FS: 1973 Lotus Europa TC "Big Valve" 5 speed **SOLD**

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I have always wanted a Europa Twin Cam. It is one of my "Bucket List" cars (the GT40 and Cobra boxes have been ticked off now) and I acquired a 1973 blue "Big Valve" Europa with the hard to find five speed transaxle.

This car was disassembled in 1988 and has been stored since. Reality has taken hold (!) and I know that I don't have the time right now to reassemble/restore this to the level I want. I can part it out for way more than I can sell it for, but I really don't want to see this car disappear to the four winds, it's too nice a Europa to do that to!

I will post more pictures, this photo is of the car where it was stored. I just moved it to my shop so there are boxes stacked on the floor, the frame is sitting on the floor and the body is currently in my trailer. Please let me know any questions or detailed photo requests.

This has a pair on new fuel tanks (very clean units from a parts car) that are a normal problem on the Europa. This is truly disassembled, virtually everything that comes apart, is apart however the person that did it is an engineer so there is a full, detailed log and Polaroid (1988..pre digital!) photos of the process and all fasteners are bagged and labeled. An original Lotus shop manual is included.

The body is straight and undamaged, the frame is good with minor surface rust. My plan was to have it dipped and galvanized, repaint the body and rebuild the engine and transmission.

I am asking $6000 for this Lotus. I can get almost $10,000 parting it out but I can't do that. You can, but please lie to me and tell me you won't!

rick(AT)timemachinesauto.com or 716.407.0975

I will get detailed photos up in a couple of days when I can get the body out of the trailer and onto our GT roller cart.

Attachments

• Europa TC.jpg
    Europa TC.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 2,046

NickD

Supporter
That post takes me back. I used to own an original Lotus Europa JPS big valve 5 speed with the oatmeal interior. Built in 1972 and number 72 of the limited edition production. She was a beauty and apart from suffering bad under-steer in wet weather, was still one of the fastest and best handling things around back in 1988 when I owned her ;-))))

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
This one is blue with the black interior. I have had a couple of calls already so I trust this will be going to a new home for proper reassembly and driving enjoyment!

I remember in 1972, looking at a John Player Special, at a dealer in Toledo, Ohio. My wife and I were sitting in the car, in the showroom, warming it up to take it for a test drive. All of a sudden something fell on my foot and the engine is revving like crazy. The gas pedal assembly fell off. Told the dealer he can be lucky it happened here and not on the highway. The fit and finish of the interior was the worse I've seen on any new car. Needless to say, I didn't buy it.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I remember in 1972, looking at a John Player Special, at a dealer in Toledo, Ohio. My wife and I were sitting in the car, in the showroom, warming it up to take it for a test drive. All of a sudden something fell on my foot and the engine is revving like crazy. The gas pedal assembly fell off. Told the dealer he can be lucky it happened here and not on the highway. The fit and finish of the interior was the worse I've seen on any new car. Needless to say, I didn't buy it.

Originally Lotus sold cars in the UK as "kits" to avoid high purchase taxes........many owners of older Lotus' will say they never stopped selling kits!

This is a genuine "basket case" but is all there and really very nice to start with. I had a buyer in to look at it that was pleased with what he saw. If he can convince his wife that he can do the build it will be gone.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
SOLD!
Now in the greater Chicago area, I delivered it to the new owner. He can sell the big valve twin cam for 80% of the purchase price of the complete Europa!

Back