then was that builders did not think to far ahead to what the IVA test involved and the ramifications of not keeping a proper build log.

Happy hunting Will

View attachment 84785

Nice one :thumbsup:

I was offered a KVA with a 1960's reg but it had Mustang on the log book.....at least a Q plate is Honest.

I heard that can cause problems if it has not had an SVA / IVA test, you get a vigilant MOT tester and the DVLA get involved. There was talk of retrospective IVA testing for such cars.

Talk is in the cobra replica world that owners are getting "called in" by the DVLA for incorrectly registered cars, and worse case scenario is that they are having their log books (V5s) withdrawn. Going to be a few more Q plates out there soon I think!
Simon

I see at the Autosport Show yesterday that there was a GT40 rep for sale, they were asking £69k for it, a dealer was selling it, to be fair I didn't think it was all that, not done many miles at all, looked a bit rough in my opinion but there were chaps looking around in, so even at that price there must have been interest.
A very interesting show and nice place to spend a day!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back