Registration Year.

I've built up a 302 (1971 rebored block) with an edelbrock 650 carb on it ready to go into my 40 when it arrives in 2 weeks. I'm just starting the build so haven't bought anything else yet. Am I right in thinking that if I use all new parts then I will get a brand new registration? How do you go on for emissions @ the mot - do you have to meet modern car standards with cats ????
I was going to use a UN1 box but I imagine I won't find a new one.
The block is 1971 so would I be better using a reconditioned UN1 (say 1991)and getting a registration that is something like 1981.

PDub,
If you use all new parts, you can get a new registration. The emissions are dependant on the block age. 1971 will mean just a smoke test. As for the gearbox, unless you kind find documentation to prove it is new, then you could end up with a Q plate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Its all detailed in the SVA manual and the DVLA

Brett

Pdub,
can you get a certificate of newness from the manufacturer of your car? if so and all the parts have receipts to show they were new then you used to be able to apply for a new registration, I think you can have 1 reconditioned item (or that is how it was when I registered my car) in 2000.
I think the year of the engine has a bearing on emission levels, I expect other members know the answer to that though. Not sure about the cat issue

Roy,
Cats have to be used on engines built after 1995. Also, I have had quite lengthy discussions with the VIA, and depending on who you speak to it varies on their interpretation of reconditioned /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Brett

Back