Hi-Speed Run....again.....

Well looks like we're having another crack at the Woodbridge Speed Trials again this year.:pepper:

Roy is busy building a new stroker-motor and is all fired-up for another blast.

Excellent!! - I pray I am as active as Roy when I'm in my 80's too (assuming I get there...)

Now this is a Jaguar Enthusiasts Club event and we are among a few selected 'others' that are invited to attend too, for which we are very grateful but they did say it would be nice to have a couple of 40s there, so here's the question - any of you chaps interested in having a go? (or Chris - how about your GD Lola T70)

It's an RAF base runway of 1.8miles or 2.2 with underrun/overrun areas and you normally have about 1.3+ miles or so to blast along and then a reasonable distance (can't remember how much) to anchor up again and you will normally get at least 4 runs... 2 x 2.

It's not free - there is an entry fee and spectators will only gain access with required permits / clearance etc etc as it is on a military base but speeds are laser certified and very accurate with certificates for all who take part.

Finally, I must state that I can only forward the request to the organiser I know should someone else be interested and it will then be down to him to decide if there is a space for you - but if you go, you'll definitely enjoy it. I will also be providing photographic services to them for the day as a thank-you so hopefully a few action shots of the day..

Post here or PM me if interested and I'll set wheels in motion..

we came

we saw

we conquered

Well - Ford did that is....

The Speed Trials took place yesterday up at Woodbridge airbase in Suffolk and after a manic week we took Roy's somewhat untested GTD40 Mk1 again for another blast up the runway.

Unfortunately Nadine and Bjorn were unable to make it with one of the Vipers as Nads has an injured back at the moment and the XJ220 was not present either, possibly having heard of Nad's standing mile exploits last year (200mph+).

So - it was down to a load of Jaguars from all eras and some invited interlopers including a TVR Cerbera, A few Aston Martin's, a Ferrari 365, Roy's GTD40, a beautifully prepare Southern GT and a Ford GT that had undergone some Roush fettling and had over 700BHP available - hmm should be interesting....

Roy's 40 has just (last week) had a replacement motor installed that he had built and it was not really on par, as it has not been properly mapped yet and also had other major changes that might affect its performance. One mod was the fitment of a lightweight flywheel and small triple-plate clutch which definitely seems to make it quick to spin up. As we had not driven it before turning up, first test of the day was to see if we could get gears properly and it immediately became apparent that our launch techniques would need some modification. Try a gentle start, or try to slip the clutch at low revs and it would stall at the drop of a hat. In fact I've never stalled a 40 so much in the first 5-10 mins of pottering about. It did get better, but basically driving on the road in traffic would most likely be a no no from now on, or certainly not much fun.

Anyway, enough of that, the runs...

Roy had a couple of runs first with speeds of 168 and 172.5 mph recorded - not bad but motor was pig rich at the top end and down on expected power.

The Southern GT then ran a 178.2 and sounded awesome but the Ford GT then ran a 191 mph - flipping heck ! it was quick!

However, on it's second run, the Ford GT slowed and came in smoking badly - eek! - on checking it had about a litre of oil each side of the engine around that looked like it had blown out between the cam cover/head although there was so much it was difficult to be sure... On restarting - it sounded ok ish, but was very smokey - doh - day over...

I than had my first run and took a marshall along for the ride as he had not been in a 40 before..

Launch was ok and once into 3rd, I started to press on as the first 2 gears just lit up the tyres.. Anyway, bottom line is I managed 6500 rpm and was laser trapped at 183.2 mph, not bad for my first pull as I was monitoring a lambda meter, oil pressure, temp etc as well as occasionally looking where we were pointing...:thumbsup:

On lining up for my second run, it was noted there was an oil leak from the rear of the sump gasket - doh - so rather than lay oil down - I decided to pull out and live to fight another day.

So - my fastest run to date, although I think the car should be easily good for 190+ maybe more if there is enough distance..

A fun day - and Fords took 1st, 2nd and 3rd amongst all the machinery...

Perfick!

A pic from my Garmin GPS...

Attachments

• 183mph.JPG
    183mph.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 265

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Wow.... That's moving right on out there!!!!

Do you suppose that the engine blow by exceeded the capabilities of the breather system and that's what blew out the cover gaskets?

Lucky there was no fire!!!

Do you suppose that the engine blow by exceeded the capabilities of the breather system and that's what blew out the cover gaskets?

Lucky there was no fire!!!

yeah - wondered that too and no doubt Neville will let us know once its been looked at. Re fire - yes I thought that as there was a LOT of oil all down each side of motor from just below cam cover, spraying over everything to the sides of engine bay. The under tray was awash with it and as the manifolds drop down each side there too, there was the chance but fortunately - only smoke.

It did smoke heavily on restarting though, from the exhaust in a continuous stream of puffs at idle. Either way, I hope his warranty is good.

Back