Production Car Status

Malcolm

Supporter
Whilst I was at Autosport International yeterday I was able to chase up the MSA about where the club was on acheivng its desired Production Car status for Speed events.

I pestered John Symes (again!) and he says he will be writing to me within the week to confirm that the Speed committee have fully agreed to our request that the GTD40 be classed as a production car. This will allow GTD's to be run in Production Car Road Going classes or Modified Production Car classes in all future events. Once we get the letter!

However this does mean that the orignal aim of getting full production car status for all classes of motorsport has failed which is a shame but understandable given that the majority of GTD's were not factory built.

Once I get the letter from the MSA I will pass on to Paul Thompson for full publication in the GTD 40 Car Club magazine with the original copy going to Roy Smart as Chairman for inclusion in the club records. I will also post a copy to the Forum site for all to see.

Hi Malcolm,
The above post is a step in the right direction.
Whilst at the Autosport Friday I spoke to Koni shock absorbers regarding the latest 2812 series shocks with external bump and rebound adjustment. When up comes this guy who says he has spoken to you in detail on this yesterday and you are the one to ask.
As you know my cars in build and I will need them sooner rather than later.
Do you have the 'Knowledge ' and do you know of anyone who has fitted them to a GTD

Malcolm

Supporter
These dampers were originally spec'ed for my car. I took my car to the Koni Technical Centre (all of 2 miles away!) and they measured up to decide what was best for a GTD. I guess you spoke to Paul at Koni who seemed to remember me clearly from years back. A bit scary that!

I know of one other chap in the damper market right now who thinks like you. I will give him your contact details so you can club together if wanted.

The Koni dampers are used on quite a number of GTD's that you know, Keith. Roy Smart, Andrew Fordyce, Robin Batt, Jools, Martin Wiegold to name those off the top of my head. No complaints as far as I am aware. I am looking to get mine serviced now (apparently no more than £100 each!). I have used them fairly hard now for 7 years without any problem. A lot of the guys had Trak Spax dampers before. Heap of smoking c**p by comparison.

The main gripe people have is the adjustment. Access is awkward as for bump you have to press a button inside the spring covered area and turn the shaft to make adjustment. The other is simple with a wheel at the top.

Spend £100 more per unit and Ohlim is a good alternative. They also talked of discounts so more than one set purcahse may help. These have remote reservoirs and easy access adjustment for bump and rebound.

Koni units are £335 each and Ohlim are £450 each. Plus vat. Both should last a long long time.

Call me if you want to discuss further, I hope to be in my office by 10 am tomorrow (Monday).

And if Charles K reads this, change your bl**dy dampers from poxy basic Spax things and get something decent! Was that clear enough Charles? Otherwise the picture goes on the net with an email to your missus!

Thanks Malcolm for the info
Hey, this picture of Charles is it the one with the dashound the wellies and the vasaline.
Or is it the one with the chicken the ball of string and the superglue ?
Ohh and by the way tell Charles he left his pants at that strip joint we went to.

Either way I'd change the shocks if I were Charles
Reagrds

Malcolm

Supporter
Copy to Tracy on its way.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Have you ever seen this man look so happy? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif

Attachments

• 72476-DSCN7189a.jpg
    72476-DSCN7189a.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 245
Blimey!! Looking at the 'tyre sizes' - i'd say the 'rears' are fitted to the left and the 'fronts' are fitted to the right....

Nice Tread pattern though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
definitely a problem with the rubber as there is a lump in the middle section /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif

[ QUOTE ]
definitely a problem with the rubber as there is a lump in the middle section /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey Bill - you won't see me complaining /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Malc - you are SO in trouble with Tracy. I told her you and Glenn made me do it.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Charles

[ QUOTE ]
I told her you and Glenn made me do it.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Charles

[/ QUOTE ]

... and she believed you?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif

Malcolm

Supporter
In that case Charles, I will discuss your engine that you want, the new wheels and tyres you want and the new springs and dampers you jolly well need with Tracy! That lot will cause you soooo much more grief than any I can get myself into. Would you like me to get the spare room ready for you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/offtopic.gif

Oh and to keep this thread ON topic, no response yet received from MSA!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Back