Considering a GTD, however I am 6'3"

I am looking seriously at a 1965 RHD GTD and would like to hear what others have done to squeeze into their vehicles. My inseam is 34".

Thanks in advance.

Robert

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
Drivers seat/floor lowered.
Pedal box moved forward.
I am only 6ft, but there is no way i can wear a helmet.
"Gurney" bubble might help, but I think yiu might be struggling.
What size shoes do you take as i have to be carefull with size 9's? (UK size)

Robert,
I'm 6'2" and couldn't drive my GTD when I bought it. (Incidentally, the one you're looking at can't possibly be 1965 - 1995?).
I had to fit a Gurney Bubble and remove the seat runners, bolting the seat to the floor.
The most complex surgery surrounded the impossible narrowness of the pedals as I could only operate them all at once! This required fitting a Tilton pedal box (which in turn required the heater/aircon evaporator to be turned through 90 degrees).
I still have to wear special driving shoes which have very snug welts and thin soles, but I can wear a helmet - as long as I engage it in the Gurney Bubble before closing the door!
The September 2009 copy of Fortyfication, the Enthusiasts Club magazine, carried an article on dropping the floor of a GTD, which in retrospect I think would be preferable to the Gurney Bubble.
That said, I've driven over 15,000 miles in the car and it's by far the most comfortable that I've ever owned.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Stainless steel dropped floors are available from Mick sollis at Southern GT. They will give you just over an inch of headroom. You could fit an oversize Gurney bubble. Make the seat bolt direct to the floor and thin padding. Th pedals are indeed very close together so I wear race boots to drive the car or you can fit a different pedal box( eg Tilton) in a different forward position. I am 5ft 10" and can just fit a helmet in with my Gurney bubble in a standard car.
Cheers
mike

I've heard that the GTD and the CAV models are built and designed around the same sizing specs, however, I sat is a GTD and it was noticeably more confining in terms of head room. I'm six two and fit just fine in my CAV with a couple of inches to spare in headroom, and with adjustable seat rails. My car has the seat leaned back a bit with spacers under the front seat bolts and this helps - adds an inch or so of add'l headroom - might help in the GTD.

I'm 6'3'' and fitted a Gurney bubble, fitted seat to the floor (don't use any runners) and you should be fine. Depending on the car, you might want to mess around with the pedal box but maybe not.

Buy one........when it's sat on your driveway you'll get in it!

Back