Superformance GT40 MkI ***SOLD***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
It's with trepidation I have decided to offer P2161 for sale. I have invested hundreds of hours and many thousands of dollars making this car as perfect as it can be. The car's history is well documented on this site and I have included a link to the build thread below. Please contact me directly if interested or wanting to learn more about the car.

Please help me keep this thread specific to the sale of the car. I'm happy to share my thoughts on the sale for anyone who would like to contact me offline.

To potential buyers, I assure that you won't be disappointed. The car is everything you can imagine and more. The attention to detail very high. Not counting the hundreds of hours of my time invested, I'm sure I have well north of $200K in the car. I'm a little scared to add it up. I'm asking $175K and not sure I would move much off that.

Please contact me(Michael Hainey) at (three zero three) - six three eight - eight seven six zero or michaeldhainey at gmail dot com. The car is located in Denver, Colorado US.

Something is missing

gt40-1.jpg

gt40-2.jpg

gt40-4.jpg

gt40-5.jpg

gt40-6.jpg

gt40-7.jpg

gt40-8.jpg

2016041101.jpg

2016041102.jpg

2016062500.jpg

2016062501.jpg

2016062603.jpg

2017082000.jpg

2017082001.jpg

2017091000.jpg

ko1.jpg

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks guys we'll see what happens. I thought I would list it here before anywhere else.

Last edited:
What the heck happened Mike? You spent all that time researching the motor you wanted and only had it on the road a couple times and seemed really happy with the final product!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Mike, I am very happy with the way it came out. The car is flawless inside out top to bottom. I have some other things going on that have led me to offer it up. That and if I ever wanted to sell it now is the time since it is in simply perfect condition. Will play it by ear for now.

Mike,

I’m sorry to hear you are offering it for sale. Few people seem to enjoy their cars as much as you enjoy yours—and with good reason. It’s a fantastic car.

I hope that you can successfully overcome whatever issues you face, before you find a buyer for the car, so that at the other end of them you can continue to enjoy it as you have done (and allow us, particularly wanna-bees like me, to continue to live vicariously through your YouTube exploits!).

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Thank you Mike. I do enjoy the car immensely and also enjoy reading and viewing other people's experiences with their GT40s. I wish the US community was more active and tight knit but that is unrelated to my thoughts on selling the car. I've had either a Ford GT or GT40 for nearly 10 years now and have thoroughly enjoyed the experiences afford by these cars. They are the center of attention no matter where you go. I truly believe the GT40 is the most beautiful car ever constructed. I have an opportunity presenting itself that is very appealing to me at this time that selling the car would help me achieve. I will remain a huge fan of the GT40 forever whether I own one or not. Thanks

Awesome GT40 and I really like the white vintage look! These SPF MK1's don't seen to come up for sale very often so I would think this will not be available very long. I also have enjoyed your past videos cruising in Co. Good Luck!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Gary. I have perceived the same thing about Cobra Country. Why do you think that is? I would think this site would be the predominant place to go for GT40 aficionados.

Thanks Gary. I have perceived the same thing about Cobra Country. Why do you think that is? I would think this site would be the predominant place to go for GT40 aficionados.

I'm not sure as many people know about GT40s.com as Cobra Country only because of the huge Cobra following world wide. I think a lot of guys on GT40s.com already have or had a GT40 where a lot of Cobra guys want a GT40. I have sold 6 Cobras and 1 GTD GT40 over the last 17 years and and the GTD GT40 all but 2 Cobras were advertised on Cobra County. The other two I sold on Clubcobra and I actually found my CAV GT40 on Clubcobra sale section so I'd put an ad there also as it is free on Clubcobra. I think I also put an ad on GT40s.com on the GTD GT40 but the guy told me he saw it on Cobra Country.

Last edited:
Good luck with the sale Mike, I realize how life changes and sometimes these things need to move on...

It is just a beautiful car

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks guys. I've had a little bit of interest so we'll see what happens. Will see about Cobra Country next if things don't work out.

Mike,
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the car stays in CO so it has another GT-40 to play with.

BTW, did you sell your larger 295 Avon rears? Mine are < 2/32".

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Mike:

All the best with the sale. It's a great car, and will make someone very happy. Hope you'll stay around the forum after you've sold the GT40.

Dave

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Dave. I have had some interest but nothing final. The car is now off the ground and getting a comprehensive inspection and nut and bolt. I am making a new center console to facilitate the front lift toggle switch. Pictures to follow. Having the front lift has made life with this car so much easier. GT40s look far better when running at race track ride height. Without the lift this would be impossible on the street.

I will put an ad on Cobra Country in Jan if it has not sold by then. For those interested. I am willing to show the car if you are a serious buyer. With the car off the ground it is easy to view the underside as well. There is not a single spec of corrosion on this car anywhere. The arid Colorado climate contributes along with meticulous care. This car shows better than new inside and out, top to bottom. It is perfect with many enhancements not found on stock SPF cars.

I am hesitant to sell the car to someone who is not intimately familiar with the GT40 and the nature of what is a race car with a license plate. These cars require tinkering and a level of attention & care not required for the average consumer sports car found at your local GM dealer. If you're not comfortable with that prospective then a GT40 is probably not for you.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I'm sorry to see you selling it, too, Mike! I've always enjoyed your trials and tribulations as you were getting it completed to your satisfaction, as well as the numerous upgrades you added. When you changed out that 351W for a 302...well, that made it one of my favorite builds on the website. I'll certainly miss the car and you, too!

Cheers! Please let us know what you do in the future. I can't imagine you'd not want to be involved with an automotive project of some type!

Doug

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
It has been a ton of work but enjoyable. I like tinkering and improving. We'll see what comes next and when. Thanks

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I allowed my old hosting contract to expire and am in the process of moving content to AWS. This has caused all the old image links to no longer work in this and the build thread. I've edited and added a few pics back into this thread. I won't go through the build thread and add those back but can send images of any area of the car someone might want to see more of.

Truth be known, I'm having a lot of second thoughts. There are some interesting business opportunities that are driving this move but other options are also presenting themselves which has me questioning parting with this labor of love. Time and cash on the table will tell in the long run I suppose. In the mean time I am going to spend some quality time in the garage giving it some winter time attention. The driving season is just around the corner :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back