Longleat,, 21st September

G

The season closes next weekend at Longleat. This event has a habit of being wet, but if it is dry, it is a great place to drive.

The track is up the drive of a stately home, or I should say one of the drives. Around you in the grounds are lions and camels and limas and other natural (not) UK wildlife! You don't want to spin off too far here as you may get eaten!

Nearby is Centre Parcs, and this is where a group of us are staying for a couple of days around this event.

Entered are

Paul Thompson
Roy Smart
Dave Parker
Andrew Fordyce
Roger Burston
Malcolm MacAdam
Ray Christopher
Roy Wing
Martin Weigold
Julian West (Lotus)

Well I am entered but only if they take my car with the crack in the screen. If not then I won't be driving.

If it rains, I suspect that most of the guys will not take their cars off the trailers as the paddock turns into a sea of mud!

The venue is good to watch as you can see plenty of track form a single vantage point and this just so happens to be at the bit most get wrong and spin off. Last time I was there two years ago it was a bit chaotic as it was wet and very slippery.

Tyre warming area ends with a cattle grid. This shakes your car quite a bit but then you stage and settle down. Green light and off you shoot, slightly up hill in a straight line. Bang through the gears to third and you are now going round a slight right hand curve leading up to the first tricky bit. The corner sharpens to the right deceptively and when you walk the course you think you can take it a lot faster than you actually can. However carry your momentum through this corner and there follows a very short straight. This leads you to a lovely left hand corner that seems to hang on for ever. I seem to remember it is a thrid gear corner and you play the throttle to max your speed. Now there is another straight that rises quite a bit where you just try and go as quick as you can. Not too quick though as the tightest corner now looms up very large. It is a 150 degree right hand hairpin that if you take the apex point, you are likely to ground out as the ground rises so steeply. Run about 4 feet wide and then back on the power controlling the tail slide and carry on up now what is effectively a straight (it isn't) as you go flat up through the gears to the finish line. Be careful how you lift off and brake for parc ferme as you may end up spinning as Roy did some years ago. He stayed on the black stuff which is just as well as there is a 500 foot hill side to the right you could easily go over and you won't stop till you get to the bottom!

At the top of the hill you get a superb view of the estate and house. A chance to relax and re-live that run and shiver away that wobbly moment when you were at 101 % of the grip available to your car.

If you intend to come to spectate, please bring some good shoes or boots as the grass is long and may be wet. An umbrella would be sensible too!

Hope to see you all there.

Malcolm

[ September 17, 2002: Message edited by: Malcolm M ]

Altho I sent in an entry, I was turned down as there were no places left, so I'll be there spectating instead. My GTD is now off the road so I'll prolly bring my Lotus.

Ron Farmer may bring his GTD if he can get his stub axle sorted (see thread in transmissions!)

MWGT40

Supporter
Malcolm

I sent my cheque off and entry form for this event but have received nothing back yet. Your list of entrants - is that based on who you think is going or have they already published the entry list now??

Who can I call to see if they have entered me?

thanks, Martin

I was suprised to receive a phone call last night from the entries secretary to infrom me a place has come available, so I'll be a participant as opposed to a spectator!

See you all there!

G

Martin

The situation you describe is good news, or should be! You will receive notification just before the event ie your number and final regs. If you haven't got anything by post on Wednesday it may be worth a phone call to clairfy with the entries secretary. I have not heard anything either.

Please accept my apologies for forgetting you were intending to enter. Lets hope the weather is kinder to you this time! If dry you will love it and if wet you will hate it!

Julian

I was hoping to offer you my place as I beleive I am entered but had problems with my car. However last night I was in touch with the scrutineers to see where I stood about the crack in the windscreen. They think it should be ok subject to seeing it. If they had said no I was trying to get you my place but they said no to that. But you are entered in your own right so that is great.

Dave Parker is coming over to try and help me sort this 5th gear issue tomorrow so if the box goes back in ok then we will be there. If not, anyone with long legs daft enough to lend me their car? Didn't think so....
grin.gif

Malcolm

G

Martin

Have knocked off for the day and have got my entry forms now. You are entered as number 153 so all is well. Wonder if we shall beat the Metro 6R4? Unlikely.

Malcolm

MWGT40

Supporter
Malcolm,

I look forward to it! If the weather is good, I will drive to the venue as it is only 100 miles from me. Otherwise it will be Jeep plus trailer as usual.

See you then

Martin

G

Well that's it, season over for another year. Everyone bar me ended on a high note. It was even a dry event.

Paul demoralised the opposition after his first practice run as he was hours ahead of everyone and only got better throughout the day. Roy Wing was next to wake the pack up with a stonking first timed run. Especially Ray who equalled the time and so just beat him as he had a better second timed run. Andrew muffed his first run but did a super second run to leap frog the field to third. Martin Wiegold (Oh Wyecliff!) completed his first GTD competition event drive and did very well considering the pressure. He will get quicker as he learns just how good his car is. I didn't drive very well. I can supply excuses if asked for!

There will be the video clip and posting on our web site in the near future so look out for that.

Malcolm

Just a short note to say how much I enjoyed the Longleat event & putting a few more faces to names!

Well done to Paul for a stonking time!

I hope to do the same event again next year. The 6R4 was absolutely ballistic.. If it didn't look like a tonka toy I'd buy one!

Back