Suspension and breaks...from which Ford?

Hi everybody,

I know that some UK replicas (Tornado and GTD) used or use the Ford Granada suspension and breaks.

Can anybody tell me from what particular year and model they come from?.

Also I would like to know if something newer but still affordable can be use, as the Ford Scorpio suspension and breaks. (Again from what particular year and model?)

Many thanks to all,

Javier

G

I can only tell you what I use on my car and that is the Granada Scorpio set up. This is the rear as on the front I use Alcon 4 pots.

The parts I have noted here come from a 2.9i V6 24 valve Scorpio made between 1991 and May 1993. These discs are 273 mm in diameter being a few mm bigger than any other Granada disc. The single pot caliper I beleive comes from this car but is also found on some Cosworth but I can't guarantee that. It has brake cable attachments which no 4 pot caliper has. Standard brake cables can be made to work! The part number from my local supplier for the brake disc is DAD 09 57 99 10. The last nine may actually be a four as I can't read my own writing here! I paid about £25 a disc.

A number of guys have had their rear brakes changed by Frank and so have the old systems up for sale. If I can buy brand new discs for £25 each I would suggest that for a second hand set of discs, calipers and cables the price should be around £100 the lot but that is up to the vendor!

What I have described above would be known as the standard GTD vented rear set up. Don't ever buy solid rear disc brakes for the rear of your car. They do not work very well by comparison. Ok they are rubbish!

On the front I cannot remember what the standard set up was but it was Granada based with vented discs and twin pot calipers. Again Frank has upgraded members cars so stuff may be out there for sale. Well actually I know it is but you have to be a club member to get to our spares database!
wink.gif

However if you have a car without brakes I would recommend you research good aftermarket brakes and go away from Granada stuff. Ok it costs a bit more but so many people go for lots of go power in their cars but skimp on stopping power. If you can stop you gain life to put time into upgrading power later!

Hope this helps.

Malcolm

Back