Superformance FIA - Cobra For Sale ***SOLD***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
All,
I know this is a GT40 forum, but...

Superformance FIA Cobra with approximately 500 miles. Assembly was done by Dennis Olthoff.

Body -
- Viking Blue w/White FIA nose Strip and 3 White Roundels
- Fiberglass body over original type Trojero frame
- FIA Trunk with dimples
- Bungee cord washers
- Raydot style mirrors
- Door map pockets
- Tonneau cover
- Leather seats
- Cockpit carpet
- Harrison expansion tank
- Avon tires on FIA wheels

Engine
- Bill Parham (Southern Automotive built motor) - 425HP claimed
-- 325ci Ford Boss Block (Same bore/stroke ratio as 289 but w/3" stroke)
- Jim Inglese 8-stack IDA webers
- Original type valve covers
- Tremec 5pd Transmission
- Rear differential (uninstalled oil cooler)

Options & Upgrades
- Original aircraft style toggle switches
- Gauges have been converted to original type
- Fuel pressure gauge installed as original
- Leman's Rally Lights
- Brackets for the auxiliary tank (no tank)

I chased down the original type gauges on ebay and other sites (new ones are slightly different) for all the gauges except the RPM gauge and the Speedometer. I had North Hollywood Speedometer re-face two modern gauges to be as original.

It is going to kill me to sell the car, but I have too many toys (per my wife), a kid in college and a GT-40 that needs finishing.

It would cost at least $110,000 to build the car today before you tracked down all the little extras, will sell for $95,000 firm. It is well sorted and in "as new" condition with the exception of two minor spots on the paint.

I'll post pictures tonight or tomorrow and will list it on other sites next week.

Best,

Ron Scarboro

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I can attest to the fact that Ron's FIA is superb and could not be duplicated for anywhere near the selling price. We supplied the chassis and Ron did some outstanding detailing to make an fabulous FIA replica.

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
Some pics of the car.

Attachments

• DSC_0120.JPG
    DSC_0120.JPG
    839.8 KB · Views: 1,459
  • IMG_0260.JPG
    IMG_0260.JPG
    641.3 KB · Views: 4,070
  • IMG_0395.JPG
    IMG_0395.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 2,877

Steve

Supporter
I think I've seen this car at Olthoff's. If I bought a Cobra, it would be outfitted just like this one. Much leaner and meaner and probably better handling than the "turd" (can't remember which driver gave that nickname to the 427 Cobra).

The "Turd" was in reference to an early big block prototype with a 390 FE. It was a converted leaf spring chassis that handled poorly in testing, which prompted Ken Miles to give it the uncomplimentary moniker. This led to the development of the 427 coil spring chassis, which has never been referred to as a turd.

Beautiful car Ron, good luck with your sale!

Last edited:

Steve

Supporter
Nevertheless, this is the car that beat Ferrari and won it's class at Lemans (well, the Daytona version), not the 427. When I was younger, I loved the look of the 427 and the thought of a 7L engine stuffed in a chassis/body it had no business in. I now appreciate these FIA 289's much more.

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
I will tell you that this car is the "best sounding car" on the planet. The Webers flow a lot of fuel, so it isn't crazy off the line, but once it gets revs under it the car is pretty insane.

I'll post some interior pics tomorrow.

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
All,
As an update, my car is going on Bring A Trailer in a couple of weeks for anyone interested. It is a fabulous car with lots of original type stuff added. I took it off the market and drove it some over the summer, but with the GT40 complete my wife and my wallet are telling me to sell.

Best,

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back