Gelscoe trip

Hi Paul

When did the visit happen I haven't seen any mention of it anywhere and would have liked to have gone myself with some guys from the local club?

Regards Martin

I was invited but sadly had to decline due to a prior commitment.
Interested to see the report in the Magazine.

Martin

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Why was this trip not widely advertised ?
It seems like it was only known to a select few members.
Is there some sort of coterie in operation within the club?
Just out of interest, how many club members were invited ?

Andy

I wasn't invited obviously.
If something untoward has gone on and members weren't invited from throughout the membership the club will have one less member next year.

Martin.

I feel I must step in before things get out of hand. There was no bias. The three organising committee members attended along with 12 other members chosen from a random ballot of members. When you see the next club mag, you'll see a number of faces from all over the country, not simply the SE. A good percentage of attendees I'd never met and whose names I've never heard of before. Gelsco were very inviting, but asked for the visit to be low key in order not to create a stampede. It's hoped this can become an annual event, those who attended this year, will be kept out of the next ballot for fairness. However, it takes a lot of organising and I'd ask those who are shouting loudest here to use their energies in a positive way and stand up to volunteer to organise similar trips in the future. I can honestly say, that a number of committee members who do put a lot of work into our club, weren't fortunate enough to find their names coming out of the ballot either. If this nonsense carries on, then the club will become fragmented and visits such as Gelsco might not be possible in future. The committee does it's best for the entire club and I will not let bias creep into our decisions, as can be proved by my inclusion of committee members from all over the country who take part in meetings via teleconference. Martin G, some time ago I asked if you'd like to volunteer your services on the committee, but you declined. Perhaps now you'd like to stand for committee membership at the next AGM in order your voice can be heard in a democratic way? Finally, this airing of views in public is not helpful and can only ruin the good work we've put into making the club what it is. If you've any further grumbles, then you know my telephone number. I send you all my sincerest best wishes.. Andrew (Chairman)

Andrew

Why were the membership not notified that the visit was going to happen and that names would be put in the hat to decide who would go? This done then no questions would be asked by either myself or anyone else in the club.

Regards Martin

Hi Martin, Gelscoe stipulated no advertising, for obvious reasons. I understand people's concerns, but the ballot was undertaken honestly and fairly with no bias towards those living in the N,S,E, or W...your friend Andrew

Hi Martin,
Andrew's right. I was as surprised as anyone to get invited. It stated in the Email I got that it was a ballot but one that was for all. i.e I didn't put myself forward.
Hopefully there will be a next time and I will have another chance to go as I missed it this time round.
Martin

Just a quick reply to back up the Chairmans answer to fellow club members concerns.
Gelscoe Motorsport were asked over two years ago if we could lay on a visit to our workshop, which in principal we agreed to. A heavy work load our end, kept the visit on hold untill mid Dec 2009.
Due to the fact we were still not only snowed under with work and a restoration project on one of our buildings meant that parking and people space was limited.
The club ran a ballot on members which was, im told, fair and square and the final 15 asked if they would like to attend. The visit was a total sucsess for all concerned and one which Gelscoe would like to do again in the future.
The members that made the visit will not be included in the next batch of folks.

Lets keep the good feeling of the club and the like minded people which it contains as one. We are all in it together.

Andy Newall.
Director of GELSCOE MOTORSPORT.

Last edited:
I think there is always going to be a problem with visits like this where the recipients of the visit wish to limit the numbers for very understandable reasons. With the size of the membership we have and the numbers likely to want to go, it seems to me that a ballot is the fairest way to handle things so I completely support Andrew on this. The fact that in this case everything was conducted in some secrecy is unfortunate, but it was at Gelscoe's request who had every right to request no publicity.

Chris

I fully support the Committee on this too.
The ballot idea is much better than the 'first come first served' method which would obviously tend to lead to 'those in the know' getting in first.

Maybe an item on the website might have been a good idea to explain what had happened, but that wouldn't have affected who got invited so it seems no one has lost anything or been disadvantaged in any way.

Malcolm

Supporter
I can see the tricky course that the committee followed with the Gelscoe visit and understand the reasoning explained above. And good news Gelscoe wish to repeat the visit!

However the same bemusement falls on me over the XXXXXXXX photographic track action day (apparently March 17th, free entry) that has been mentioned to me by friends asking if I was going, when I know nothing of it. And yet according to a forwarded email all club members who have registered their email addresses with the club were to be informed. I know my email address works for the club as I have had other communications this way on other subjects. So why no inclusion in this event? It is also not on the club website that I could find nor could I quickly find mention of it on this forum. Maybe I am speaking up too quickly on this subject and that there is a totally plausible reason as to why I have yet to be emailed about the day, so I hope that this is just an unfortunate coincidence rather than a trend.

But there is a reason why it is acceptable to discuss this on an open forum. The committee are an elected body and by having the freedom to query matters such as this openly, it is far more likley that everyone gets what they expect out of the club. Of course this raises the likleyhood of the occaisional awkward time for committee members and organisers but that does go with the territory. The same as it being universally accepted that committee members and organisers are never properly thanked for all the hard work that they do, normally way beyond what is fair to expect at that. I think that the EC has one of its best ever committees right now so I am comfortable that Andrew as Chairman will ensure fairness and equality without too much difficulty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too support the commitee, i think they acted in the best possible way, given the situation. I do believe that it would be better to advise club members in advance that these ballots will take place, either by email or by using the club website. I think the website does need some work doing to it to keep it up to date.

Malcolm, i didn't receive an email about the XXXXXXX track day, i saw it on the front page of the club website, i think it has been there a few days now? I am consdidering going if i can meet the noise requirements, will you be going?

Jason

Malcolm

Supporter
No for two reasons, one is car is in peices with more Southern GT upgrades and won't be progressed in time and two, it is a 4+ hour each way trip for me. XXXXXXX is a great little circuit, tight and twisty. A 40 will be a BIG car to hustle around there especially with very little run off in some areas. Use your mirrors and build your speed up slowly would be my advice to anyone going. It isn't called a mini Nurburgring for nothing!

Back