Trip to Spa - Summer 2005

One evening a few weeks ago, a group of us were bemoaning the lack of a European trip next year, as the next Le Mans Classic isn't until 2006. Then it occurred to us that we could organise our own trip, preferably to a different circuit, possibly to include some lappery, at about the same time of year as the Le Mans Classic.
It so happens that RMA Ltd are just round the corner, so Dave Morton and I went to speak to the MD, Graham Clark about possibilities. RMA organise track weekends all over Europe - Hockenheim, Le Mans, Hungaroring, Nurburgring, Spa/Francorchamps, Magny Cours and a host of little circuits besides. They have the advantage of knowing the circuit organisers and local hoteliers, and are able to do special deals on Channel crossings, which a number of us had problems with when trying to get to Le Mans last year. Most significantly, RMA also carry £10m worth of liability insurance, which would protect the organisers and the Club should there be a claim. Graham is also able to organise marshals, medical facilities, track side lunches and, if required, track instructors for the more tentative among us.
Spa/Francorchamps is about 25 miles south-east of Liege, almost exactly 200 miles from Calais, nearly all on French and Belgian motorways. It is easily accessible in a single day from most places in the south of England. Additionally, the historic Nurburgring Nordschleif circuit is a mere 55 miles from Spa. But if you are planning track laps there, be aware that the old circuit was closed for racing because it was deemed too dangerous by professional racing drivers!
So, we are actively pursuing a trip to Spa/Francorchamps one weekend next Summer, hopefully to coincide with a Classic/Historic race meeting. We propose to give you a choice of:
• A Saturday and Sunday of Classic sports car or GP racing.
• A GT40 pitch, centrally on the circuit, from which we can base operations, though the centre of the circuit is full all weekend if we choose the LMES event.
• Parade laps á la Le Mans.
• Good quality hotel accommodation in Malmedy or Stavelot.
• A gala dinner on Saturday evening, in what is arguably the gastronomic centre of Belgium.
• A track day on the Monday, with a (light) 3-course trackside lunch, if required. Then possibly a visit to Nurburgring Nordschleif on Tuesday, returning to the Spa accommodation for a Wednesday return.
• A support vehicle to recover halt and sick cars and to carry baggage.
I have seen example prices for various elements of the package - Eurotunnel return crossings at just over £100, gala dinner at £50 a head, trackside lunches at £20. The cost of the track day will depend very much on the number of people who take it up, so we shall offer places to the GTD 40 Club as well as, possibly, to other clubs who might be interested.
Members will be able to choose from this list whichever events suit them. RMA are used to catering for up to 700 cars attending an event, all with different requirements and itineraries!
It isn't possible to be specific at this point, as the FIA F1 calendar has not yet been published, so all track bookings are on hold until the F1 circus' requirements are finalised. Then bookings will cascade downwards, and only then will we know what is available in the Classic racing calendar. Don't blame us, blame Bernie for being picky over Silverstone and Magny-Cours! We expect to be able to offer firm dates in February or March 2005.
If you like the idea of a trip to Spa next Summer, [email protected] . Don’t delay, DO IT NOW - before you leave the forum, as I need to form an early opinion of likely support and to start approaching other clubs to make up numbers.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
The reason why we thought about a day trip to the Nurbugring and retaining the hotel in Spa is that there is a dearth of suitable accomodation in the n-ring area. On the plus side the Nordschlief is just amazing though it would take several days to even learn it first. It makes Spa look like a walk in the park by comparison (in reality Spa is anything but). One the negative side, many fatalities every year and the track suddenly shuts down for the Bundespolizei to investigate the reason. Most of the fatalities expire in the helicopter or at the hospital which saves a lot of paperwork by the circuit management Many of the accidents occur to high power motorcycles and the fact is that the position and height of the armco is not suited to motorcycles so the resultant accidents are best not seen. Anybody with any car or bike can pay their money to go around so you can get Herman and Helga with their three ankle snappers driving around slowly in their 1.3 Mondeo followed rapidly by Burkhard on the latest Yamaha Turbo Nitrous ZR1 (350hp)[makes the Ford 302 seem tame], if you get my drift.
It can rain like hell in the Eiffel, but it's also quite windy which does form dry lines very quickly but equally some areas on the nord have virtually no run off and under the trees can remain very slippery.
I,for one, love to drive around it again and again, but so far I've used a Ford Explorer. Slow or what!!!
I belive the track record for a non racing car is held by a female taxi driver - you should see the taxi !!! She takes paying pax around the Nord and thats all she does for a living. It is my belief that if you attempt to set up any sort of timing gear or show that you are using a stopwatch you will be excluded from the track, but I think that is now the case at most track days with the possible exception of Italy but I may be mistaken. I know that RMA do not tolerate it though.
The best hotel in Nurburg village is the Tiergarten and the basement is the restaurant and is called the Piston Club.
Motor racing mementos every where. Best meal is the Argentine steak served raw on an almost red hot slate slab.
We usually divert when going past the area just to go there. Draft Beer is kept superbly and served by young maidchens in Very tight jeans.

Dave M

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Funny incident in the Tiergarten Piston Club one night during the GP in about 1997.
This pleb liberally sprinkled salad (olive)oil on the hot slab then proceeded to try and cook his steak. Instant large flames, accompanied by copius billowing blue smoke, and the table cloth on fire. Instantly followed by various team members throwing beer to douse the fire and the pleb as well.

I am also working to figure out something for a track day at Spa for GT40s but the calendar 2005 is not fixed yet.
I will let you know if I can get something that would suit most of you
Fred

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Fred,
my contact there is Danny Toussaint if you need to talk to somebody in the circuit there. Your track day would /might then make two seperate visits. Brilliant. PS It always rains on the last week in August. As it does on the first, second and third week (of every month from June to the following May). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yep, he is the one.
I have raced 7 times the 24H of Spa on motor endurance racing in the 70ties and I tell you, only onces we had 24 dry circuit and out of wich 2 times it rained for 24H.
Spa without rain/shower is not Spa...but it is such as safe circuit (I mean the new one) in order to learn more about driving in the rain.
Fred /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tony,

Please put me down as a definite. I would love derestricted track time (unless horrendously expensive).

This is the best track in the world - scenery, gradients, eau rouge, la source - but I may be baised being half-Belgian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Dave,
You are not biased - it truly is still one of the great circuits. When you drive between Les Combes down past Burnenville and Malmedy and on to Stavelot you are on the original Spa-Francorchamps circuit. From Malmedy corner to Stavelot was the Masta Straight which to this day still has the same telegraph poles along side the road. Now imagine driving that straight at 200 mph without seatbelts. One year (67 I think) two Ferraris ended up parked in the same field (Parks and Scarfiotti ?[Andre chip in and amend please !]) The Scuderia started that year running 3 cars and ended the year with 1 (Scarfiotti lost his life the next year) The whole area is just fantastic (in spite of the frequent rain)and is steeped in recent history as well - Bastogne (about 40 miles to the south), St.Vith for example were great battles fought by the 101st Airborne. Great country houses, fantastic hotels, beautiful rolling countryside of the Ardennes. I just love it. I'm sure Fred will add much, much more !
Dave M

Dave,

I am unfortunately old enough to recall watching Clark, Hill etc in the 60s racing on the full circuit. I also went to the F1 GP of 1996 and ended up walking around the whole circuit - including back up Blanchiment and the Bus Stop after the finish. Its an incredible circuit and I can't wait to drive it !!!

Daves,
Thanks for your support, guys. The countryside around Spa sounds rather more interesting than Le Mans, which is pretty flat. Then there's the Belgian grub!
Dave C - snap - I'm half Belgian too, on my mother's side. Like the new website logo too.

Keith

Well that's three famous Belgians. All we need is another three! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So Tony, your father also single handedly liberated Belgium in 1944 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Keith

Blimey! Four! It's an invasion.....Better get my life boat

Attachments

• 47233-cobrarib.JPG
    47233-cobrarib.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 290
Looks like there are definitely more Belgians in the UK having a GT40 than the locals overhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Fred

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
This has been one of my pet subjects (from a humourous angle) for many years. If you ask the average punter to name any famous Belgians quite often the first ones they come up with are Hercule Poirot, Tin Tin or the Smurfs - all fictitious! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Naturally Belgians themselves feel strongly on this subject - see this site Famous Belgians
However I chopped out all the local TV presenters, politicians etc not widely known outside of Belgium, and I think it leaves a list of roughly 30 you could expect the average European might have heard of. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

If you are Belgian, please do not be offended, I have nothing against Belgians (apart from the taxi driver last November who blew a raspberry for the first 2 minutes of the journey!). At least they are all famous for their positive achievements instead of anything negative. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Cheers,

Max (I'll be looking over my shoulder if I come to Spa!)

Keith

Hey Max, better watch out. At this rate of progess we'll be outnumbered. I picked up a party of 6 businessmen from a local hotel and took them to Southampton for a meal last night in the Merc. and, you've guessed it, they were all Belgian. They were speaking in Flemish which I misconstrued as German, and I was forced to eat chips with mayonnaise as a punishment. It's a conspiracy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Keith

Er, sorry. When I said "for a meal last night in the Merc." I meant I took them in the Merc. for a meal in a restaurant. Clearly, the V220 isn't big enough for 6 beefy Belgians to eat mussels and drink beer. I only clarify this before "others" on the forum get me.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back