Grill for GTD

Alan,

I made my own grilles from stainless mesh, using 1/4 vacuum hose (slit lengthwise) as a gasket, and glued in place with black weatherstrip adhesive. It cost me about $50USD to make the radiator, brake duct, induction, and rear grilles. I made up templates, transferred the shapes to the screens, and began cutting. A Dremel and cutoff wheel (a few cutoff wheels) worked well for cutting the shapes. I'd guess that I spent 6 hours total, making and installing them.

There was some concern over a reduction of airflow, due to the mesh reducing the actual area of the radiator opening, but I never noticed any appreciable difference in engine temperature.

Check out this thread.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-exterior-interior-ac-trim/14285-stainless-screen-project.html

Bill

The question is why would you want to fit them, I have several in my scrap bin that we take off as quickly as possible. Contact me for free ones if you really want them ! Frank

Hi Howard, I was just thinking about taking a few hours to fab up some screens....you don't think they look good? Restrict air flow?

I'd be interested in yours - happy to pop some $ in the mail too.

Cliff

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I'm also going to be looking into fabbing up screens and have already been on the hunt for the materials.. Like Cliff - I'd be happy to pay for a set of discarded ones in good condition..

Howard Jones

Supporter
The front of the car, intake for the radiator, would be the only place to put in a screen to protect the radiator or the AC condenser. These cars are low and a lot of stuff gets thrown up by other cars. I made mine out of stainless mesh and installed it to deflect tire rubber and rocks on track.

Be aware that any screen here will restrict airflow by at least 10-20%. BUT unless you are marginal on cooling, DUE TO AIRFLOW VOLUME THROUGH TO RADIATOR, then it shouldn't be much of a problem. The inlet on the car is plenty large in cubic inches to feed the radiator. These sort of problems can most always be solved by sealing the inlet to the radiator so all the air going in the inlet goes through the radiator. Just something to be aware of should cooling issues arise.

As far as the side inlets. I don't believe there is any direct threat to rocks etc getting in that way and damaging anything. I do suppose that different people would like the looks. So be it, to each his own.

Let me dig mine out of the boxes and I'll post pictures. We can go from there.

Absolutely right Howard, but remember that the air going through the radiator can get stalled at very high speed particularly if there is a mesh screen in the opening. Having never had a rock or foriegn objects damage a rad or condenser we never use any form of screen, but you are again very right about the need to seal the opening so that all the air goes through the radiator, not only for cooling but also for aerodynamics.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I just did a track day that was in conjunction with a pro F2000 event. The soft slicks on the open wheel cars left a lot of tire rubber buildup all around the track and when I got home I noticed some tire rubber debris on my radiator screen along with several small pebbles stuck in the rubber. The mesh made it really easy to clean off and it's not really a big deal but the odd large pebble thrown off a rear tire could damage a radiator I would think.

Easy to avoid with a few bucks worth of mesh and a couple of hours work.

Heres one that was less than $50, made up of parts from the local hardware store

1- Porch screen door, cut out the grill mesh
2- lengths of 5/16" brake line
2- lengths of 1/4 allthread
2- lengths of 1"x1/8" flat stock
2- peices of polished stainless, from the scrap yard
4- nuts and 4 washers

Viola !

Attachments

• P1010655-2.jpg
    P1010655-2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 390
  • P1010654.jpg
    P1010654.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 376
Here are the rears, that promote airflow out (exhaust) from the engine compartment, certainly better than the louvers. Again @ $50.

(note the rear view camera in the top, center of the license plate)

Attachments

• P1010628.jpg
    P1010628.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 405
Back