Le Mans Classic 2010

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
The GT40 Enthusiasts Club are starting arrangements for this event.

All Members should have received an e mail of the details proposed today.

If you are a member and did not receive the e mail please contact the committee

For those that did a reminder to get your forms in ASAP to enable bookings to be made as soon as they open

For those not members of the club perhaps it's time to join! This it THE EVENT and only happens once every 2 years. Perhaps we'll get 100 GT40s together!

Thanks
Ian

Hi Ian,
I havent had an email but maybe its only been sent to area co`ordinators? I`m not sure who would know whether thats the case. I had a call from someone about the trip yesterday saying the proposed location of the club campsite is being changed. That would be a shame because it was perfect for us last year, easy access in and out, being able to watch track action without driving anywhere, toilets close by etc.
Anyway I dont know the details yet so I`ll wait to hear more before comenting further.
Cheers Kev.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
This event is a year and ine week away and already we are looking at assisting with travel, accommodation and potential laps of the circuit for106 people and so far 44 cars.

Tomorrow I will start the correspondence for the bookings/ reserving places etc so please if you are planning on attanding let me have your returned forms ASAP

Thanks
Ian

Hi Ian,

I will make sure all of the members know about this at our Kent meet on this coming Monday.

Thanks again for organizing this event, it is much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Chris.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
This event is a year away today

So far I have over 50 cars / 100 people intending to make the trip

Please get you info in ASAP as no doubt faci;ities will fill up fast

Cheers
Ian

Hi Ian, I am interested in attending from US can you e-mail details?
Anybody else from US interested in shipping a car over for this event?
Dave

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi David

I'll get the details requested over to you.

I mentioned a while back that a company we use for doing our imports into the UK (We import manly from China) had said that they could organise freight and clearance on a container from East or West USA to the UK for about £500 each way (20 foot container) Turn around would be about 16 - 20 days each way. No dobt they could also organise air freight if wanted (My brother could also do this as his company runs a fleet of Hercs!) but the cost would seem excessive to me compared to te sea route.

Now I am certain that 2 cars could be loaded into a container - one above the other on a "stand" type of structure and so the £500 would then be for 2 cars (I do not have the where with all to organise the manufacturing of such a structure)

Once in the UK I am certain that a "home / warehouse" for the cars could be found pending the trip and then the return to USA

And any "foreign" bretheren would be welcome to join in our convoy and particpate in whatever laps / events we can organise.(At present these are being restricted to Enthusiast Club Members to help add value to the membership fees)

Now as a teaser things currently being investigated
1) Track laps as previously done
2) Second set of track laps organised through a tour operator
4) GT40 only session on the track of approx 1/2 hour (this will not be cheap!)
5) Sourcing of all types of accommodation from bring your own tent on the rough circuit camp sites, to private camp site at the track, to supplied tents in the grounds of a private home at Porsche curves along with full catering, Chateau, and hotels of varying star ratings to suit all tastes.
6) Sourcing of ferries / tunnel travel
7) BBQ / get together some time over the weekend.
8) Last year a track day was organised on the Monday for anyone wanting to partake. (Not at the Le Mans Circuit, however I believe on the Wednesday before the event there is a possibility of a track day / session on the Bugatti Circuit (club circuit at Le Mans))

If interested please get in contact and become a member I am fairly certain that you will get far more than the £30 subscription fee in assistance with getting to the event - even if just as a spectator!

This could end up being a big undertaling / and biggest collection of GT40s and replicas ever seen in one place - hopefully well over 100 cars.

Ian

David
I might be interested in sharing a container. Would we need to ship from the East Coast?

Ian
Please email details. My interested will depend heavily on the availability of lapping the circuit. 427mustang (at) centurytel (dot) net

We did Lemans on the cheap this year, I'd love to do it all out next time.

Tom

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Ok here goes and I may well get slammed for doing this but I need information and quick! The committee is still out on this as it is a huge financial undertaking for the club.

As seen above I have been doing the legwork for the LMC 2010 event and managed to make a bit of a scoop.

The organisers have agreed to allow 2 half hour sessions for 2 clubs on the Friday night. The Ferrari club has immediately bought the one session and I have the second session on hold for the GT40 Enthusiasts club.

They will also allow parade laps as previous years.
Parade laps £120 for 2 laps
1/2 hour session will be £200 - expect 5 - 7 laps depending on how hard your try!

Now I understand ans accept the GT40 Enthusiast club does not habe the necessary funds to cough up £20 000.00 for this event and then not fill the spaces and be left holding the can.

So
Do you want to partake in a half hour session on the track?
If so please send your cheque, credit card details, paypal etc for your £200 to our treasurer Tim Martin and make sure you let him know you are wanting the half hour session.

I have also sent out an e mail last night explaining accommodatoion costs etc to everyone who had sent in an "intention form" and the meal discussed therin should take place shortly after the half hour session.

So I believe I have now filled the brief of try and get laps, and try and organise a get-together / BBQ / meal.

I have also been advised that should the GT40 Enthusiast club not be able to fill the 100 slots we can sell these on to period correct cars. I recon the Pantera people, Jag club, Porkers club etc will start hammering our door down soon for any spare slots

So indicate here your intentions and send in the funds

Below is some questions and answers I had from the organisers

I have discussed the proposed track time with our committee and we are, in principle, wanting to take this opportunity up for our members

First of all, I am very pleased to see that the GT40 are so enthusiasts about Le Mans Classic. It is a great honour for me to welcome you during our meeting. I am sure these 30 minutes will be a superb moment for you. However, please I beg you to respect carefully all security rules during this session. It is the first time that we allowed clubs members (Ferrari has booked the first 30 minutes just before you) on the track during approximately 5 laps, and the future of this activity will depend of your behaviour on the track. You will have to show this example!

We have a few questions

1) Will this be an open track session or behind some sort of pace car?

You will be behind a pace car (it is an obligation for insurance). But on a 13, 6 km track it is absolutely not a problem and the pace car goes fast!

2) Will the cars involved require scrutineering?

Absolutely not! Once again it is not a race, just track laps.

3) Will the drivers and passengers require crash helmets and race suits?

Helmets will be required but race suits are not an obligation.

4) Do you have specific sign on sheets and indemnity forms that need to be signed?

I come back to you on this point in the week.

Thanks for reading through this lenghtly post and hopefully we'll see you all on the track on Friday 9th July 2010 at 8:30pm

And I do not believe we will get this available time in 2012

Regards
Ian

Ian,

I'm helping to organize what promises to be a fairly large Pantera contingent; so far we have cars coming from England, Ireland, Spain, France, Norway, Sweden, Germany and Denmark. I suspect that at least a few of these people would be interested--and their money spends as well as anyone else's! :laugh:

Besides, Panteras are at least kissin' cousins to GT40s.

Let me know if we can come play, and if you'd like a little Italiante financial assistance in this most noble endeavor. :thumbsup:

Also, I note that helmets are required? Is this new, or a mistake? Helmets have never been required in the past during the various lapping sessions etc. Will helmets be required for the shorter sessions as well?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Mike

I believe we may have more slots than GT40s and then any free slots would be offered to similar period / type cars

I believe the helmets are required as they expect higher speed than the "touring" laps Last year where for example for the Porsche laps I was sitting at Tetre Rouge and was counting the cars off the track and gave up at 280 - it must have been like downtown traffic out there.

I also believe that to stay in line with insurance requirements any car of whatever marque would need to be driven by a GT40 Enthusiast Club member
(So the drivers will need to join the club and abide by the rules)

I will keep updating as and when more is known

What we need is definate yesses and to see the colour of the GT40 driver money to see if this will work!

Ian

E-mails will go out to all US (and Canadian) and European car owners tomorrow. It will include a form for you to fill in and send with your £200 to Tim Martin.
If you aren't a member and want to take part, you will be very welcome. PM or e-mail me if you want a form; you will also have to send in a membership form (downloadable from the GT40 Enthusiasts Club website go to 'How to Join') with £30 for your 2010 Club membership.

Well, 148 e-mails and application forms went out this morning, and replies started coming back almost immediately.
So far, I've received firm indications that 6 cars will be on the grid. And most people won't have opened the e-mail yet!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Chris

I just looked through the e mail list and could not see your name

Please send me a PM with your e mail address and I will forward a copy

Cheers
Ian

just reading the thread and noticed that i appear to be alone!!! just wondered how many cars are confirmed for the track session

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Paul
Last I heard was about16 (But we have to allow for the stupid mail strike that may have delayed some cheques / credit card slips)

Sp come on people if we do not get the money in we cannot pay for the track time. and if we lose this session it will not be offered again

Pull your fingers out and BOOK Send in you cash / Cheque to Tim NOW

Or we have an alternative first come first served and we'll have Cobras, Marcos etc on the track with us and less spaces for GT40s This would not be beneficial to ever doing this again

Ian

I'm not sure that everybody realises that unless the club gets enough numbers confirmed for the tracktime that we'll loose this opportunity. In other words if you want to do this, send your cheque or card details NOW, it simply will not wait. There is a deadline looming next week for a deposit from the club and unless we have enough deposits from members, we loose the track time.

The Enthusiasts club cannot buy this time hoping that it may be able to resell the places before the event, so I repeat : -

IF YOU WANT TO DO THIS SEND YOUR CHEQUE OR DETAILS TO TIM NOW !

I delivered mine personally because of the post strike !

Back