Getting Closer

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I am very pleased to be able to say my 40 is getting closer. Closer to me, and closer to being on the road.

I went and picked it up last night, or rather Brian did, I just helped a minor amount, and Alan more so (I thought leaving most of it to those who had trailered the car several times before would be wise).

Brain then trailered it down to his place, with me following (and getting completely lost). Lovely place & great setup for working on the cars.

I even have a bit of the car (well I suppose not technically as it's not been on it yet) at my place - a spare tyre. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If everything goes smoothly, there is a chance I might have it for the Goodwood track day (though obviously only spectating). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

You will then see the happiest bunny in the world!

Max (getting more excited)

Hope you enjoy the 40 Max when you get it home.When i saw it outside my house for the last time gleaming in the sunlight,with a tear in my eye i almost went inside and wrote you a cheque.Anyway have fun all the best

Alan

Nice one Max.I live down the road in Ferndown,and would like to get to meet you some time and have a look at your car, if that's ok? i've been a 40 nut for years and between 1990 and 1995 i worked for GTD in Poole in thier glass-fibre shop.In '94 i helped build a GT mk1 with my then boss and did the GTD car club Nurburgring trip.Any how, do get in touch would love to talk 40's over a beer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Lee,

Ok, mail me your details and I'll get in touch, whereabouts in Ferndown (as it covers a large area these days)?

Name rings a bell, how old are you & did you go to Ferndown Middle/Upper?

Cheers, Max

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
It\'s Here!

That's right. Last night Brian Magee & Pam brought my 40 down on the trailer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

He forgot one little thing though - the keys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif (don't tell him I told you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

So we took it straight to the garage where I am going to keep it, only to find they hadn't finished clearing it!! D'oh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Well after some fun getting the car off the trailer downhill on an unmade back lane, ramps upside down (my fault), blocking several cars from getting in or out of their homes, we had to leave the car on the drive/forecourt. Fortunately it is fairly out of the way, and had the cover for it.

I can now go and get the tax for it today (as I now have the MOT), but have to wait a little longer to get the keys before I can drive it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Max

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Re: It\'s Here!

Cheers Roy, certainly hope to be there, with the car too.

Got the keys in the post lunchtime, so should be able to try it out for the first time tonight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Getting quite nervous & apprehensive though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif It's taken me about 18 years to get to this point, and now I'm a little 'scared' (bit like losing your virginity I guess, just not something you want to try p*ssed at a party /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif)

Max

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
AWESOME!

Dave,

No it wasn't at all.

Got the keys yesterday lunchtime. Went and took it for a drive in the evening - awesome! Only a gentle trip up the road & back, about 10-15 miles, for now though. Took a mate with me and after changing several pairs of underpants I think he liked it too!

Just one slight problem - it won't go in my friend's garage after all! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif There is too much of a slope leading up to it, so that once the front wheels are on the flat base of the garage, the car will beach itself. Knew it would be a close call, but it was too close. Now looking elsewhere. At least they have a nice cleared out garage now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Max (a very happy little bunny)

Re: AWESOME!

Well done Max, I knew Brian would be the KEY to your success! Have you tried a couple of wooden blocks sloped both ends to lift the back of the car up over your garage problems.
See you at Bullington Cross, Steam Fair & Fourty chalk and Cheese.
regards
Ian

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

Ian,

Cheers for the suggestion, however they would have to be extremely long blocks - the slope leading up to the garage is about 50ft!

Have placed 5 adverts around town (shop windows etc) this lunchtime, and am putting out leads elsewhere too. Hopefully something will come along.

Max

Hi Max good to see your out and about in the 40 now.Have fun and hope to see you and it sometime.

Alan

Max
The solution is for you to leave the car in MY garage.
You could come and drive it once every couple of months and I'd 'look after it' for you for the rest of the time!!

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

Cunning solution Chris. I think I'll ponder that a while!

Out of interest, that DAX you've been mentioning for auction at Goodwood, would that be more suitable for yourself, as they're taller than GTD/KVA aren't they?

Max

Max
I tried it for size, but it just confirmed that I'll need a post box on the roof instead of a Gurney dome if I'm going to fit in!

It looked quite a nice car, although I know little about the DAX chassis or engineering, and might have taken the risk if the price had been a lot lower.
It sold for £23,000 including commission.
I wonder if Alan has another like yours that he will sell me??

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

Chris,

I couldn't see another one hiding in his garage anywhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Shame about the height issue, but I have seen a few other dicussions on this topic before, with various solutions.

Didn't manage to take the car out over the weekend due to a friend's wedding (at a pub down the end of a very long, very unmade track), and some stormy weather Sunday afternoon. Took it out again last night though, got some great reactions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

See you all at Bullington next Tuesday (my first long distance/Motorway venture).

Cheers,

Max

Back