General GTD info request

Well, I've decided that I'm going to have to get myself a GT40 replica. I'm currently trying to educate myself a bit about GT40s in general, and the replica manufacturers. I've obtained several books recommended elsewhere on the forum, and joined the GTD club.

I'm wondering if somebody might be willing to give me some information about the GTDs. I'm interested in the strong points and weak points, and what to look for if I decide to look at second hand cars or uncompleted kits. Also, what options I should be looking for, and which modifications I'd probably want to make. I intend to use it mostly on the road, but would like to get onto a track every once in a while.

My first concern is fitting into the cars; I'm a little tall (6' 4", about 193cm), so I know I'm pushing the envelope. I've seen other manufacturers claiming to be able to fit someone of my height, and wondered how the GTDs compare to other brands size-wise. Can the floor pan be readily dropped? I had the opportunity to "try on" a Sabre this week (a reincarnation of the KVA, I believe), and I can see how I'd be able to manage, with some creativity. A Gurney bump is required, of course!!

Thanks for any information!
Ron

HiRon,I am building GTD just a bit north of you now. When my frame was built, I had the pedal box extended several inches, that modification coupled with a Gurney bubble will provide adequate room for myself, I am about 6' 1". There is a GTD at the Yankee Candle museum in Deerfield Ma, that has had the floor pan dropped about three inches, I have no pictures, but it looks like someone of moderate mechanical ability could do it.
There is a GTD kit for sale in the latest club mag in the US that may be of interest to you, the price looks to be reasonable and it is already in country.No import follies.....
With modifications, the sky is the limit. But I am fitting mine with pin drive BRM style wheels, bigger brakes, improved antiroll bars, racing uprights and improved shocks and springs, I can't let some Vett or Viper ever get the best of me.. Brian

G

Ron

You have asked for a book sized response!!!! Breifly the floor pan is best left where it is. If you lowered it it would stick down as the lowest part of an already low car. You hit a speed bump and your spine will pop out the top of your head! General rule I try to apply is not to let anything stick out below the chassis line except for bolt heads. Especially seats and sumps!

The standard GTD car is good. The weak areas are the standard brakes. Upgrade these. The car can be deemed too heavy for serious track work but is fine for occaisional track work for fun use. It makes it a safer (but not foolproof!) car by having a strong but heavier chassis.

There are plenty of upgrade options that have been developed by owners and there is a good club for GTD and other 40 owners or enthusiasts.

The factory situation is not at its best right now. Whether it will improve or die off is still to be seen. Therefore buying a ready built car and rebuilding it is my recommendation.

The car has many many good things going for it. A properly set up car will keep you ahead of all the other fast cars in your neighbourhood.

Malcolm

PS I kept off engines as your pocket is the limit for power!

Back