Spa/Francorchamps Track Day - 11 August 2005

Arrangements for the 2005 Spa trip are progressing apace.
The trip is being organised by the GT40 Enthusiasts Club, through Graham Clark of Race Marketing Associates (RMA), who is well-known for organising track days all over Europe.
The final date of 11th August and prices have been finalised and are on the booking form which I can send you if you e-mail your address to me at [email protected].
The problem has been the dear old FIA again. Although the F1 circus locked-in its dates around the world by the middle of December, it has taken time to trickle arrangements down through the minor formulae to us lowly track day folk.
Booking arrangements have been designed for maximum flexibility. You can make your own Channel crossing on any day (though the Eurotunnel price is a very good deal for this time in the season); you can make your own accommodation and dining arrangements and you can come back whenever you want, but bear in mind there is a 5-day limit on the Eurotunnel return date. Alternatively, you can let RMA organise everything.
Here is a typical itinerary, which you might like to consider, depending on the amount of time you wish to spend in Belgium:
10 August - Eurotunnel Folkestone/Calais, then drive 200 miles on French and Belgian motorways to Spa. The times and distances involved mean that Spa is easily reachable from most places in the South of England in a day without difficulty. The distance to drive on the other side of the Channel is appreciably less than the distance to Le Mans, for example, and is on faster roads.
For anyone thinking of taking a trailer across, please note that there is a trailer/transporter surcharge on Eurotunnel of £200. Sounds like it might be a good idea to investigate the price of alternative Channel crossings!
Check in at a 4-star hotel in Spa. We have a choice of:
RADISSON SAS PALACE HOTEL Less than 12 months old, in the Place Royal, right in the middle of town. There are 2 secure car parks, for 45 cars and for 40 cars; the latter must be reserved in advance. Parking is 15 euros per car per day. The hotel is linked by funicular directly to the Thermal Centre (wives and girl friends please note!).
RADISSON SAS BALMORAL HOTEL Located in woodland nearby, this 4 star hotel has an indoor pool and fitness centre, tennis courts and putting green. There is plenty of free, secure outdoor parking - so no problem for trailers.
The website with more details on both of these hotels is at http://sas.radisson.com/reservation/resEntrance.do?country=BE&extra=belgium&city=Spa.
10 August evening - Dinner at a local restaurant, with a guest speaker, depending on numbers. The price will depend on where it’s held, which in turn will depend on how many want to come. More on this nearer the time.
11 August - Track day, all day for as long as you and your car want to circulate the 4.32 mile (6.968km) circuit. There will be a mandatory briefing first thing, and you may drive as many cars as you wish(!). There is no noise limit and additional drivers can drive your car at half price. You may borrow a helmet free, against a £25 deposit, payable on the day. Finally, a trackside lunch is available, to fuel the inner man (or woman).
12 August - Cruise around the glorious Ardennes scenery – the old Nurburgring Nordschleif circuit is only 75 miles from Spa and well worth the trip, if only to get the flavour of a ‘real’ racing circuit. You may book extra night(s) at your hotel if you wish. This is arguably the gastronomic centre of Belgium, so there are plenty of excellent restaurants in the area for lunch and evening meals.
Return to UK - You must return within 5 days of your outbound Eurotunnel journey; alternatively, you can upgrade your ticket to an any-day, flexible return for an extra £90.
Unfortunately there is no vintage racing at Spa over the weekend 13/14 August, though I notice that the Spa Historic Grand Prix is the weekend before - on 5/6/7 August. If you want to include that as well, go to the official site for the Spa/Francorchamps circuit for more detail. Incidentally the site, also carries details of a number of other hotels in the area. You may have to do a bit of juggling though to take in the Grand Prix and the track day while staying within the Eurotunnel 5-day return limit.
To be included on this event, all you have to do is e-mail your address to me at [email protected] and I will post you a booking form. Then list your requirements, enter your credit card details and post it off to RMA at the address provided. RMA will debit the deposit of £100 immediately, and will confirm the final price of your booking by return. The balance will be debited from your card on 17 June.
Should any of these dates have to be changed before 17 June, to the extent that you are unable to come on the trip, then your deposit will be refunded.

Attachments

• 53003-SpaCircuit1.jpg
    53003-SpaCircuit1.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 336
Tony,

I notice from the ring site there looks to be German historic racing on at the ring the weekend after this. Could be a nice event to attend...

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
We stayed at the Radison Balmoral during races last year.
Absolutely superb hotel, big rooms ( we had a twin but managed to accomodate two more friends in the same room very comfortably [no comments required]. Restaurant in the hotel is BRILLIANT. Its just up the hill to the north of the town of Spa. I would certainly stay there on this event
and then one night in the Tiergarten in Nurburg village.
Additionally on the route to the Spa circuit just north of La Source hair pin (in the built up area going down the hill on the right) is a ramshackle wooden feeder called "Friterie de Circuit" (from memory) - best real chips ever (not french fries). Brilliant restaurants all over the area (try the wild boar in the International in Malmedy). Any event in Spa has to be a gourmet's delight. The area known as the Ardennes is a closely guarded Belgian secret and if you've never been before, there is so much recent military history in almost every town.
DM

Hi,

This trip sounds very interesting. At this moment I'm restoring me GT of the botum but I should be finished before this trip and of course I would like to join. Do I need to be a member of the club first? I'd like to bring a friend who is a proud owner of a lamborghini Muira SV, could he join on this day too??? (Since the muira is actually a sort o copy of the GT!!! (hehehe)
Regards,

Daniel

[ QUOTE ]
Do I need to be a member of the club first?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Daniel,
Because individuals are booking with RMA direct, you don't have to be a member of the Enthusiasts Club to come.
BUT, updates and booking forms appear first in the Club magazine Fortyfication, and there's always lots more of interest in each 3-monthly edition. If you want to join, go to the Club website and download a membership form to post or e-mail to me.
If you don't want to join, e-mail me your postal address and I'll send you a form.

Back